economic inpact on Shreveport-Bossier from I-49 and I-69

Okay, so we all know that Shreveport-Bossier is growing at its fastest pace in decades, but this story offers a little more information about the possible economic effects of completing I-49 and getting the ball rolling on I-69.

The story

One of the other benefits I hadn't even considered with I-69 is, it would provide a direct link between the Stonewall/north DeSoto Parish area, where quite a bit of Shreveport's suburban growth is occurring, to the Haughton/east Bossier Parish area, where an equal amount of Bossier City's suburban growth is occurring (effectively creating a southern bypass for me when I want to head south and avoid the city.)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for posting the article, Brian!

The growth for the Shreveport area could be tremendous with the completion of either one of the interstates, but especially the completion of both. The economic impact would also be huge for the entire state, and the port system of the state would also be greatly boosted. This is why I really hope everything is able to go through with I-69 through Louisiana.

Hey Brian, just to get a local's point of view, what do you see in store for the I-69 through Louisiana plan in the near future?

The Shreveport/Bossier City area is indeed growing at an incredible pace.

I wonder how many cities in the US have 3 interstates that intersect in/and around it and have a navigable waterway as well?

If the rumored expansion of the port happens then this area is primed to explode in growth.

Imagine I20, I49, I69 and a river coupled with a steel factory that uses 1000 acres and pumps 2 Billion into the local economy.

Keep up the good work Shreveport!

Mudbugger

I'm really happy to hear about all of the growth in the Shreveport area. I live 300+ miles away, but it's great to see growth occuring in many different areas in Louisiana. Hopefully the growth occuring all over the state will continue, allowing the state to become more of what it couldve been 20 years ago. :D

Also, does anyone have, or know where I can find some recent growth population estimates for metro Shreveport? I've been looking all over the internet, but I haven't been able to find anything other than the 2000 census numbers.

Also, does anyone have, or know where I can find some recent growth population estimates for metro Shreveport? I've been looking all over the internet, but I haven't been able to find anything other than the 2000 census numbers.

I actually think I've recently seen some 2003 estimated numbers, but I'm not certain where. If I can find them again, I'll send them your way.

I will say this, in the entire metro, Shreveport may show to have actually lost population, while Bossier City should show as having gained considerably. Most of the fligth from Shreveport is into Bossier, and then on top of that, most new transplants to the area typically end up in Bossier... so Bossier should be well over 60,000 by now and likely pushing 70,000 would be my guess. I'm sure Bossier Parish has surpassed 100,000 now.

As much as I hate to say it... one of these days Bossier may be the big city in the market and Shreveport the little sister.

Okay I was wrong about Bossier... at least as far as 2003 is concerned. By now it could very well be over 60,000 people... but in 2003 it was at 58,111, up from 56,461 in 2000. A modest gain, but a gain nonetheless. That is a 2.9% gain over 3 years. Factor in Katrina, and Bossier should be closer to 65,000 in my opinion.

Shreveport, on the other hand, I was pretty-much correct about... in 2003 it is estimated to have been down ro 198,364 from 200,145 in 2000. That's a LOSS of .9% in the city of Shreveport alone. That means that 2.0% of the Bossier population gain was new population growth. I have no good guess on the number of New Orleans-area transplants to Shreveport itself.

edit:

An addendum:

Of the 12 largest cities in Louisiana, the only 3 to actually post estimated gains between 2000 and 2003 were:

Bossier City - 2.9%

Lafayette - 0.2%

Slidell - 4.6%

All other major cities in the state actually lost population.

They sure are! :w00t:

I believe the Lafayette CSA is actually larger than the Shreveport-Bossier CSA. I have those stats in my signature.

The last estimate I saw for the Shreveport-Bossier CSA was about 425,000, while the last estimate I saw for the Lafayette CSA was around 450,000. Though like you said, the MSA population's are nearly identical.

I am really suprised to see that both Shreveport and Lafayette have the same CSA or MSA population. I would have thought Shreveport was larger ?

Is MSA metro ? What is CSA ? These seem to cover really large areas , larger than I remembered before when the term "metro" area was used. I guess Lafayette must include Opelousas, Eunice, Crowley, Abbeville, New Iberia and Breaux Bridge .

I am really suprised to see that both Shreveport and Lafayette have the same CSA or MSA population. I would have thought Shreveport was larger ?

Is MSA metro ? What is CSA ? These seem to cover really large areas , larger than I remembered before when the term "metro" area was used. I guess Lafayette must include Opelousas, Eunice, Crowley, Abbeville, New Iberia and Breaux Bridge .

CSA stands for Combined Statistical Area. I am not extremely familiar with the different terms used for metro area population's, but I know that CSA is a hybrid of what used to be called the CMSA.(Consolidated Metropolitan Statistical Area) From what I know, if specific criteria are met, nearby micropolitan areas around the MSA are included in a new metro population, which becomes the CSA. The MSA is more of what is just considered the "metro" as it really just includes the nearby counties. It seems like for the most part, CSA populations are normally more accurate and realistic for large cities than MSA's. The population's between the two different classifications can vary greatly as well. Take Charlotte,NC for example, which has about 1.4 million in its MSA population, but has over 2 million in its CSA population, and if you ask people from Charlotte, most will tell you that the CSA population is much more realistic as it includes all of the smaller cities and micropolitan areas around the city, and not simply nearby counties.

It can be somewhat confusing, and I know all of my info isn't top notch, but I hope that ansered a little bit of your question. :)

It was............................................. :cry::cry:

Actually, the city of Shreveport is still over 85,000 people larger than Lafayette, and IF Bossier City were factored in (since they basically run together as one city,) it would be about 150,000 larger. But then you add in the surrounding suburbs, and suddenly Lafayette's recent growth spurt shoots it past Shreveport. I honestly don't even know how it happened. It seemed like I went to bed one night and metro Shreveport was well ahead of Lafayette, and then when I awoke, it was the opposite. It really seems to have happened that fast. Got to hand it to Lafayette... as much as I hate to admit it... they are doing something seriously right to have a metro population (or even a CSA population) larger than the state's third-largest city... and might I add, at one time, the second-largest city as well as the capital of the state during the Civil War. The current downtown courthouse, the Caddo Parish Courthouse, was the State Capitol building during this time.

edit:

By the way... I think NCB just points out the fact that the Lafayette metro has surpassed Shreveport metro so he can make me squirm! ;) Keeps me on my toes, he does. Mayor of this city I shall one day be. And no, Yoda my name is not.

Archived