Old Fayetteville & Fayetteville future

CapeFearRiver10

I think it is more of a lack of respect and no one really expects much from the region. It seems that most folks would rather badmouth the place then to ever give it a chance to develop itself in the ways other metro regions have. I do agree the 95 loop is a bit of a stretch. If the river gets developed then the city would be envy of the state. I just hope there will be an entertainment area included near the river. Sort of like Ybor city in Tampa and gaslamp district in San Diego. If not I will turn that scuttled barge sitting in the river in to a club......yeah right

I have to agree. Fayetteville, needs to develop the waterfront. I feel that is what most of the cities in NC are missing, with exception to Wilmington. Redeveloping the waterfront has worked wonders for many cities. The river walk system is one of the things I miss most about my home town. Fayetteville's other problem, depending on how you look at it is the military. Ft. Bragg brings in a lot of people but they are transient and most don't have any pride or interest in the local community.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to agree. Fayetteville, needs to develop the waterfront. I feel that is what most of the cities in NC are missing, with exception to Wilmington. Redeveloping the waterfront has worked wonders for many cities. The river walk system is one of the things I miss most about my home town. Fayetteville's other problem, depending on how you look at it is the military. Ft. Bragg brings in a lot of people but they are transient and most don't have any pride or interest in the local community.

I can speak from an insiders point of view. Most of that is correct. Mant times people get relocated there and hate it the first time. However if they come back it is to stay and there is an attitude change. I meet people all the time who were at Bragg and said they didn't like it. On the other hand it seems most of these people go there and retire. I guess the city does lack an identity other than military. I think that is what turns a lot of them off. That and the other key factors such as traffic job, opportunity and overall atmosphere of the city. Fayetteville lacks a common urban fabric and you don't really feel like you are in a city. I hope things get better in the future. I plan on moving back to NC soon and I want to go back home. If things don't improve that much I will probably move to Greensboro or Charlotte.

^The only real bad traffic jams in the 'ville is around Cross Creek Mall, especially the intersection of Skibo and Morganton. Sadly, there is a lack of an identity because most outsiders that go to Cross Creek dont have a clue how to get to downtown and/or do they even know there probably is one!

^The only real bad traffic jams in the 'ville is around Cross Creek Mall, especially the intersection of Skibo and Morganton. Sadly, there is a lack of an identity because most outsiders that go to Cross Creek dont have a clue how to get to downtown and/or do they even know there probably is one!

I was one of those outsiders, when I came to Fayetteville my first impression of Fayetteville, was Bragg Blvd between Sycamore Dairy, and Santa Fe. My realtor really pushed the Hope Mills area, and that is where I lived for 2 years. During that time I discovered the Haymont area and was shocked that somehow we had missed it. In retrospect I wish we had known about it when we moved to Fayetteville. Now that my wife works in Southern Pines, that doesn't really matter now.

My first apartment was two blocks from Haymont area. My wife and I would walk up the street to the backyard burger joint all the time. Its a nice little village area. I can't wait until mid-late July when I go on vacation. I plan on taking a NC city photo tour starting with Fayetteville.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I know this is a good thing for fayetteville, nc but BRAC's population boom is going to make the hospital seem small again. When the plan for a new tower for the Cape Fear Valley Hospital was made there was no issue about BRAC. Oh yeah I saw how investor are going to make Fayetteville feel more urban to the ATLiens that will be moving here. I wonder how that will work. The only thing urban going on in Fayetteville, is the urban infill.

The BRAC relocation will bring in between 30,000 and 50,000 additional people to the area. I recently went to a BRAC meeting with area planners from Cumberland and neighboring 10 counties. During this meeting they would only comment on the total military and civillian personnel coming to Ft. Bragg. However, BRAC officials did state that the Army is working on keeping as many Air Force personnel as possible. So, it is possible that not as many Air Force personnel will be leaving as once thought. Also, there will be more contractors in the area, which BRAC states could be in the thousands as well. I was recently speaking with a few developers and have heard the numbers approaching 60,000+ new residents to the area. I would love to see a large increase, however, Fayetteville doesn't have the infrastructure to support this large increase. During the meeting they quoted that within 5 years, Bragg Blvd. in Spring Lake will increase from 52,000 cars per day (current count) to 105,000 car per day. This will be between the Hwy 24/210 intersection (or fork) to the Murchison Road intersection. The state DOT is now working changing plans for the Murchison Rd corridor to become at least a 6 lane freeway between Spring Lake and the new outer loop (295).

As seen from the Cape Fear Valley construction cam, work is progressing. What is seen is Phase 1 with the addition of the six-story pavillion and five-level parking deck. Hospital Board Members are working on moving Phase 2 forward quickly that is supposed to add three additional floors to the new six-story addition. CEO Parks and the Board are working on another expansion plan. They are hoping to file a certificate of need to the state by summer. From what I understand, they are working on building another tower on the back side of the current hospital which may also include another parking deck. The current Phase will bring an additional 136 beds and expand the emergency department from the current 70+ beds to 120+ beds.

Fayetteville is also beginning to see an upswing in retail construction - with completion of the new Super Wal Mart on Ramsey Street, which is supposed to be the largest in the Southeast according to a friend who works there. Is by far the largest of the 5 in Cumberland County. The old Sams Club on Skibo Road is being converted to a Gander Mountain and H.H. Gregg. There are rumors of at least 2-4 additional shopping centers along the Skibo Road corridor between Raeford Road and Cross Creek Mall. Work will soon be under way for a Lifestyle Center at the corner of Robeson St. and Village Drive. Not to mention the shopping center going up with the new Wal Mart on Ramsey. Rumors of a new mall along Ramsey street and a major retail/commercial center at the intersection of I-95 and I-295.

Fayetteville is finally starting to show some momentum, and I hope it continues - I am sick of hearing all of the put downs and hope that other cities in the state will recognize that Fayetteville too, has alot to offer and will be a major player in NC growth. As I have always stated, Fayetteville is a hidden gem. I believe that during the next few years many will begin to take notice.

BRAC is adding 100,000 to Fayetteville!!...only kidding. But seriously, Everytime BRAC is mention the numbers go higher and higher, 20,000, 30,000, etc....I think it is great that Fayetteville is growing and I wish it the best I really do. I lived there for 7 years. I think the area would have been better served with a more direct route to the Triangle like an expanded 401 minus the curves instead of the I-295 loop

Also I think 5 Super Wal Marts are more than enough for the population of the county.

Yes u r right that Wal-mart is probably the largest in the southeast so far. I mean it looks like a freakin warehouse every department is larger than your average Super Wal-mart. But thats not on my mind right now. Does anybody have any updates on the Hope Mills Road Development. Now there plenty of development going on in the town, but I'm talking about the part of the Road that connects Hope Mills to Fayetteville. Plus all the Cape Fear Region folks come checkout the Fayetteville FireAntz there doing a good job this year. Yeah its not the hurricanes MHL but its still good action.

http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=256941

Plus there are plans to pack all those new residents that are coming from the "A" on Ramsey St., because of BRAC relocations & making Ramsey St. & Murchison rd. the top Core streets of Fayetteville, NC. This would dense the streets that connect Fayetteville to Spring Lake.

If I had a wish list for Fayetteville would be:

1. Push for making the city more dense like D.C.

2. Making the city a top location for BMX competition.

3. Creating culture districts with are amazing diverse County.

4. A light rail line with stations in Dunn, Raeford, Spring Lake, Clinton, Pembroke, Hope Mills

5. Get more Government jobs & hi-tech jobs.

6. Creating more activity around the Cape Fear River. ( I see alot guys in suits checking out some areas of the Cape Fear River in Fayetteville.)

7. And Last creating our on news channel which annoys me now to this day.

Gander Mountain and H.H. Gregg. Shut your mouth. How did Fayetteville get these and The Triangle is yet to have one. After all Fayetteville just got a Starbucks early last year. Fayetteville is my hometown. But I'm NEVER moving back, can't hold a candle to Raleigh or even Durham for that matter. So military based, and for a civilian like me that is not gonna do it. The jobs werent there when I was born in the 80's and they are not there now. Unless your military.

As with most military cities the jobs are in the service industry. There are exceptions but like in most places where the DoD has major operations the majority of the jobs are going to cater to the federal side of the demograhic. If Fayetteville could capitilize on the military sector and bring more defense contractors to the city then I can could see job growth in the IT, programming, high skill labor and service support sectors. It is not at all impossible and besides the local higher education institution are well equiped to pump the type of workforce needed. One thing to note also these retailers are not stupid. The Cross creek mall area and beyond make a lot of money. Where there are steady federal jobs there is going to be disposable income. You must remember all of those GIs over in Irag and Afghanistan gotta come home some time and they have money to spend. So in that case I can see why the area has those type of stores. Think about it. Your talking about 15,000 t o 20,000 thousand troops deployed at some time or another coming home. That is money in the bank. Cumberland county ranks pretty high in terms of commercial revenue and commercial tax collections. My question is why not Fayetteville...

• 4 weeks later...
I have heard rumors of possible mid-rise condos going up along the Cape Fear River, anywhere between 5-10 stories. This would be awesome. Some local leaders are also talking about building a fresh water aquarium along the Cape Fear - another great opportunity. The city is carefully studying all possibilities - another bonus, I am glad to see they are not trying to put just anything along the river. The river will help spur further downtown development.

We are finally getting recognizes in North Carolina & globally, "Finally, I told Yall!" LOLOL HAHA

http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=260838

Here are some other developments in the area.

http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=260702

Also Here County Business plan design for Downtown Fayetteville.

http://www.ccbusinesscouncil.org/documents...ionprojects.pdf

Archived