Chandeliers Art Project

dmccall

These chandeliers look like supersized versions of lamps from Target that one might buy for a dorm room.

They will become the object of ridicule if constructed in the current form.

I am constantly frustrated by the foot dragging and delays that occur with a lot of downtown projects, but I think the right decision was made this time.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me guess ! Did Jesse Talifero say she did not have enough information and then she barked out several orders of what her requirements are? Just wondering ?

She loves to do that and push things back when she does not have any idea or does not want to make a decision, or scared to make the decsion. It is always everyone elses fault....

Of course, I could be accusing the wrong person, so sorry Jesse if it was not you pulling "canned Reaction #1" out of your hat

If I were on the council I would reject these things. They are terrible looking. Why don't we just go with something classic and historic like the city (ie. gas lanterns)

I agree! The more I see of these things the more I feel that they would be way cool for Cameron Village. The colors in the torches would match the colorful buildings. I think that people expect these type of lights in maybe Vegas or something but not in a 200+ year old southern city of oaks. Well maybe Orlando FL. :)

There is already plenty of "classical and historic" on Fayetteville St. If they want a draw to the new street, these things need to be part of the plan. They will add vibrancy, and attract people from several blocks east or west of Fayetteville St. Gas lanterns will look about as boring as the skyline does now. What is that going to do for the city's image? I'll tell you what it will do. It will make people say "Oh, how cute these little lanterns are. They're so nice and quaint like Raleigh." Translation: boring, predictable, and uninspiring.

There is already plenty of "classical and historic" on Fayetteville St. If they want a draw to the new street, these things need to be part of the plan. They will add vibrancy, and attract people from several blocks east or west of Fayetteville St. Gas lanterns will look about as boring as the skyline does now. What is that going to do for the city's image? I'll tell you what it will do. It will make people say "Oh, how cute these little lanterns are. They're so nice and quaint like Raleigh." Translation: boring, predictable, and uninspiring.

vs. these are totally out of place?

While some of us like them, some of us don't, I think my real point is that it is really frustrating that the City Council was asking such basic questions this far into the process. Several members were totally unprepared for this vote. It is good to play it safe, but there really isn't much more that we need to know about these fixtures, short of building a full scale prototype and mounting on the street. I really don't see how another rendering will "shed more light" on the issue.

We all here think differently on a lot of topics, and that's fine, but I'll tell you one thing: if the city council consisted only of us UP posters, we'd get in there, scrap it out, get things done, and go celebrate a great city, by golly!!! :w00t:

While some of us like them, some of us don't, I think my real point is that it is really frustrating that the City Council was asking such basic questions this far into the process. Several members were totally unprepared for this vote. It is good to play it safe, but there really isn't much more that we need to know about these fixtures, short of building a full scale prototype and mounting on the street. I really don't see how another rendering will "shed more light" on the issue.

We all here think differently on a lot of topics, and that's fine, but I'll tell you one thing: if the city council consisted only of us UP posters, we'd get in there, scrap it out, get things done, and go celebrate a great city, by golly!!! :w00t:

Here! Here!

:D

If I were on the council I would reject these things. They are terrible looking. Why don't we just go with something classic and historic like the city (ie. gas lanterns)

I think gas laterns would look nice...in City Market. We are trying to bring life to the street - and these will add to the vibrancy and energy. I think a misconception is most people think these things are going to look like stained glass - that is not the case. They are different colored from every angle. The people who want the "classic" elements can have those with the streetlights. These are not streetlights folks, they are simply pieces of art. Gas laterners would not be art, it would be just that, a gas latern, like you see everywhere, in downtowns and in suburbia.

You've got to be kidding me -- there is NO NEED for something like this to drag on for months and months. This really makes me angry, and is precisely why I want to be on the city council one day. Businesses don't take this long to decide on things that faarrr more important than a few sculptures along a street. Give me a break.

you should run in the next election... really. let me know if you need help raising money or something.

I don't want to see "classic" or boring art replace these lights... but I want to see something that doesn't look like it belongs in a children's theme park.

Let's reflect the Triangle's image as a high tech region with some sleek, futuristic designs, for example.

Something i've came to understand about the Triangle is, regardless of how fayettville street turns out. There will still be people criticising the project. Just for the heck of it. That very same attitude is always making projects scale down and become utterly boring. This city will never even be Nashville or Charlotte, if we continue on this redundant path. Loosen up Cary. Ooops. I mean Raleigh.

How many of you have seen these lights in person? or as a mock up?

Seeing the artists rendering in the newspaper (or else where) is just that, someones interpretation of what it will look like. How many times have you seen a project sketch only to see the final project look much different?

These lights are getting paid for with private money. Lets put them up.

Wouldn't it be great if someone on the Council or the Mayor would adopt a "Great City" attitude and get stuff like this DONE? I have an EXTREMELY hard time imagining all of this hand wringing occuring in Atlanta, Charlotte, or Nashville. THIS is how things in Raleigh have always gone. THIS is why developers have always been cool on doing neat things here. It all makes the easy passage of the GlenTree/Soleil center that much more suspicious.

Oh, everyone's dignity has a price. Soleil figured out the price for Raleigh's council. Someone else with lots and lots of terribly outrageous amounts of cash will come along and do the same thing eventually. Hopefully by then more of our politicians will put idealism before, well, politics.

What do you mean. I don't understand. From the conceptual drawings, I can imagine very easliy how nice they would look. It will help differentiate Raleigh from Cary, because alot of out of towners end up in the wrong city,from the similarities.

This was almost funny one time, but now it's way overused. Inner-beltline Raleigh looks nothing like Cary, and it won't have to worry about ever resembling it in any way.

Archived