Shreveport-Bossier City Photo of the Day

I haven't taken a photo of Shreveport-Bossier in a while. Bored with it. I still take too many photos, just not many of the cities.

Nice Boardwalk shot. Is this new or old?

That's a new shot. Was up there back on the 21st of April.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the compliments on the photos, Richy! :)

And yeah, the street smarts are important, but I have realized lately, though, that since I've lived in good neighborhoods for the past few years, I've actually started to look more preppy and lose a bit of my street smarts. :-/ It's kind of scary to think that one of these days I could become an easy target just by losing what I learned as a child and young man.

You can leave the hood but the hood won't leave you. Once you grow up in the inner-city, it stays with you; it doesn't matter if you lived in good neighborhoods, the hood has a way of sticking with you :thumbsup: I'm a product of the streets, that won't ever change. I can live in Eastover or the Garden District, but still keep my 13th Ward roots. People are gonna test you, so you gotta let them know that testing you isn't wise because of the extreme repercussions that follow. They'll back off once you let them know you mean business. Even though I got out of the street life, I can still bring it if necessary. Now that I'm older, I avoid beef as much as possible, but if it comes down to it, I can handle myself. Nobody in New Orleans is gonna test me for 2 reasons: 1.I'm a big dude (6'2, combination of Ronnie Coleman & Walter Thomas, speed like Michael Johnson) 2.I can match fighting styles with the best of them, but most people take the coward route and use a gun instead of fist-fighting :angry: Also, it's either me or you on a shirt, and it damn sure won't be me because I like living. As long as you keep your "don't test me" swagger & facial expression, you're good

:thumbsup:

You can leave the hood but the hood won't leave you. Once you grow up in the inner-city, it stays with you; it doesn't matter if you lived in good neighborhoods, the hood has a way of sticking with you :thumbsup: I'm a product of the streets, that won't ever change. I can live in Eastover or the Garden District, but still keep my 13th Ward roots. People are gonna test you, so you gotta let them know that testing you isn't wise because of the extreme repercussions that follow. They'll back off once you let them know you mean business. Even though I got out of the street life, I can still bring it if necessary. Now that I'm older, I avoid beef as much as possible, but if it comes down to it, I can handle myself. Nobody in New Orleans is gonna test me for 2 reasons: 1.I'm a big dude (6'2, combination of Ronnie Coleman & Walter Thomas, speed like Michael Johnson) 2.I can match fighting styles with the best of them, but most people take the coward route and use a gun instead of fist-fighting :angry: Also, it's either me or you on a shirt, and it damn sure won't be me because I like living. As long as you keep your "don't test me" swagger & facial expression, you're good

:thumbsup:

i painted a giant set of eyes on my back.. when I feel threatened I turn around and try to appear larger???.. lol na ive been approached by crazies downtown luckily security guards have come to my rescue and shood them away :)

i painted a giant set of eyes on my back.. when I feel threatened I turn around and try to appear larger???.. lol na ive been approached by crazies downtown luckily security guards have come to my rescue and shood them away :)

You and me both, brother. We've both had our experiences downtown. We sure have some "eclectic" people living down there... that's the NICE way of putting it. ;)

• 3 months later...

Brian,

I was living in Bossier City and was at the Rocky Horror Picture show a few miles from where the tornado hit during the tornado. It passed within a few hundred feet of my apartment complex, I was 19 years old. How can I get a copy of your book? Thanks, Ken [email protected]

Hey Ken, sorry but I don't have any other copies of that book. You referenced it as my book but I think you misunderstood... I purchased this, I didn't create it. I purchased it from a friend, and have Googled it but come up with nothing. Perhaps if you tried Googling today you could find another copy. It is titled Bossier City Tornado. Sorry I couldn't be of more help... if I had another copy I'd gladly share.

• 2 weeks later...

Yay... Friday rush hour through downtown Shreveport.

1419777705_72b5f984f9_b.jpg

1420662504_e908e6ec3f_b.jpg

We're very fortunate, however, that this kind of traffic only occurs during rush hour normally, or in the event of an accident. Our freeway system in Shreveport-Bossier is very advanced and keeps traffic moving fluidly the vast majority of the time. For a city our size, we have an impressive assortment of freeway stacks and enough freeway miles to get people from Point A to Point B with minimal congestion.

Yay... Friday rush hour through downtown Shreveport.

1419777705_72b5f984f9_b.jpg

1420662504_e908e6ec3f_b.jpg

We're very fortunate, however, that this kind of traffic only occurs during rush hour normally, or in the event of an accident. Our freeway system in Shreveport-Bossier is very advanced and keeps traffic moving fluidly the vast majority of the time. For a city our size, we have an impressive assortment of freeway stacks and enough freeway miles to get people from Point A to Point B with minimal congestion.

I miss the Shreveport traffic... you can be just about anywhere in the city within minutes... I go exploring around town and burn a half a tank of gas.. and ride through horrid traffic!!!!! it's so crowded here there is no place to pull over and get pictures!!! it kinda sucks :( I miss shreveport... with it's beautfiul convenient riverfront and downtown..

Woob,

I didn't know you moved away, where did you go and how are things up there?

Shreveport is still nice, our fearless leaders just passed an Anti-Sagging Pants law.

I don't want to see anyone arrested for this but come on, why can't parents police their own kids?

Also, did you know about the odor issue Downtown?

The rendering plant in the Agurs district has had lots of attention lately and Glover and co. haven't been able to do anything about it.

The a local attorney took up the case on behalf of the plant's neighbors who were complaining the loudest.

An injunction was put in place late Thursday and the plant is essentially shut down now.

It appears that environmentally speaking they were only allowed to process "x" amount of tonnage per year. They were running 24/7 and had long ago hit their maximum.

This is welcomed news to visitors of downtown, especially those in the burgeoning film industry. They complained a lot too.

By the way, the attorney who made all of this possible? Jerry Jones.

That's right the man who lost to Cedric "Mayor McCheese" Glover ended up doing more than his administration and city council combined.

Shreveport elected the wrong guy to city hall and maybe we will elect the person most qualified next time.

Not just the one who happens to be in the same race as the majority of Shreveport's citizenry.

Just an update and a little rant,

Mudbugger

Woob,

I didn't know you moved away, where did you go and how are things up there?

Shreveport is still nice, our fearless leaders just passed an Anti-Sagging Pants law.

I don't want to see anyone arrested for this but come on, why can't parents police their own kids?

Also, did you know about the odor issue Downtown?

The rendering plant in the Agurs district has had lots of attention lately and Glover and co. haven't been able to do anything about it.

The a local attorney took up the case on behalf of the plant's neighbors who were complaining the loudest.

An injunction was put in place late Thursday and the plant is essentially shut down now.

It appears that environmentally speaking they were only allowed to process "x" amount of tonnage per year. They were running 24/7 and had long ago hit their maximum.

This is welcomed news to visitors of downtown, especially those in the burgeoning film industry. They complained a lot too.

By the way, the attorney who made all of this possible? Jerry Jones.

That's right the man who lost to Cedric "Mayor McCheese" Glover ended up doing more than his administration and city council combined.

Shreveport elected the wrong guy to city hall and maybe we will elect the person most qualified next time.

Not just the one who happens to be in the same race as the majority of Shreveport's citizenry.

Just an update and a little rant,

Mudbugger

I moved to the Birmingham Alabama area! Shreveport has it beat in convenience but when it comes to diversity... bham has it all.. more big city feels.. I knew all about the odor problem! I worked in at southland printing on the edge of downtown.. not too far from the convention center... I signed multiple petitions for something to be done about the horrid dog food smell!

do these kids in their sagging pants know the reasoning for sagging? IT MEANS I'M AVAILABLE to be somebodies PROPERTY in PRISON!

• 2 weeks later...

Quick post here of an EXTREMELY CRAPPY snapshot I took this afternoon during my rush hour commute.

1485777413_8a1fa5b71b_b.jpg

For more information surrounding the shot, here is a detailed description of the photo as I posted it on Flickr:

On my commute home this afternoon I came across the scene of a boat trailer - with the boat attached - straddling the concrete barrier between the east and westbound lanes of traffic along I-20. This was near the Old Minden Road exit.

I quickly jumped off I-20 and found a place to pull over and snap a shot, but it was hard. I ended up in the back of an apartment complex and I was trying to do this quickly so I could get back into traffic and get myself home.

It's hard to tell from this shot but this "accident" had westbound traffic at a crawl all through Bossier. I usually don't take photos of accident scenes, but this is one sight that I'd never seen before during rush hour.

...and if you want to know WHY the shot was so crappy, here is my explanation as I posted it on Flickr:

My apologies for the BAD photo! I was trying to hurry, the sun was beating down, there was a fence post I couldn't get around (hence the vignetting on the right side of the shot.... EVERYTHING was working against me! The little bit of Photoshop work I did just to clean it up a bit made a big difference, but it's still bad. My camera's built-in light meter failed me once again.

This shot was WAY over-exposed, though my camera showed it as exposed correctly. I was metering for the sky, and that obviously didn't happen. Of course I WAS in a big hurry, so it could have been all my fault. It's just more convenient for me to blame the camera. :P

Shreveport Riverfront...

This photo is one of 30-something of my photos which I have included in a photo book of Shreveport-Bossier area scenes. I have sent off for the first copy of my book tonight and should receive it this week.

1521251986_ad0ff6c5a9_b.jpg

...and this is the image I used for the back cover of my book. The Once In A Millennium Moon mural in downtown Shreveport.

1521335688_19fa60dc12_b.jpg

Edited by SBCmetroguy