Shreveport-Bossier City Photo of the Day

I agree, the backdrop really add's alot to the photo. Nice shot, Brian!

Thanks to both of you guys. That's really one of my favorite pictures.

I should update, though... Louisiana Tower is now no longer also known as Hibernia Tower, since Hibernia is now Capital One. While I was downtown today, I noticed the tower now carries the Capital One name.

On the subject of downtown, I noticed a lot of sirens down there today, echoing through the buildings, and found out it was the Holiday in Dixie parade. The parade is always held on the first Saturday of the festival, although I didn't expect it to be in the evening. Two lanes of Market Street were closed off for the parade while traffic was able to pass on the other 2 lanes (Market Street is one-way.) There was a trucker in the next lane over from me, blowing his horn, and the people on the floats were throwing trinkets and beads into his rig for him. That was so funny to see, but he was having a great time! I think it's safe to assume he left Shreveport with a very favorable opinion of the city and its people! It made me feel good to see him having such a good time while only stopped at a red light and never having to leave his rig. :)

^Oh I know that scenario...Isn't it just great fun? ;)

Being from the New Orleans area I don't doubt you do!

And yes, it's SO much fun. When you come down the ramp from I-49 and everyone is stopped completely... then trying to squeeze in between a bunch of rude jerks who are trying to keep you out. Yep, lots of fun. Seriously, though... some days it doesn't bother me because I know when I reach that point I'm just about halfway home. So what if I sit in the same spot for 5-10 minutes, at least I know I'm halfway there.

Being from the New Orleans area I don't doubt you do!

And yes, it's SO much fun. When you come down the ramp from I-49 and everyone is stopped completely... then trying to squeeze in between a bunch of rude jerks who are trying to keep you out. Yep, lots of fun. Seriously, though... some days it doesn't bother me because I know when I reach that point I'm just about halfway home. So what if I sit in the same spot for 5-10 minutes, at least I know I'm halfway there.

I'm sure you'd have a great time getting stuck in horrible traffic in downtown New Orleans, then getting stuck in more horrible traffic in Metairie, then having to drive across the Causeway, and then having to deal with the traffic in Covington, which since Katrina, has been the worst and slowest part of my drive home. <_<

Now that is some serious fun. ;)

I'm sure you'd have a great time getting stuck in horrible traffic in downtown New Orleans, then getting stuck in more horrible traffic in Metairie, then having to drive across the Causeway, and then having to deal with the traffic in Covington, which since Katrina, has been the worst and slowest part of my drive home. <_<

Now that is some serious fun. ;)

You must go to school in New Orleans. I don't know why I never thought about that before.

That's an impressive stretch of concrete there in Shreveport Brian.

I had workshops on Jordan Street just south of Downtown. Being unfamiliar when exiting I-20 it was kinda tricky thru there where I-49 merges.

I feel bad for Nate, that "serious fun" would get old fast, but what can you do ? Just how far is that from the NOLA CBD to Covington ? 50 miles ?

Driving used to be a hobby of mine, but not anymore. It's too stressful these days, esp. when people feel it's more important to talk on their cell phones instead of driving. I had a couple of near accidents on the streets of BR this past weekend. The hobby has almost become a chore. There seems to be no such thing as a leisurely drive anymore.

Now they are saying gas will be $4 a gallon by Summer of 07'.

Edited by richyb83

That's an impressive stretch of concrete there in Shreveport Brian.

I had workshops on Jordan Street just south of Downtown. Being unfamiliar when exiting I-20 it was kinda tricky thru there where I-49 merges.

I feel bad for Nate, that "serious fun" would get old fast, but what can you do ? Just how far is that from the NOLA CBD to Covington ? 50 miles ?

Driving used to be a hobby of mine, but not anymore. It's too stressful these days, esp. when people feel it's more important to talk on their cell phones instead of driving. I had a couple of near accidents on the streets of BR this past weekend. The hobby has almost become a chore. There seems to be no such thing as a leisurely drive anymore.

Now they are saying gas will be $4 a gallon by Summer of 07'.

I know what you mean. Driving is still a hobby of mine, but mostly on weekends when roads are more clear. Saturday still has a busy rush hour, but not as bad as Friday or Monday. Sunday is the day to go for a drive.

Anyway, here's another photo of that area at the I-20/I-49 interchange... looking toward the west from the north. This is my favorite view of that area... and it was taken on a day when there wasn't much traffic.

131796347.jpg

Nice looking pics. The house doesn't look Victorian style to me but I admit I can't place what style it is. The interstate interchange looks interesting too. Reminds me a little of what they call the Big I out in Albuquerque. :D

Actually I called them Victorian, because I truly didn't know what to call them. I work as a home designer and I have no idea what those classify as... maybe shotgun houses remodeled to appear Victorian? There are actually 2 or 3 Victorians on that same street, so maybe those were remodeled into that style to fit in.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

Actually I called them Victorian, because I truly didn't know what to call them. I work as a home designer and I have no idea what those classify as... maybe shotgun houses remodeled to appear Victorian? There are actually 2 or 3 Victorians on that same street, so maybe those were remodeled into that style to fit in.

I admit I'm not sure myself. I'm mainly good with just a few styles. Although I'm slowly trying to learn some more.

I admit I'm not sure myself. I'm mainly good with just a few styles. Although I'm slowly trying to learn some more.

I've worked in the field for 7 years now... and no clue. But my boss, who's been in the field forever, may know. I'll show them to him and see if he has a clue.

Anyway, this got me to thinking... maybe tomorrow I'll post my photos of the big Victorians from that street. One is in serious disrepair and saddens me just to see it, but it does appear that it's been purchased and is finally being restored... slowly.

One city in this area with an impressive amount of true Victorian homes is Marshall, TX. They advertise them for sale in the Shreveport-Bossier home sales guides, so I see them all the time. I've even had the opportunity to take a "ghost" tour of one, although I saw no ghosts. :(

April 26, 2006 contribution

The Shreveport skyline from a slightly different angle.

This photo was taken from the Clyde Fant Parkway, just north of downtown, looking south. If only it weren't for those trees blocking the bottom of some of the buildings.

142291439.jpg

Edited by SBCmetroguy

I see what you mean, but I think those trees look great with the Skyline in the background.

Urban greenspace along the parkway is a nice thing to have in a city.

I recently saw a design of a imaginary city called Carolopolis; where they took a building from each Carolina city to create a Skyline. And greenspace along their river was a focal point with the Skyline in the backdrop.

The tallest high-rise in Tucson AZ looks almost exactly like Shreveport's AmSouth Bldg. The crane in the pic(right) is always a key-element in the Skyline, it shows the city is not finished growing !

Edited by richyb83

I see what you mean, but I think those trees look great with the Skyline in the background.

Urban greenspace along the parkway is a nice thing to have in a city.

I recently saw a design of a imaginary city called Carolopolis; where they took a building from each Carolina city to create a Skyline. And greenspace along their river was a focal point with the Skyline in the backdrop.

The tallest high-rise in Tucson AZ looks almost exactly like Shreveport's AmSouth Bldg. The crane in the pic(right) is always a key-element in the Skyline, it shows the city is not finished growing !

Oh wow, I never noticed that about Tucson before. As a matter of fact, Tucson is one of the few cities whose skyline I'd never seen until you mentioned this. Definitely the largest city whose skyline I'd never seen. But I did just look that building up here and I do see what you mean. And the AmSouth building in downtown Shreveport is 24 floors while the building in Tucson is 23 floors, so they're almost identical in size as well.

I agree with you about the urban greenspace. That's what I love about the parkways in both Shreveport and Bossier... especially Shreveport's. And it makes a nice backdrop for photos of the skyline, with the trees and green grass in the foreground.

And yes, the crane is a good economic indicator for a city, in my opinion. If a city is down in the dumps, like Shreveport was from the mid-80s to the early 90s, you likely won't be seeing any cranes erecting new buildings.

I am no tree hugger; but I realize more and more the importance of urban green space. Before, I really could have cared less.

Houston also reminds me of great urban greeenspace. They have a winding parkway that runs-along Buffalo Bayou for miles with the Skyline in the background. I think thats one of the coolest places.

Shreveport has a great urban river-side parkway !

I only wish my city had a nice parkway along it's river. Our chemical plant pretty much nullified that from happening !

Edited by richyb83