Shreveport-Bossier City Photo of the Day

Yeah the architecture is a mixture of French, Mediterranean, Caribbean, and West Indies architectural styles. In that first photo what you're actually seeing are the Island Park luxury apartments, and in the third photo you can see the Riverwalk luxury apartments which are right next door. I also have a photo or two where the Champion Lake luxury apartments are visible as well, since they're off on the other side of the property.

The actual Island Park condos have yet to begin construction; sand is currently being pumped in from the river to build the site up, the same way the entire Island Park site has been done so far. Once enough river sand has been pumped in, they can move further. Originally they'd planned a condo tower but have decided, instead, to go with a more sprawling low-rise condo complex.

ooohh!! a condo tower would've been nice!! Could've been the beginning of a trend along Clyde Fant, which actually would be a beautiful drive for condo towers with views of the river. :( Maybe sometime in the future. Thanks for posting those pictures Brian. Is there going to be a retail component of the Island Park TND?

ooohh!! a condo tower would've been nice!! Could've been the beginning of a trend along Clyde Fant, which actually would be a beautiful drive for condo towers with views of the river. :( Maybe sometime in the future. Thanks for posting those pictures Brian. Is there going to be a retail component of the Island Park TND?

While they call Island Park a "TND," unlike most TND developments, I'm pretty sure Island Park doesn't include a retail component... at least not yet. I used to have access to the full plans, but I can't remember whether or not there were future retail plans.

As far as the tower vs. no tower issue, it was a tough call for them. They tossed the ideas around and in the end decided against the tower. Of course these guys are from Jackson, MS; if they were from Baton Rouge or a larger city they would have likely opted for the tower in the end. It was a hard enough battle with the city, though, just for a low-rise condo development. I don't recall how many floors but the development will be anywhere from 2-6 floors. The city couldn't seem to comprehend the concept of condos being individually-owned properties stacked one on top of the other, and zero lot line as they all touch. We're still dealing with city leaders who lack big-city vision. They only comprehend subdivision development where the lots are laid out horizontally, not vertically.

Maybe someday? :unsure:

Here's the shot where the Champion Lake luxury apartments are visible in the background. In the foreground, the site where the condos are being built. Those piles of sand you see are from the dredge pipe. That's all sand that has been pumped in straight out of the Red River.

301561061_8ac006a9cd_b.jpg

And in the following photo, you can see the first row of New Orleans-style townhomes being built at the Island Park site. The townhome community will include a community park and will back right up to the condos.

301561063_5b50beeed8_b.jpg

Edited by SBCmetroguy

The city couldn't seem to comprehend the concept of condos being individually-owned properties stacked one on top of the other, and zero lot line as they all touch. We're still dealing with city leaders who lack big-city vision. They only comprehend subdivision development where the lots are laid out horizontally, not vertically.

Maybe someday? :unsure:

Really?! whoa, that's ridiculous. even a city of shreveport's size should be familiar with multi-level condos. they must have had a taste with it when some of older bldgs in downtown were converted last year. man, i'm just waiting for somebody with deep pockets to step up and have a vision for downtown shreveport/bossier. Good was close with the boardwalk, but something new to the area that would make people take shreveport seriously as a city. I think it's either going to be Cane's Landing or Cross Bayou. why aren't developers jumping all over this???!! it's a no-brainer!

Really?! whoa, that's ridiculous. even a city of shreveport's size should be familiar with multi-level condos. they must have had a taste with it when some of older bldgs in downtown were converted last year. man, i'm just waiting for somebody with deep pockets to step up and have a vision for downtown shreveport/bossier. Good was close with the boardwalk, but something new to the area that would make people take shreveport seriously as a city. I think it's either going to be Cane's Landing or Cross Bayou. why aren't developers jumping all over this???!! it's a no-brainer!

Because, unfortunately, those of us with the vision don't have the money and those with the money lack the vision. :(

I need a money man, because I have the vision! :D

Awesome set of shots, Brian, especially the last two! You really seem to be enjoying that Rebel XT! :D

Yes, enjoying it very much. And thanks for the comment, Nate. :)

The last time I took fireworks photos was July 4, and I had only had my Rebel XT for a week or two. I actually got it so early specifically so I could take good fireworks photos. Unfortunately I had no idea what I was doing, thank goodness the guy standing next to me just happened to be a professional photographer and was able to give me a crash course. :lol:

This Saturday is our biggest fireworks show of the year. It's huge, and the fireworks are provided free to the cities by GOEX Black Powder, which is located right down the road from my home (it also blew up a few months ago LOL.) Anyway, since they provide the fireworks, this is one of the largest fireworks shows anywhere. THIS is the perfect time for me to test myself and see what I've learned over the past few months. I'm ready!

Yes, enjoying it very much. And thanks for the comment, Nate. :)

The last time I took fireworks photos was July 4, and I had only had my Rebel XT for a week or two. I actually got it so early specifically so I could take good fireworks photos. Unfortunately I had no idea what I was doing, thank goodness the guy standing next to me just happened to be a professional photographer and was able to give me a crash course. :lol:

This Saturday is our biggest fireworks show of the year. It's huge, and the fireworks are provided free to the cities by GOEX Black Powder, which is located right down the road from my home (it also blew up a few months ago LOL.) Anyway, since they provide the fireworks, this is one of the largest fireworks shows anywhere. THIS is the perfect time for me to test myself and see what I've learned over the past few months. I'm ready!

I will definately be taking my Olympus out to the fireworks! I can't wait! If I suck at it my camera has a FIREWORKS mode :shades: but so far the night scene feature was a let down.. I think when I tamper with it long enough my night shots were better.. anyhoo .. I'm pumped! HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

I will definately be taking my Olympus out to the fireworks! I can't wait! If I suck at it my camera has a FIREWORKS mode :shades: but so far the night scene feature was a let down.. I think when I tamper with it long enough my night shots were better.. anyhoo .. I'm pumped! HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Yeah, just put that bad boy on Manual mode and experiment with shutter speeds and F-stops. You'll find something that will click with you, no doubt. When I took my first fireworks photos with my Rebel XT I had NO idea how to do it. :lol:

I'm thinking about parking at my wife's office and walking from downtown to the Shreveport riverfront. The Boardwalk parking garage will be a serious nightmare to get out of, and Horseshoe parking garage will be so packed they won't be allowing people up to the top after a certain time I'm sure. Besides, the light down by the river at the Horseshoe screws with my photos too badly anyway. I think this year the Shreveport Riverview Park is looking good to me. Have you thought about where you're going to set up?

This is actually not one of my photos, but rather belongs to Neil Johnson. It's very nice, though, and used in ads for Shoppes at Bellemead on Youree Drive.

501102_Trellis__night_.jpg

I'd like to get over there and take my own night shots of this center, but I might wait until the last phase is completed. That way I'll be surrounded by retail buildings and will be able to get the best shots possible.

This is actually not one of my photos, but rather belongs to Neil Johnson. It's very nice, though, and used in ads for Shoppes at Bellemead on Youree Drive.

501102_Trellis__night_.jpg

I'd like to get over there and take my own night shots of this center, but I might wait until the last phase is completed. That way I'll be surrounded by retail buildings and will be able to get the best shots possible.

Will they be completing the last phase this year?

Shoppes at Bellemead is a nice upscale looking place. How close is it to Regal Court??

I'll have to look on Mapquest, but there is a large neighborhood in the Shreveport East/SE where the road pattern is really neat looking. The streets are more spread apart than average. Maybe they have larger lots/yards??

Shoppes at Bellemead is a nice upscale looking place. How close is it to Regal Court??

I'll have to look on Mapquest, but there is a large neighborhood in the Shreveport East/SE where the road pattern is really neat looking. The streets are more spread apart than average. Maybe they have larger lots/yards??

Shoppes at Bellemead and Regal Court will be 2-3 blocks away, which in that area equates to only about 1/2 mile or so.

Here's a visual aid for you, Richy. :)

post-9805-1164358005_thumb.jpg

And about that neighborhood, if you find it on the map let me know. There are quite a few subdivisions out that way now, so it would be hard for me to guess.

Thanks for the visual, wow, they are close.

That's very near the neighborhood I'm refering to. That whole area looks cool the way the roads are designed. Looks like a nice area by judging the location.

For some stinkin' reason Mapquest is messed up(never happened before) so I guess I'll sleep on it. Try not to get my blood boiling so late :lol: Get my mind right tommorrow :thumbsup:

Thanks for the visual, wow, they are close.

That's very near the neighborhood I'm refering to. That whole area looks cool the way the roads are designed. Looks like a nice area by judging the location.

For some stinkin' reason Mapquest is messed up(never happened before) so I guess I'll sleep on it. Try not to get my blood boiling so late :lol: Get my mind right tommorrow :thumbsup:

:lol: It's all good! It's friggin bed time for me.

Thanks for the comments, Richy!!

Yeah, just put that bad boy on Manual mode and experiment with shutter speeds and F-stops. You'll find something that will click with you, no doubt. When I took my first fireworks photos with my Rebel XT I had NO idea how to do it. :lol:

I'm thinking about parking at my wife's office and walking from downtown to the Shreveport riverfront. The Boardwalk parking garage will be a serious nightmare to get out of, and Horseshoe parking garage will be so packed they won't be allowing people up to the top after a certain time I'm sure. Besides, the light down by the river at the Horseshoe screws with my photos too badly anyway. I think this year the Shreveport Riverview Park is looking good to me. Have you thought about where you're going to set up?

Im usually on the shreveport side.. last year I was in plain view of the barge that set off the fireworks.. the lighting there can suck too but all you have to do is take a jacket and put it over the light :thumbsup:

Im usually on the shreveport side.. last year I was in plain view of the barge that set off the fireworks.. the lighting there can suck too but all you have to do is take a jacket and put it over the light :thumbsup:

Great idea, Craig, thanks. I'll definitely have a jacket! :lol: For the 4th of July I was out Clyde Fant to the north of downtown, atop the Airport Drive overpass. But with the setup for Rockets Over the Red, with the "waterfall" of fireworks they do from the Texas Street Bridge, the south side of the bridge is definitely the spot to be. I might even slip down to the water, away from all the people and lights, to set up. Just not sure yet.