Spirit of Solidarity Monument/Fountain

grrwymg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Spirit of Solidarity monument honoring the labor movement, particularly those who participated in an early 20th century furniture strike.

I'm surprised Gerry Ford isnt spinning in his grav... I mean golf cart right now

You know whats going to be interesting? All the national attention this city is going to get once Gerry does kick the bucket (really any day now) Hopefully there are some cranes still in the skyline while they get panoramas of the city during the national broadcast...

oh god that areas going to be a nightmare if Riverhouse is still going up at that time :shok:

Speaking of this, is it just me, or does it seem like its taking a really long time to build that thing? Maybe I'm too impatient. :blush:

I walked past there in early May and read the sign that said it was a monument to union labor, and that it would be finished in early spring 2006.

:rofl::rofl:

Suuuuuure it will.

• 2 weeks later...

I walked past there in early May and read the sign that said it was a monument to union labor, and that it would be finished in early spring 2006.

:rofl::rofl:

Suuuuuure it will.

Veloise,

You are correct. The north side of the building with the wrought iron fence will be the burial site for Gerald and Betty Ford.

Joe

Morbid humor alert!

So do we need to start a pool on what gets set into the ground first?

:whistling:

Oh yeah, there was an update at the bottom of THIS article.

"The project, more than six years in the making, is nearly complete except for the central statues representing striking furniture workers and their wives. The final cost is expected to be $1.3 million."

$1.3 million dollars! How wonder how much the laborers were striking for.

There's an interesting area in the GR Museum across the street about the strike.

Oh yeah, there was an update at the bottom of THIS article.

Even from Canepa's quote in that article the slogan idea of "Something Special" would be so much better than "Keep it a Secret". I know this belongs in the appropriate thread, but do you think Heartwell is really a convert to Keep it a Secret?

• 1 month later...

Should we start a poll to see when this project might be completed?

Here are pictures from Saturday afternoon:

Project sign - says it will be completed in Spring 2006

post-6831-1153099351_thumb.jpg

Looks like the Landscaping is completed. Isn't that one of the last items?

post-6831-1153099472_thumb.jpg

Looks like the paving bricks are being laid down.

post-6831-1153099410_thumb.jpg

post-6831-1153099351_thumb.jpg

post-6831-1153099410_thumb.jpg

post-6831-1153099472_thumb.jpg

Archived