Chandeliers Art Project

dmccall

No. I completely didn't see them as a gay symbol at all for a long long time. I think they are fantastic, and don't think that Larry needs to use this angle to sell them to the community. He'd be better off avoiding the whole point of these being a cultural symbol. That was my point.

oh, I see. I misread the original post.

I don't think the "gay angle/symbol" makes any sense one way or the other. I agree with you that it's a non-issue, and that the street lights look really cool.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright People...It seems that this is getting out of hand. When I made the statement that there seems to be too much color for our buildings and that it seems like a rainbow ...I was not saying that they looked Gay. I was only stating that with the existing buildings on Fayetteville St that all that color may not look right.

Yes. In this case, all parties involved should agree to let rainbow colors be just that - rainbow colors.

Although, I'm curious about whether this will illuminate Fayetteville Street in a bunch of crazy colors at night, or will the overall effect be white?

Yes. In this case, all parties involved should agree to let rainbow colors be just that - rainbow colors.

Although, I'm curious about whether this will illuminate Fayetteville Street in a bunch of crazy colors at night, or will the overall effect be white?

agreed.

I think it will be white on the street, multi-colored as one looks at the panes. I could be wrong.

So it's a race issue? (just kidding). I bet that they just appear as multicolored as opposed to illuminating things with colors. Didn't they have a miniature model at the presentation last month? I hope they'll have it there tomorrow night!

Bravo dmccall for being the first step up and support the chandeliers at the meeting tonight. The first two people, while I respect their opinions, were less than effective in their delivery. It just seemed like they were whining - typical stuff. One lady was actually concerned about the many airplanes and helicopters that fly around downtown -- I must oblivious, b/c I have never seen a plane fly over downtown and only helicopters when there is something the news channels were trying to cover.

man, I was SO NERVOUS. I forgot to even bring up my only concern!!!! ARRRRGHH!!! I was even worse talking to the News14 lady. :sick:

My only concern is placement of these things. The plan is to position them at each street corner. This will look great at the corners, but it will look too clustered when viewing the vista from either the Capitol or the Progress Energy Center (Mem. Aud). I'd rather see them spaced at equidistant intervals from Morgan down to either Cabarrus or Lenoir St.

this is the first post i have ever made, so i hope it goes OK. I think the lights are designed well, and i honestly don't have any concerns about them. I think they will help add life and color to downtown, which is what all these projects are about. I spoke briefly at the meeting tonight, and have no idea what i actually said... i get nervous when i don't have something prepared to say. Anyway, i hope that the whole process does not get hung up by people's 'concerns'. It seems like everything in Raleigh takes forever to actually happen.

^I thought you did very well. And I really liked what you said about people in Raleigh happy with the status quo (in effect). The people I was with agreed, the small town attitude is time to go.

And don't feel bad, I dont' remember what I said either. But I'm pretty sure I said the same amount in the 30 seconds I was up there that the first guy said in all two minutes he took up.

He

was

sooo

slllloowww

Seems like the first two people were against it. Some people were concerned there were too many of them and it would take away from the overall affect of the fixtures. But overall, it seemed like there was a positive tone to the meeting.

The guy creating them, while kinda dorky, was pretty funny :)

Oh, by the way, if any of you are concerned about breakage, don't be. Apparently they can withstand anything except gunfire and catapults (?)

hey thanks justin... i was sitting behind the first speaker and could see the notes he was taking. I pretty much knew I was going to have to get up and say something when I saw all his negative comments. I only wish i had some time to prepare something a little more eloquent. I may email someone on the arts council about my thoughts... the more I think about the lights the more i like em... the whole greek revival look of the columns is a nice nod to the historic building on either end of the street, while the futuristic look and vibrant colors of the glass is a nice contrast to the overall surrounding architecture. I also think the way they are grouped will be kind of cool too, seeing them clustered symmetrically in the distance will kind of draw your eye down the street, without looking like a runway (which it kind of would, if they were just evenly distributed down the length of fay. st.) thanks for backing me up... ; )

hey thanks justin... i was sitting behind the first speaker and could see the notes he was taking. I pretty much knew I was going to have to get up and say something when I saw all his negative comments. I only wish i had some time to prepare something a little more eloquent. I may email someone on the arts council about my thoughts... the more I think about the lights the more i like em... the whole greek revival look of the columns is a nice nod to the historic building on either end of the street, while the futuristic look and vibrant colors of the glass is a nice contrast to the overall surrounding architecture. I also think the way they are grouped will be kind of cool too, seeing them clustered symmetrically in the distance will kind of draw your eye down the street, without looking like a runway (which it kind of would, if they were just evenly distributed down the length of fay. st.) thanks for backing me up... ; )

I'm the SAME WAY. I was probably 3 rows behind you (and I think that I thanked you for saying something positive in the lobby afterward). I wasn't prepared at all and then when there was dead silence after the second person, I felt like something positive needs to be said to convey all the good comments I've heard and read - but I really wasn't prepared and felt like I was giving a speech in 5th grade.

The whole placement issue of the chandeliers may be a moot point, anyway, and I'm really nitpicking with this placement thing. If the project went in as designed, it would be a whopping success. I imagine that the whole streetscape design for Fayetteville St. called for trees here, planters there, benches there, and a decorative light right here - design to TBD at a later date. I imagine that they are too far along in their work on F St. to go change the wiring for the placement of the chandeliers.

However, I am aware of the potential to create a runway effect, so my suggestion is to stagger the placement of them - almost in a zigzag pattern. Then there wouldn't be the perfect symmetry of a runway.

Thanks to those who went to the meeting, and nervous or not, got up in support of the chandeliers. While our opinions vary somewhat on some things, UP can be a significant voice in support of downtown efforts. It is important that the folks making the decisions know of our support and that the folks who like to whine and complain about anything imaginitive the city tries to do get recognized as the minority that they are.

Wow, it looks like UP-Triangle had a strong representation at the meeting! I totally agree with the above comments that this forum can have a strong effect on the decisions and public policy of local government. I am going to make an effort to post info on upcoming public meetings, so UP members can be informed and have an opportunity to get involved. :thumbsup:

As far as the chandeliers, I am just happy we are doing something slightly daring for Raleigh's usual tastes, and I'll be happy if they are placed there at all. I do rather prefer the spacing as is proposed, with one at each corner, as that will provide a signal for crossing peds and motorists that they are crossing "NC's Main Street." I think the visual advantage of equal spacing down Fay St is small compared to the advantage that this intersection placement will provide, inviting people to explore the street and it's shops, bars, etc. To me the main visual attraction of the corridor is simply the view from PE Ctr to the Capitol.

Funny though, those pics make the chandeliers look like synthetic palm trees. :D

Wow, it looks like UP-Triangle had a strong representation at the meeting! I totally agree with the above comments that this forum can have a strong effect on the decisions and public policy of local government. I am going to make an effort to post info on upcoming public meetings, so UP members can be informed and have an opportunity to get involved. :thumbsup:

As far as the chandeliers, I am just happy we are doing something slightly daring for Raleigh's usual tastes, and I'll be happy if they are placed there at all. I do rather prefer the spacing as is proposed, with one at each corner, as that will provide a signal for crossing peds and motorists that they are crossing "NC's Main Street." I think the visual advantage of equal spacing down Fay St is small compared to the advantage that this intersection placement will provide, inviting people to explore the street and it's shops, bars, etc. To me the main visual attraction of the corridor is simply the view from PE Ctr to the Capitol.

Funny though, those pics make the chandeliers look like synthetic palm trees. :D

yeah, I kind of think that the placing of the chandeliers is good... I just didn't want them placed at equal intervals down the length of the street. I think grouping them at the intersections is a fine idea... Raleigh planners seem to like to water everything down until there are no more 'concerns' which basically leaves everything sucking... lets hope they just approvve these things and get them in the ground ASAP before they turn into historic looking lanterns or something.

• 2 weeks later...

there is an article in the independant by bob geary pretty much bashing the chandeliers... he thinks the first speaker that was pleading for fayeteville street to remain simple and functional was right on target. *sigh* pretty depressing if you ask me. i am beginning to think raleigh will never be a progressive, forward thinking city... atleast not until these old dinasaurs die off.

there is an article in the independant by bob geary pretty much bashing the chandeliers... he thinks the first speaker that was pleading for fayeteville street to remain simple and functional was right on target. *sigh* pretty depressing if you ask me. i am beginning to think raleigh will never be a progressive, forward thinking city... atleast not until these old dinasaurs die off.

There are two bits of irony in that that mess with my head. 1) The Independant is a Durham newspaper, 2) Bob Geary is almost startlingly progressive. http://indyweek.com/durham/authors/bobgeary.html

And here's the lamppost article of his, which has some good points, even if it is negative.

http://indyweek.com/durham/2006-01-18/citizen.html

hell, maybe i just have bad taste... but i would much rather see those chandeliers down there, than some old fashioned wrought iron lanterns or something along those lines. it is my fear that in trying to keep everyone happy (which is historically how raleigh operates) we will get some watered down version of what has been designed. and it will take 5 years to get them up.

There are two bits of irony in that that mess with my head. 1) The Independant is a Durham newspaper, 2) Bob Geary is almost startlingly progressive. http://indyweek.com/durham/authors/bobgeary.html

And here's the lamppost article of his, which has some good points, even if it is negative.

http://indyweek.com/durham/2006-01-18/citizen.html

I didn't read a single good point in the article. Fayetteville St. is about being simple? When I look at the skyline, I see a cluster of "simple" buildings, and it is downright unappealling. He obviously wasn't at the meeting if he thinks that these clusters of dichroic glass will look "disco" in the face of the classic Capitol. They will glow, but hardly be neonish.

I, too, hope we don't end up messing around in this for years only to end up with something like everyone else, including North Hills, has.

I didn't read a single good point in the article. Fayetteville St. is about being simple? When I look at the skyline, I see a cluster of "simple" buildings, and it is downright unappealling. He obviously wasn't at the meeting if he thinks that these clusters of dichroic glass will look "disco" in the face of the classic Capitol. They will glow, but hardly be neonish.

I, too, hope we don't end up messing around in this for years only to end up with something like everyone else, including North Hills, has.

The lights themselves are fine. His main critique is the columns for them. To put it simply, the columns look fake, cheesy, and don't supplement the design of the lights. They were even designed by another group in another part of the country. I'd be fine with the lights, if they had modern-looking pedestals. Greek and Modern architecture combined looks goofy though.

Archived