Chandeliers Art Project

dmccall

This was almost funny one time, but now it's way overused. Inner-beltline Raleigh looks nothing like Cary, and it won't have to worry about ever resembling it in any way.

I'm going to have to agree with this comment completely. ITB Raleigh really is nothing like Cary - now Brier Creek, Wakefield, TTC, etc...I can see how that can be compared to Cary, and probably rightly so.

But I am open to the idea of ITB being Cary-esque, I'll just need some examples.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to have to agree with this comment completely. ITB Raleigh really is nothing like Cary - now Brier Creek, Wakefield, TTC, etc...I can see how that can be compared to Cary, and probably rightly so.

But I am open to the idea of ITB being Cary-esque, I'll just need some examples.

Maybe this needs a separate thread, but how did Brier Creek become one of the three city focus areas? (or regional centers...whatever they are called). It is a typical suburban landscape with basic apartments, golf course with multi-million dollar homes, and strip shopping centers at the mouth of the development. It has no real mass (such as a mall), certainly no real urban form, only recently became connected to the CAT bus network, etc. etc. Granted it is all upper scale versions of the typical.....can anyone every actually see skyscrapers out there like the plan calls for? Where would they go without NIMBYs howling? Thats been on my mind every since I saw the comprehensive plan map with the desigination.

Back to topic: I can understand the frustration with the Council. However, I think the proposed street lights look awful. What's the point of sticking to an appropriate architectural context (i.e., the Capitol and the Memorial Auditorium) for the bases and then going off in left field for the lights themselves? The lights don't go with anything on Fayeteville St., at all. The purpose of this project in the first place is to restore the street to how it used to be, and those lights don't hearken to that at all. Frankly, they don't hearken to anything in Raleigh, at all, except the Time and Light tower. I am not trying to bash anyone who likes them at all, that is just one man's opinion.

I think that it is entirely within the realm of possibility to design some contemporary, sweet looking lights without having the tops look like a bunch of pieces of cut-out, colored cellphone panels positioned over an incandescent lightbulb.

I don't think the project was meant to bring the street back to the way it was. It was meant to bring back life to the street. There's no way they could make Fayetteville St. the way it was because so much has changed. I don't love the bases of the lights, but I do like the glass. I hope they are installed, but for some reason I get the feeling that they will get 86'ed.

Back to topic: I can understand the frustration with the Council. However, I think the proposed street lights look awful. What's the point of sticking to an appropriate architectural context (i.e., the Capitol and the Memorial Auditorium) for the bases and then going off in left field for the lights themselves? The lights don't go with anything on Fayeteville St., at all. The purpose of this project in the first place is to restore the street to how it used to be, and those lights don't hearken to that at all. Frankly, they don't hearken to anything in Raleigh, at all, except the Time and Light tower. I am not trying to bash anyone who likes them at all, that is just one man's opinion.

I think that it is entirely within the realm of possibility to design some contemporary, sweet looking lights without having the tops look like a bunch of pieces of cut-out, colored cellphone panels positioned over an incandescent lightbulb.

I don't really think the purpose was to "restore the street" - they have already not done that with the parking patterns (parallel vs. diagonal parking). Not to mention that Fayetteville Street was pretty much a thoroughfare back in the day, it will no longer be. I think its intent is to be a destination, not a passthrough.

And once again, these are not "Streetlights", in fact they will produce very little light at all, just enough for the top to glow and for colors to splash on the sidewalk. There are other "Streetlights" in the very classic sense of the word being installed as we speak. You can even go down there and see one in front of Progress One. These pieces of art are only going at intersections to alert people to the fact they are at a vibrant, special place at the heart of downtown.

I don't really think the purpose was to "restore the street" - they have already not done that with the parking patterns (parallel vs. diagonal parking). Not to mention that Fayetteville Street was pretty much a thoroughfare back in the day, it will no longer be. I think its intent is to be a destination, not a passthrough.

And once again, these are not "Streetlights", in fact they will produce very little light at all, just enough for the top to glow and for colors to splash on the sidewalk. There are other "Streetlights" in the very classic sense of the word being installed as we speak. You can even go down there and see one in front of Progress One. These pieces of art are only going at intersections to alert people to the fact they are at a vibrant, special place at the heart of downtown.

Thank you. You saved me time from typing that exact same thing.

One thing to remember is that Brier Creek area, where the Wall Mart is, was sold to the CC several years ago as a "second downtown" and people signed off on it. It was supposed to be this new urban fill that would mimick a DT feel. Then all changed and look at it now. It looks like Cary.

One thing to remember is that Brier Creek area, where the Wall Mart is, was sold to the CC several years ago as a "second downtown" and people signed off on it. It was supposed to be this new urban fill that would mimick a DT feel. Then all changed and look at it now. It looks like Cary.

Good point. The Wal-Mart on "Rock&Roll Blvd" (New Hope Church Rd) at "Paddington Station" was sold to the planning commission and city council as mixed use, dense hub for a future rail stop >10 years ago.

All developers have to do is use the right lingo. "Transit stop", "Urban Focus Zone", "Mixed Use", and "New Urbanism" are being so abused that now we've lost their original meaning. Everything from here out will "be a lot like North Hills" to satisfy the City and get permission to build. :sick:

Good point. The Wal-Mart on "Rock&Roll Blvd" (New Hope Church Rd) at "Paddington Station" was sold to the planning commission and city council as mixed use, dense hub for a future rail stop >10 years ago.

All developers have to do is use the right lingo. "Transit stop", "Urban Focus Zone", "Mixed Use", and "New Urbanism" are being so abused that now we've lost their original meaning. Everything from here out will "be a lot like North Hills" to satisfy the City and get permission to build. :sick:

Is there not an acutal review of construction plans? We keep having conceptual planning documents approved only to have the blueprints be completely different. Maybe all the city does is send out construction inspectors to check for building code voilations..dunno. At the state level nothing gets built without actual blueprints getting approved...maybe the city needs to do this if they are not....they appear to be for the CC hotel.....something is missing here for sure....

• 2 weeks later...

Oy vey. Like the article hints at, I think the naysayers are just louder than the supporters. Personally, just going by the renderings I can't say I absolutely love the chandeliers. But I'm all for something different that makes some kind of statement... gives Raleigh some personality. (Just like the last guy quoted in the article right? Sheeesh... glad he's not the mayor.) Also, especially in this case, it's impossible to reproduce how they will "come alive" with the interaction of light in the real world.

Oy vey...funny. I don't think the chandeliers will be that bad. They look somewhat silly given the colors dipicted in the renderings. I think that is why you hear comments like, this belongs in Vegas. I've seen photographs of this kind of glass used elsewhere and it does not look quite so vibrant. The glass looks more reflective in nature which refracts light as color. The color is much more subtle than in the renderings. Take a look at some other examples of this glass and you will see it is not so bad. I wonder if the naysayers have seen any pieces of the actual glass or if they are drawing their conclusions based on the renderings.

I can't say I absolutely love the chandeliers. But I'm all for something different that makes some kind of statement... gives Raleigh some personality.

My sentiments exactly. I feel like at least it's gutsy. Any art project is going to have it's detractors. This one is no different. I like that it has traditional elements (pillars) and futuristic elements (triangular glass). I do like that the triangular glass hints at the region and it's "high-tech" nature.

I like how the N&O goes and digs up people to trash everything. One of the critics they dredge up is a 90 year old woman from Smithfield.

No offense, but who cares what anyone in Smithfield thinks of anything related to Raleigh. The only opinions that should be shared is by those who call Raleigh home. Don't mean to be inflammatory either, I just don't understand what it matters to hear from someone who doesn't even live here and then slap an article about it on the front page of Raleigh's local paper.

No offense, but who cares what anyone in Smithfield thinks of anything related to Raleigh. The only opinions that should be shared is by those who call Raleigh home. Don't mean to be inflammatory either, I just don't understand what it matters to hear from someone who doesn't even live here and then slap an article about it on the front page of Raleigh's local paper.

I thought the same thing..... An elderly woman complaining about these things :rofl:

Ha Ha !!! I just caught the "Rock & Roll Blvd" comment !!!!! I actually got a letter to the editor published in the N&O about renaming it Rock N Roll Blvd way back then. Must have been late 1980's or very early 1990s. I now live near there and still think about if they had made the name change.

My thoughts EXACTLY. I mean really, I don't go spouting off about the latest factory outlet design or Wal-Mart shopping cart corral in Smithfield. Give me a break - this is being paid for with PRIVATE MONEY - and I think they add excitement. And like someone else said, it isn't nearly as vibrant in person. I think they'll pass, maybe not all 16, but I think they'll pass.

My thoughts EXACTLY. I mean really, I don't go spouting off about the latest factory outlet design or Wal-Mart shopping cart corral in Smithfield.

Very funny and oh so true :)

I do think they will get approved too. Where is the other sculptor looking to put his work? The two may complement each other well.

Archived