Shreveport-Bossier City Photo of the Day

I will be posting a photo everyday, or as often as possible, in this thread. Feel free to post your own as well.

First entry: A small collection on Municipal Auditorium. Often called 'The Cradle of the Stars,' in its heyday this venue was responsible for the fame of Elvis Presley and many other legends. Efforts are currently underway to bring this facility back as a viable destination for musicians once again.

131786026.jpg

Statue of Elvis Presley in front of the Municipal Auditorium:

131788814.jpg

Just to the right of the Elvis statue, the statue of James Burton, one of Elvis' guitarists and a lifelong resident of Shreveport who still calls this city home today:

131788834.jpg

An extra bit of trivia related to this building and its history. Just a few years ago, Shreveport became only the second city in the entire nation to be granted permission, by Elvis Presley Enterprises, to name a street in honor of The King.

I present to you... Elvis Presley Avenue.

elvis5.jpg

image courtesy of the city of Shreveport website.

Edited by supkof

Great pictures, Brian! And thanks for starting a photo thread for the forum! :thumbsup:

I'll definately post a photo in this thread as often as possible, but until I'm able to make it up to Shreveport again, most of the photos that I'll post will be old.

I'll start off with one that everyone has already seen, but I really like this photo for some reason :D...

IMG_0319.jpg

Hey, Supkof . I like your I-69 logo under your name, and Shreveport Skyline logo for the forum.

Nice pics, interesting story with the music venue. Thats good news , it needs to be restored and have another "heyday".

NCB , you have a nice logo too . I am bias towards our state flag.

I also like your avatar and signature, Brian! Especially the Shreveport picture!

Thanks Richy! You should get an avatar of your own too! A Louisiana related avatar, as well as your location listed as "Baton Rouge" could really help spread some Louisiana spirit around the forum! :D

Nice shot, Brian!

I would definately say that Macaroni Grill is one of my favorite national restaurants. :D

Dude, you have no idea how excited I was when I first found out we were getting one in Shreveport. I'd eaten before at the Macaroni Grill by the zoo in Fort Worth and loved it.

Louisiana Tower (also known as Hibernia Bank Tower,) downtown Shreveport. I took these about 2 weekends ago.

137849810.jpg

137849814.jpg

137849813.jpg

By the way, my picture of the day was going to be Air Force One. I looked over off the freeway this morning and saw it sitting on a tarmac at Barksdale, so I was going to take a picture of it. I've seen it so many times in the last few years, but I never had my camera handy! When I reached down for my camera this time - which I now typically keep in its case in the console of my car - I realized my trusty camera was still sitting on my desk at work because I keep forgetting to download my latest pictures from it!! I was so frustrated. Anyway, what made me want to look over toward Barksdale today was that all the signs on the freeway which normally read 'Barksdale Air Force Base, 1 mi.' or whatever were painted over. Everything else was still on them... steet names, distances, and all... everything but 'Barksdale Air Force Base.'

I've come back to edit and add to this post. I know I already posted my photos of the day, but I have to add one more. This one I just edited and am proud of how cool it turned out.

It's a photo of 2 buildings taken from in front of the Greater Shreveport Chamber of Comemrce building. I made it black and white but then I went back and colored in the red and blue on the American flag. I love this picture, and it's now my desktop image as well!

137865838.jpg

Edited by supkof

Here's one for today.

One of my favorite Shreveport skyline shots that I have taken. The Shreveport skyline from I-220 over the Red River in the early morning. :D

IMG_0484.jpg

This is one of my favorite views of the skyline... so I love this shot. I've always wanted to get a shot of the skyline from that viewpoint, but being the driver most of the time, I'd have to pull over on the bridge and I don't think I wanna do that.

Texas Street Bridge over the Red River

63928988-M.jpg

Thanks for that, byrde! I can't believe I forgot to post a photo for today, so you saved me before midnight! :)

Is that your own photo? I never thought to get down on the boat dock below the park to take a photo... great location and great choice of scenery (the neon bridge.)

Thanks for that, byrde! I can't believe I forgot to post a photo for today, so you saved me before midnight! :)

Is that your own photo? I never thought to get down on the boat dock below the park to take a photo... great location and great choice of scenery (the neon bridge.)

Yes that's my photo. I was down at the Riverfront park and noticed the gate down to the dock was open. I walked down to take a few shots. I should have had my tripod. I did not expect to be able to get such a good shot of the bridge with out the tripod.

Yes that's my photo. I was down at the Riverfront park and noticed the gate down to the dock was open. I walked down to take a few shots. I should have had my tripod. I did not expect to be able to get such a good shot of the bridge with out the tripod.

What day were you down there? I was down in that same park on Saturday taking photos. There was also a couple leaving who was loading up ther camera and tripod at the same time I was showing up. I believe that park is one of the most photogenic places in the city, because it merges a little bit of nature with an urban surrounding.

Did you see the Sci-Port Discovery Center expansion under construction across the street? That, in my opinion, is a cool-looking building. I also got a few shots of that place.

What day were you down there? I was down in that same park on Saturday taking photos. There was also a couple leaving who was loading up ther camera and tripod at the same time I was showing up. I believe that park is one of the most photogenic places in the city, because it merges a little bit of nature with an urban surrounding.

Did you see the Sci-Port Discovery Center expansion under construction across the street? That, in my opinion, is a cool-looking building. I also got a few shots of that place.

I was in Shreveport Sunday and Monday night. I was down at the riverfront on Monday night. I noticed a bike trail leading south from park. How far down does the trail go?

Here's a few other shots from the riverfront park.

63928806-M.jpg

63928875-M.jpg

63928890-M.jpg

63928902-M.jpg

Awesome shots, byrde, and thanks for sharing them!! By the way, a little piece of information you don't care about but I'm going to share anyway. Just over 4 years ago, I proposed to my wife on one of those benches at the top of that fountain. :) That was before the park was renovated. Back then the fountain was there, but everything else was just grass. There was no "river walk" portion, nor any of those rose sculptures. The Boardwalk wasn't on the other side of the river, either... all that was over there at that time were old rundown homes and lots and lots of trees. It was a much different sight back then, but it was still my favorite spot and that's why I proposed there. And obviously she said yes. :)

About the trail... it goes all the way to the Jimmie Davis Bridge, across the parkway from the Island Park TND. If you look at a map of Shreveport, follow the parkway from the downtown park, all the way down the river to the Jimmie Davis Bridge... that's a long bike trail. I used to walk, run, and ride my bike along that trail all the time. It's a beautiful trail the entire way.

Looks like I've made it with my daily photo, with less than 20 minutes left in this Tuesday, April 11, 2006!

This is one of my favorite photos. And of course I'm an idiot because I took this while driving along about 60 one weekend.

Imagine this view, but with all lanes completely clogged and moving only about 30-40 mph, with cars steadily merging in and raising my blood pressure to unhealthy levels!! That's exactly my view every single morning of the work week, anywhere between 7:00 and 7:30 am. But regardless, this view makes my day every single morning, and when I see it in my rearview every evening on my way home, I swell with pride. I love that skyline... it's gorgeous and it's home.

89152772.jpg

Edited by SBCmetroguy