Anyone go to the Gervais St bridge lighting ceremony?

shahram72

Was anyone there last night? I went with my wife and 2 year old son. It was pretty good. I think they were giving away free booze, but the lines were too long for me to find out for sure. They had a countdown and then turned on the beautifully refurbished original lights on the bridge and had a pretty decent fireworks display. I am learning more an more about this city all the time. I had no idea this bridge was so old. 1927, by the description on the sign.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was anyone there last night? I went with my wife and 2 year old son. It was pretty good. I think they were giving away free booze, but the lines were too long for me to find out for sure. They had a countdown and then turned on the beautifully refurbished original lights on the bridge and had a pretty decent fireworks display. I am learning more an more about this city all the time. I had no idea this bridge was so old. 1927, by the description on the sign.

Sounds like it was a special event. I really wanted to go, but had to work late. There's a write-up in today's The State with a sweet photo.

203332825676.jpg

I drove by to see the fireworks. I had no idea the crowds were so large. I didn't think there had been that much publicity, but I'm glad the turnout was high.

I drove by to see the fireworks. I had no idea the crowds were so large. I didn't think there had been that much publicity, but I'm glad the turnout was high.

I wouldn't say it was huge turnout, but definitely healthy. Still enough room to be comfortable and free parking was located nearby across from New Orleans restaurant. I was just glad to get my bored family out of the house. Now we're planning on First Thursdays this week at Riverbanks Garden.

I wouldn't say it was huge turnout, but definitely healthy. Still enough room to be comfortable and free parking was located nearby across from New Orleans restaurant. I was just glad to get my bored family out of the house. Now we're planning on First Thursdays this week at Riverbanks Garden.

I didn't know they were bringing that back at the zoo. My ex and I went to the series 3 years ago and greatly enjoyed it. Make sure you check out the summer concert series at Finlay Park beginning on Memorial Day weekend.

An excellent photograph! I wanted to go but didn't want to brave the traffic. Could hear the fireworks from home, though.

I have a question about the lamps that I'll pose in a new thread.

You Columbians (is that right?) are something else! Traffic? This city is nowhere near as bad as most larger citys. And I moved from Orlando, for one reason I just got tired of sitting in traffic and it was getting worse by the month! It only took me 20 minutes to get there from Irmo. I found a place to park right away only a half block from the site, ploice were directing traffic, and there was no delay in leaving, either. It's tougher getting to Wal-Mart on Harbison on any given day.

Archived