Chandeliers Art Project

dmccall

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If/when it does get approved, get ready to hear all the Aunt Bee's b%^$* about it. They are the ones who let downtown falter, anyway! I imagine myself wanting to have this conversation:

"When is the last time you spent more than $50 downtown - OUTSIDE of the City Club and Memorial Auditorium?" "Then shut up!"

god, we think alike... this has been my gripe all along, that the same people who abandoned downtown are being allowed to dictate what happens there now... it is ridiculous. and the few who DO come downtown (case in point, my parents, who reside in wake forest) do so to dine at capital city club bfore a show at memorial... I don't think that really counts. sorry. I don't think the chandeliers were campy or glitzy or whatever adjective along those lines you choose... when I saw the dichroic glass in person, it is not nearly so bright as shown in the renderings. this whole thing is SOSOSOSOSO frustrating to me. and embarassing.

I can honestly say Raleigh has more fear about art than any place I have worked in 40 years. It is a sad testament to the city when people become frightened of a little color and light!

:(

Raleigh is an embarrassment to me right now. I grew up here and live here, and i never thought I'd say that, but...

We can't seem to plan our land use, formulate a transit plan, or even do free art!

So funny, so true. Maybe if Smithfield gets lucky and somebody decides to build a new Bojangles there, we should all go down and critique the site plans as not being "old-timey enough."

Latest Smithfield urbanism update:

USDA Loan to Chain Movie Theater Threatens Locally Owned Business

Apparently, I was wrong. They hate old-timey stuff in Smithfield, too, like 80-year old local movie theaters that give a town character.

Let's have a slogan contest for Smithfield. I'll get the ball rolling.

"Smithfield- rejecting our own history and the innovation of Raleigh to subsidize suburban crap that we couldn't get to locate here otherwise."

Latest Smithfield urbanism update:

USDA Loan to Chain Movie Theater Threatens Locally Owned Business

Apparently, I was wrong. They hate old-timey stuff in Smithfield, too, like 80-year old local movie theaters that give a town character.

Let's have a slogan contest for Smithfield. I'll get the ball rolling.

"Smithfield- rejecting our own history and the innovation of Raleigh to subsidize suburban crap that we couldn't get to locate here otherwise."

Contest entry:

Entry 1 Suburban schlock...for me and for you.

Entry 2 Mediocrity: Not just for the big boys anymore.

• 9 months later...

So now a bunch of people want the fixtures on the Boylan Ave. bridge. Here's the N&O article.

I can't believe how misunderstood these fixtures are. I assumed Andrew Leager had bat brains, now I'm starting to wonder. He thinks they will whip around like antennae? That they would be needed if the bridge had a lighting problem? Pay attention, Andrew! THESE FIXTURES [b]GLOW, NOT SHINE. :angry:

I don't understand people who sit around pondering why something WON'T work... I truly don't. All they do is kill dreams and great ideas. I know we all have a right to share our opinion blah blah blah, but I for one wish people like that would just keep their friggin mouths shut for once...

I don't understand people who sit around pondering why something WON'T work... I truly don't. All they do is kill dreams and great ideas. I know we all have a right to share our opinion blah blah blah, but I for one wish people like that would just keep their friggin mouths shut for once...

If not the Boylan Bridge, what about other city gateways? The Hillsborough Street bridge near Glenwood would tie Glenwood South to the rest of downtown and highlight the entryway. They could also go on McDowell near the new Convention Center, maybe just south of South street, and/or on Dawson south of the Capitol Blvd split. There would not be any more offensive than existing lighting in those areas.

I don't know how likely getting someone to pay for their construction and installation. Also, the Smithfield illuminati will tell Raleigh what it should do, and Raleigh might be dumb enough to listen once again.

^Yeah, I'm open to the Boylan Bridge as a place, but you have good suggestions for others too.

Hillsborough Street would be great. Heck, even along New Bern heading into downtown would be good too...that side of town unfortunately rarely gets anything artistic in it.

Unfortunatly, New Bern stops heading into town at Poole Road. New Bern is outbound only from there to Person Street. Edenton is one way inbound from the Poole intersection. Eastside inbound travelers enter downtown with little to no fanfare.

There is a "welcome to Raleigh" sign at the Poole intersection, but the chandeliers wouldn't be appropriate there. They could go at Edenton/Person, in the parking lots of Biscut Station and Oakwood Cafe, or maybe one there and one at Person/New Bern near the Federal courthouse.

I seriously doubt they could go on Hillsborough or Morgan St bridges... I walk across those every day and there simply isnt' much space... the sidewalk is only 5 ft on either side, so unless they were engineered to cantilever off the edge of the bridge (DOT would have to approve) somehow, they would block the sidewalks. Hillsborough St already has it's own "gateway" with the street-lined oaks on either side anyway beginning at the RR tracks all the way inbound. I still think Fayetteville St was always the best place... :rolleyes:

If only there was a, umm... city.. square.. in downtown that was looking for public art pieces... hmm...

If that doesn't work, then back to the streets. For Hillsborough, I was thinking about the pedestrain unfriendly "point" where westbound Hillsborough and Edenton merge. The treescape is a good daytime gateway, but go mostly unnoticed at night. The same for the Dawson/McDowell mergers north and south of downtown. The east one could go in the New Bern post office parking lot, to define the "four entry" points of downtown.

One thing I thought about, really just out of the blue, was the idea for lit walkways like at the Epcot center, on the park squares downtown.

Install a couple water fountains, and put in arrays of diode lights that outline the sidewalks. It would look a lot cooler than dime-a-dozen lamp fixtures, and (unlike those) it would actually contribute to lighting, as these parks are too dark at night.

I would also suggest something that a couple cities do (which is extremely effective) during certain holidays. If you've ever spent a considerable amount of time in Denver, the Zoo (which is already really good) puts on a light show on Christmas. Tons of bizarre Christmas light sculptures are set up all over the park, and they make a killing off of tickets for it. Something similar in our parks would be a hit.

Why not Hillsborough Street? These might be welcome there. If we don't get roundabouts or major long term traffic improvements, please, for God's sake improve the streetscape in the near term. Bury the power lines, put up nice lamp posts, traffic signals with mast arms, new sidewalks, and landscaping.

Or maybe the warehouse district? They could go in there to help identify the district as an arts and entertainment district and would be a nice compliment to the CAM.

Archived