Shreveport-Bossier City Photo of the Day

WOW, those houses are beautiful! Awesome photos :thumbsup:

BTW, How long is that bridge? Looks like a part of the CBBT.

I thought it was just over 1 mile, but it's actually just shy of 2 miles. It's about 1.7-1.8 miles long. I typically drive 80-90 across it just to make it seem faster, and as long as there's not a cop right there with me in the lane I'm safe, because there's nowhere for them to hide along it. There's not much of a shoulder. :)

That's a fairly long bridge over water, but most of the I-49 Veterans Freeway through Shreveport is elevated, pretty-much like one long bridge.

By the way, what's the CBBT?

Oh and thanks... I got carried away with the camera that day!! :D

Edited by SBCmetroguy

I thought it was just over 1 mile, but it's actually just shy of 2 miles. It's about 1.7-1.8 miles long. I typically drive 80-90 across it just to make it seem faster, and as long as there's not a cop right there with me in the lane I'm safe, because there's nowhere for them to hide along it. There's not much of a shoulder. :)

That's a fairly long bridge over water, but most of the I-49 Veterans Freeway through Shreveport is elevated, pretty-much like one long bridge.

By the way, what's the CBBT?

Oh and thanks... I got carried away with the camera that day!! :D

It seems like a cool bridge :D Ive made a day trip going over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel :thumbsup: 17 miles long, it spans from mainland VA to the Eastern Shore (Delmarva). I love that bridge, spectacular views!

It seems like a cool bridge :D Ive made a day trip going over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel :thumbsup: 17 miles long, it spans from mainland VA to the Eastern Shore (Delmarva). I love that bridge, spectacular views!

Ahh... now that bridge is closer to the Pontchartrain Causweay in New Orleans! It's the longest bridge in the US, maybe in the world, at 26 miles. That's the bridge you want to compare to, not this little bitty (relatively speaking) thing in Shreveport! :D

Ahh... now that bridge is closer to the Pontchartrain Causweay in New Orleans! It's the longest bridge in the US, maybe in the world, at 26 miles. That's the bridge you want to compare to, not this little bitty (relatively speaking) thing in Shreveport! :D

26 miles :blink: Thats amazing! Makes the Bay Bridge seem wimpy :lol:

26 miles :blink: Thats amazing! Makes the Bay Bridge seem wimpy :lol:

Maybe, but 17 miles is still one long effing bridge! :)

Can you imagine commuting to work everyday from the suburbs over a 26-mile bridge? I can't, but I know NCB can... haha. Because if he stays in Covington and works in New Orleans, that's going to be his daily commute.

Let's look at buildings with comparable heights:

The Fairfield Tower in Shreveport is residential at 12 floors:

153969853.jpg

Here's a photo I took of this same building today. Apparently their remodel is moving along, because as I was going down I-49 I realized the areas that were painted maroon are now painted green. Sorry, my photo is a bit washed-out... I just couldn't avoid the sun in that area.

160284385.jpg

Here's a photo I took of this same building today. Apparently their remodel is moving along, because as I was going down I-49 I realized the areas that were painted maroon are now painted green. Sorry, my photo is a bit washed-out... I just couldn't avoid the sun in that area.

160284385.jpg

This picture reminds me of 2 other cylindrical towers; the Best Western Landmark hotel (best western pic) in Metarie, and the Bellevue apts (bellevue apts pic) in Memphis.

Richyb, I have to disagree with you. If anything, these buildings are reminiscent of the 1970s what-not-to-do design. At least the Fairfield tower in Shreveport has inset balconies. But with that said, high rises like these are basically rights-of-passage endured by many American cities 30+ years ago.

The Slattery building in Shreveport, the capitol in BR, the Hibernia tower in NO; these are towers I cherish and wish every city had. That doesn't mean towers like the Fairfield aren't special. I'm just saying they're more like bumps along the road; they can still inspire nostalgia for the city in which they were built, so in that respect, they are iconic just the same.

Edited by bluff2085

This picture reminds me of 2 other cylindrical towers; the Best Western Landmark hotel (best western pic) in Metarie, and the Bellevue apts (bellevue apts pic) in Memphis.

Richyb, I have to disagree with you. If anything, these buildings are reminiscent of the 1970s what-not-to-do design. At least the Fairfield tower in Shreveport has inset balconies. But with that said, high rises like these are basically rights-of-passage endured by many American cities 30+ years ago.

The Slattery building in Shreveport, the capitol in BR, the Hibernia tower in NO; these are towers I cherish and wish every city had. That doesn't mean towers like the Fairfield aren't special. I'm just saying they're more like bumps along the road; they can still inspire nostalgia for the city in which they were built, so in that respect, they are iconic just the same.

Very much what not to do. The rooms in this building are pie-shaped for crying out loud. Growing up I always liked the shape of the building, but as I've aged I've come to dislike it very much, mostly because of the pie-shaped rooms and the dilapidated condition it's now in.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

Very much what not to do. The rooms in this building are pie-shaped for crying out loud. Growing up I always liked the shape of the building, but as I've aged I've come to dislike it very much, mostly because of the pie-shaped rooms and the dilapidated condition it's now in.

Brian:

I remember reading about the renovation of the Fairfield Tower a while back, and I can tell from the photo that someone is investing money into the building. What are the plans eventually?

Brian:

I remember reading about the renovation of the Fairfield Tower a while back, and I can tell from the photo that someone is investing money into the building. What are the plans eventually?

To be honest, I never heard what the ultimate plans were for the place. As a matter of fact, even when the Shreveport Times reported on it a while back, they were unsure of the new owner's plans upon evicting all its residents.

June 27, 2006 contributions

Two photos of Eastgate Shopping Center, southeast Shreveport

This suburban shopping strip, located in Shreveport's hottest shopping district (southeast Shreveport,) was remodeled in late 2005. The strip was almost completely vacant, as its major tenants, Kroger, K-Mart, and Service Merchandise closed. The only of those stores to remain in that area was Kroger, which moved into a bigger, newer shopping directly center across the street. The old K-Mart location now houses a Belk department store, and the old Service Merchandise location now houses a Hobby Lobby. Off the top of my head, the major tenants in this center now are: Belk, Marshalls, Hobby Lobby, Ross Dress for Less, Haverty's, Office Depot, Stage, Shoe Carnival, Radio Shack, and Carrabba's Italian Grill. FYI: the Office Depot, Stage, and Radio Shack stores were in the center long before the transformation and were the last major holdouts. I'm sure they're glad they stuck around.

160284092.jpg

160284059.jpg

Edited by SBCmetroguy

June 27, 2006 contributions

Two photos of Eastgate Shopping Center, southeast Shreveport

This suburban shopping strip, located in Shreveport's hottest shopping district (southeast Shreveport,) was remodeled in late 2005. The strip was almost completely vacant, as its major tenants, Kroger, K-Mart, and Service Merchandise closed. The only of those stores to remain in that area was Kroger, which moved into a bigger, newer shopping directly center across the street. The old K-Mart location now houses a Belk department store, and the old Service Merchandise location now houses a Hobby Lobby. Off the top of my head, the major tenants in this center now are: Belk, Marshalls, Hobby Lobby, Ross Dress for Less, Haverty's, Office Depot, Stage, Shoe Carnival, Radio Shack, and Carrabba's Italian Grill. FYI: the Office Depot, Stage, and Radio Shack stores were in the center long before the transformation and were the last major holdouts. I'm sure they're glad they stuck around.

They did a great job on that remodel. I remember watching Jurassic Park at the theater that used to be there, years ago. I'm glad the center is back again. Hopefully Shreve City will rebound well when the Wal-Mart is done.

They did a great job on that remodel. I remember watching Jurassic Park at the theater that used to be there, years ago. I'm glad the center is back again. Hopefully Shreve City will rebound well when the Wal-Mart is done.

Ha! Yes, I also remember seeing Jurassic Park at that theater when I was younger... and Aladdin.

^Thanks, you guys, for that reminder!! I'd honestly forgotten all about that theater, since that entire section of the center was completely demolished to make way for the new stores. Wow, what a trip down memory lane that was. I've seen only a couple of movies there, as my neighborhood was north Bossier, but I do vaguely recall the theater.

Sorry Brian. I don't know how I missed the pic with the East Gate Shopping Center. That's a great looking (re)development; A large area too. Carrabas and hottest shopping districts seem to go hand-in-hand.

Great view of "Cross" Lake. That in itself has a spiritual element. Great location. Thanks for posting.

Edited by richyb83

It was a great July 4th in Shreveport. I headed out early in the evening to get my spot for the fireworks show. A couple of storms rolled right past us as we waited, but they missed us... barely.

I think I did okay, for being my first time taking fireworks photos with my new camera. The tripod was a little crooked, because I had a hard time leveling it on the overpass. The overpass was sloping in 2 different directions, so it was very difficult to work around. In the first two photos, I was holding the camera in my hands. In every one after that, it was on the tripod.

182144409_2b2b169750.jpg

182144332_5fdf5fbd51.jpg

182144447_c638596e1a.jpg

182144533_18f1cc8538.jpg

182144655_7f3a80d6c1.jpg

182144737_1659ad37c2.jpg

182144721_cf0630eb46.jpg

182144741_16c85552f7.jpg

182144755_376d94ab52.jpg

182144761_8964dfa3a9.jpg

And then there was the "grand finale."

182144818_ec027e266e.jpg