Shreveport-Bossier City Photo of the Day

Nice pic Brian. Wow ! How tall is that steeple ? I like the gray sky too.

:lol: I don't know how tall it is, but it's impressive. I believe it's that way because it's the centerpiece for the downtown Shreveport streetscape. When you're on the Texas Street Bridge, crossing into Shreveport from Bossier, you can see it straight ahead at the head of Texas Avenue. The steeple has been replaced within the last 5 years, as the old one had seen better days. I'm not sure if this new one is any taller.

Here's a photo from soulofamerica.com that Nate posted a while back:

First_United_Meth-Church.jpg

Edited by SBCmetroguy

Interesting pic Brain. For some reason it reminds me of Ft Smith. Different style of church but there's a big church at the end of one of the bigger streets a bit like that.

Hey, funny you should say that! While I don't know much about Ft. Smith, I immediately think of Ft. Worth, because in downtown Ft. Worth there is also a similar situation. I guess it's just the way we do things in the south?! :lol:

By the way, guys, just for a point of reference... this photo appears to have been taken across the street from the Caddo Parish Courthouse, which is a little more than halfway down Texas Avenue between the Texas Street Bridge and the church itself.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

That's impressive. I have never seen anything like that around here. I would like to drive on that street to see all of those houses. Looks like that pic could be in California.

Thanks, Richy, I absolutely love that neighborhood.

No doubt it's the best, most scenic area in the entire city to live... and that's why it's made up mostly of the most well-known doctors and attorneys. A doctor, who is a friend of my doctor friend (wow, that's a mouth full,) lives there and said she was on a waiting list for a few years before she could build there. The views from that area are breathtaking as are many of the houses. The house photo I posted in the Louisiana Photo of the Day thread was taken in the same area, at the bottom of the big bluff... right on the lake. This subdivision is full of big hills and Spanish Moss as well.

As a matter of fact, this photo was taken in the same neighborhood...

157632424.jpg

That looks wild. Great idea for a pic. Looks like that would make a cool ride like a video game with the tunnel effect. A high-speed mini-monorail cruising thru / and across the water 55 mph !

Thanks, Richy! There was a similar photo in the Shreveport Times a couple years back and I've always wanted to duplicate it. That scene goes on for over a mile. The Times' photo was better, because they took theirs from the water. It looks much cooler after the bridge straightens out and you can see that the "tunnel" effect goes on for over a mile.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

June 21, 2006 contribution

Underneath the I-220 bridge at South Lakeshore Drive, Cross Lake

157636639.jpg

Thanks, Richy, I absolutely love that neighborhood.

No doubt it's the best, most scenic area in the entire city to live... and that's why it's made up mostly of the most well-known doctors and attorneys. A doctor, who is a friend of my doctor friend (wow, that's a mouth full,) lives there and said she was on a waiting list for a few years before she could build there. The views from that area are breathtaking as are many of the houses. The house photo I posted in the Louisiana Photo of the Day thread was taken in the same area, at the bottom of the big bluff... right on the lake. This subdivision is full of big hills and Spanish Moss as well.

As a matter of fact, this photo was taken in the same neighborhood...

157632424.jpg

June 18, 2006 contribution

Row of houses along South Lakeshore Drive, looking out over Cross Lake:

157632352.jpg

Here's another "photo of the day."

In this photo, I've Photoshopped downtown Shreveport onto the banks of Cross Lake. On the right side of this photo, you can see the Shreveport skyline rising above the trees on the lake.

Enjoy! :D

156808572.jpg

I had a little catching up to do :D Awesome photos man! I like the way Shreveport looks on that lake :shades:

Spanish moss, does that grow wild down there? It looks fancy and exotic.

I had a little catching up to do :D Awesome photos man! I like the way Shreveport looks on that lake :shades:

Spanish moss, does that grow wild down there? It looks fancy and exotic.

It grows wild in some parts around here, mostly back in the swamps. I actually believe they probably grew it in that particular neighborhood specifically, just because it's an upscale lakefront subdivision. If you get off the main roads and get back into the swamps, you can find it growing wild. As a matter of fact, just down the road from my house is Lake Bistineau (how's that for a Louisiana name... pronounced Bist-in-o) and that lake is loaded with Cypress trees and Spanish Moss.

Oh and thanks, man, on the photo props! :)