Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GrSportsGuy

Patterson & 33rd St.

9 posts in this topic

I drive along Patterson in GR almost every day and often wonder who owns the huge plot of land from just south of The Home Depot to just south of 33rd. And why hasn't it been developed?

Looks like good farming land, nice little barn, get me a few cows and some chickens and grow garlic

I think they torn down the barn a while ago but the silo is still there, I don't know if they farm on it still but i've seen a really old man at the house, I assume he's probably lived there for for like 70 years and knows he's sitting on millions but is just content living like like he is. Also there is a smaller similar property on the west side of east paris south of cascade. they recently built cook valley on part of the field but I assume someone is holding on to the rest for later development.

It's privately owned by an individual, and zoned R1-C, single-family residential. You could probably call the City of Kentwood and see what their master plan shows what they would like to see there. I think I read a year or two ago an article discussing that property and the hopes to save part of the Western portion as parkland. :dontknow:

that's a good question. I'd be interested in the answer too.

The land has been owned by the Patterson family forever. The house south of home depot has a breakfast area in the kitchen where you can look out the north windows and see 28th Street in all its glory, or look south and see a beautiful pastoral scene. It is a really wierd experience.

There have been offers to buy the land through the years, but the 3 siblings who own it have been unwilling to accept any offer to date. There are properties that are extremely difficult to buy because of varied ownership interests and this historically has been one of those. Sometimes is really isn't just about money.

It is one of the 2 largest undeveloped properties in Kentwood (the other is owned by Calvin College). The field continues to be periodically mowed to prevent the emerging wetlands from spreading.

The opportunity for development actually goes all the way to 36th Street.

My daughter's boy friend's uncle works for a guy in Atlanta who said he heard from his barber that Interscope Records was buying the land for a billion dollar development that will produce 10,000 jobs, but I can't say for sure if that's true or not. :rofl:

you can look out the north windows and see 28th Street in all its glory

I would call 28th street a lot of things, but "glorious" certainly isn't one of them! :rofl:

Kentwood's Master Plan has a Subarea Plan for the Patterson Farm.

Link.

http://www.ci.kentwood.mi.us/planning/Mast...%20Analysis.pdf

Kentwood has conceptually planned that property all most as many times as I have. Mine always try to maximize the potential while Kentwood's always show about half the property as open space. When it finally develops I'll bet there won't be a category called "recreation" unless the city finds enough money to buy the property.

The property is actually well suited to be a corporate or educational campus, but those are few and far between. I suspect it will one-day be a fairly intense mixed-use development.