Shreveport-Bossier City Photo of the Day

Ahh, shiite happens, my friend!! My father-in-law always types "Brain" but I don't say anything because it makes me feel smart! :lol:

Haha. I still know people that spell my name "Nathen" or "Nathon." Though I normally do say something. :D

^Both great pictures, Brian! I'm hoping to get up to Shreveport/Bossier sometime late this summer on a trip up to Arkansas. If it happens, I'll probably be able to contribute to this particular thread greatly.

^Nice picture, man. I'm seriously gonna have to drive around the SBC area and check out all of these new developments first hand if I make it up there this summer. That way, I'll know exactly what developments you guys are talking about up here, and exactly where they're located.

^Nice picture, man. I'm seriously gonna have to drive around the SBC area and check out all of these new developments first hand if I make it up there this summer. That way, I'll know exactly what developments you guys are talking about up here, and exactly where they're located.

Thanks, Nate.

I was driving by checking on an apartment complex my wife is working with when I realized I should get some photos from the Shoppes at Bellemead. It's a small retail center with lifestyle accents, like a central common area and a quaint, walkable layout. It has very upscale retailers, mostly catering to women, such as Merle Norman Cosmetics, Ann Taylor Loft, Chico's, White House/Black Market, Coldwater Creek, Bath Junkie, Francesca's Collections, etc. The center has very nice, modern, more "funky" but yet still elegant facades throughout.

FYI: when you're in SBC, if you want to visit the Youree Drive corridor, you take Hwy 1 (Youree Drive) from the Market Street exit off I-20 in downtown. I'm not exactly sure of the distance, but it's close to 10 miles south of downtown. Any directions you may need around here, all you have to do is ask and I'll gladly answer to the best of my ability.

May 7, 2006 contribution

Shreveport Convention Center Hilton Hotel

At this stage, it's 9-10 stories up. I must admit, I'm not as impressed with the height. I know it's not finished, but this gives an idea how tall it will be... and up against the convention center the height isn't going to be too impressive. Hopefully the look of the building will make up for that.

153220359.jpg

^You know, I realize that the hotel still has a few more stories left to go, but to me, it sure looks a lot shorter than it does in the original rendering:

383629.jpg

Does anyone else think so too?

Wow, it is short. Here's the original rendering:

153925157.jpg

Looks like this rendering shows a multi-story lobby with 16+ floors. That's strange, I never remember the hotel ever being planned over 13-14 stories. Even still, it just looks so much taller than the convention center itself. I have to admit though, hotel and residential buildings usually have a shorter floor-to-floor heights than office buildings. I still think it's going to end up being taller than it looks.

Edited by fridayinla

It's definitely shorter than the original rendering. I'd never noticed that before... I guess I never stopped to count the floors on the rendering. Very weird.

Anyway, here's a shot I took of it from the north. Still not impressed... man I hope I'm impressed with the finished product. I do know it will be hard for it to look really tall, considering the convention center is two floors high with roughly 25-30 foot ceilings... I just hope it comes out looking decent. Either way, it'll make a nice addition to the north end of downtown and will create a new gateway into downtown from Texarkana and other points north.

153220415.jpg

Nice pics Brian. I think it's going to look good and be a nice addition to the northern CBD. Any high rise building is worth talking about. Really anything 5 stories and above is worth mentioning. Every little bit counts. How many rooms will the hotel have ? 300+ ?

Edited by richyb83

Let's look at buildings with comparable heights:

The Fairfield Tower in Shreveport is residential at 12 floors:

153969853.jpg

This may be a close comparison of height.

These two buildings, Commercial National Bank and the Lane Buildings are commercial at 10 stories, and they still look reasonably tall:

153969852.jpg

153969844.jpg

Let's look at buildings with comparable heights:

The Fairfield Tower in Shreveport is residential at 12 floors:

153969853.jpg

This may be a close comparison of height.

These two buildings, Commercial National Bank and the Lane Buildings are commercial at 10 stories, and they still look reasonably tall:

153969852.jpg

153969844.jpg

You know, I almost took a picture of that Fairfield Tower last weekend when I was over that way. Unfortunately, though, I didn't go back through that area... I took the parkway home instead, because I stopped to take some photos of Island Park on my way home.

Thanks for posting those photos. All of those buildings do look fairly tall, and the Fairfield Tower is worth mentioning since it really stands out when you're exiting I-49 onto I-20.

You know, I almost took a picture of that Fairfield Tower last weekend when I was over that way. Unfortunately, though, I didn't go back through that area... I took the parkway home instead, because I stopped to take some photos of Island Park on my way home.

Thanks for posting those photos. All of those buildings do look fairly tall, and the Fairfield Tower is worth mentioning since it really stands out when you're exiting I-49 onto I-20.

Ah, how's the Island Park development coming along? That looks like a nice development.

Ah, how's the Island Park development coming along? That looks like a nice development.

For a while I was wondering what the holdup was, but when I was through there this weekend I took some photos because I noticed things seemed to be progressing once again.

Quite a few homes are under construction, and more apartment blocks are opening at regular intervals. Also, at today's MPC meeting the Island Park condos were on the agenda. My wife wasn't able to attend the meeting as she's been very backed up at the office, so I'm not sure if they received their approval. I don't see why they wouldn't.

Anyway, here are a few of the pics I took this weekend. I've selected the 5 that I believe show the most signs of progress so you can guage the progress for yourself.

This is the first block of townhomes. There was a huge problem with these which is now being resolved. The New Orleans-based architect they had designing them messed up and shifted some walls across property lines and it became a big mess.

154006450.jpg

Here's the street sign where Island Park Blvd meets Clyde Fant Parkway.

154006435.jpg

In this photo, you can see an interior street intersection and sign, with the townhomes (left) and an unfinished home (right) in the background.

154006425.jpg

Looking between two unfinished courtyard homes, facing west toward what will become phase II.

154006414.jpg

A row of New Orleans-style courtyard homes under construction.

154006401.jpg

^Very nice pictures, Brian! Great job!

I've never ventured around Cross Lake, other than going across on I-220, but it seems very cool and it always looks great. I'm going to have to get off the interstate and look around the banks of the lake next time I'm up there. :thumbsup:

^Very nice pictures, Brian! Great job!

I've never ventured around Cross Lake, other than going across on I-220, but it seems very cool and it always looks great. I'm going to have to get off the interstate and look around the banks of the lake next time I'm up there. :thumbsup:

You'll be so lost. :lol: Seriously. I've lived here all my life and even used to fish that lake with my dad when I was a child but I still get lost over there. Think about it: there are four streets around that lake with 'Lakeshore Drive' in their name. The streets are: Lakeshore Drive, North Lakeshore Drive, South Lakeshore Drive, and West Lakeshore Drive. It's very easy to get these confused and get lost . . . believe me!

But thanks for the nice comments. The area where I took the photos of the Cypress trees and lily pads is an area I've been driving by twice a day lately and I finally stopped to get some shots today. You can't drive past those Cypress trees and not want a photo of them!