Shreveport-Bossier City Photo of the Day

April 13, 2006 contributions

The water tower at the Port of Shreveport-Bossier

139208470.jpg

Building #1 of the brand-new Steelscape facility at the Port of Shreveport-Bossier

139208479.jpg

This facility is going to benefit greatly from this project, as it is going to cause Union Pacific Railroad to add to the infrastructure at the Port. Also, I-69 will tie in just south of the Port, creating yet another easily-accessiblt mode of cross-country transport for the Port.

Was this building built for the Chamber or did it have another use?

Honestly, I don't know, although I'll admit I've wondered this before. It's a good-looking building that appears to have some kind of history behint it. I guess I'll need to know when I become Mayor, right? This said, I will do a little research and try to answer this.

April 17, 2006 contribution

The gymnasium on the new campus of Bossier Parish Community College (BPCC) in Bossier City

FYI: when I stopped to take these pics a couple weeks ago, a big storm blew in and I had to stay put in my car. Quite a few trees were toppled and it got really nasty real fast... I couldn't outrun in. Lucky for me, nothing hit my car and it didn't hail on me.

140173085.jpg

140172755.jpg

Edited by SBCmetroguy

Looking over HW. 71, near the LA/AR border. :D

img03602kd.jpg

^looking at the pic, it almost looks like your going over the top of a roller coaster. That area on HW. 71 is obviously very hilly.

I drove that stretch of road every weekend for 2 years and then 5 days of every week for 6 months, but I don't even recognize that spot. Maybe it's just because it's a photo, but I don't recognize it. Either way it's a cool pic. Looks like the Louisiana side of the border, though, because when you cross the state line into Arkansas it gets REALLY beautiful.

BY THE WAY... I posted a picture of the day for today... anyone seen it? I swear I did, maybe it didn't go through. I don't even remember what it was, but I remember posting it.

^Hey Brian, is that near I-220? Because I saw plenty of somewhat-new subdivisions like that heading south on 220.

Yep. This is the view right where that water tower was in east Bossier. This area is partially Bossier City, partially Haughton, and partially just suburban Bossier Parish. And the construction in this area is literally non-stop. They keep expanding Stockwell Place and Carriage Oaks to the north and Dogwood South to the south and east.

Nice pics SBC ! Those condo's in the background at the suburban development looked at least three stories. Are there many multi-story condo's in the suburbs around there ?

That's a tight pic of the new Bossier CC Gym !

The new Baton Rouge CC is busting at the seams here. They got a baseball team last year. Hopefully they will have a basketball team in 2007. I can only hope their new gym will be as nice as the one in Bossier. I remember some pretty good basketball talent to come out of Bossier CC.

Nice pics SBC ! Those condo's in the background at the suburban development looked at least three stories. Are there many multi-story condo's in the suburbs around there ?

That's a tight pic of the new Bossier CC Gym !

The new Baton Rouge CC is busting at the seams here. They got a baseball team last year. Hopefully they will have a basketball team in 2007. I can only hope their new gym will be as nice as the one in Bossier. I remember some pretty good basketball talent to come out of Bossier CC.

That building is 3 stories I believe, and pretty much a rarity in the suburban areas around here. But with that area of Haughton and the Benton area building up, I'd expect to see more within the next few years in those areas. I also wouldn't be surprised to see some get built in Greenwood as that town is finally making the shift into a true suburb rather than just a neighboring rural community. But I believe it will be relatively slow as for whatever reason, this area is still very stuck on single-family residential, and in my opinion that's going to eventually prove disastrous as the sprawl continues further and further from the city's core.

As for BPCC, I'm not sure who all has come out of their basketball program, but I do know Karl Malone and Robert Parrish both came from this area. I believe Parrish played for Centenary, although I'm not certain of that. And as far as football goes, of course the man, Terry Bradshaw is a Shreveport native. That's why the Inner Loop 3132 is now officially called the Terry Bradshaw Passway.