Spirit of Solidarity Monument/Fountain

grrwymg

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

I think that I was the first pedestrian to walk around the fountain area once the fences were down :) . Looks really nice, and I think the fountain adds vibrancy to the park. Before they took the sign away, it still said completion in Spring 2006...

• 4 months later...

I think the model is less detailed than the actual sculpture. It is supposed to show men, women and immigrants banding together to fight the oppressive working conditions that led to the furniture strike in the early 1900's. Back-to-back, united they stand. I think the actual sculpture will tell the story better.

I guess I just don't have an eye for art, because I just don't get it. It looks like they are doing the "hokey pokey".

I think the model is less detailed than the actual sculpture. It is supposed to show men, women and immigrants banding together to fight the oppressive working conditions that led to the furniture strike in the early 1900's. Back-to-back, united they stand. I think the actual sculpture will tell the story better.

I met Roberto Chenlo, the artist that designed the statue a couple of years ago. I also did some illustration work for him as well. He is a very kind and warm hearted individual and one hell of a worker. Back when I met him is "Mantles and More" business was located on Richmond a few block east of Alpine Ave. However one day I found the building he was in abandoned. I thought his business had went south or something tragic had happened to himself or family that may have forced him to shut down. However, after finding his website...

http://www.chenloart.com/

... I'm glad he's still kicking.

He really does incredible work. So I hope he makes it big time.

I gotta say, I really don't like the statues. I want to be charitable, but good grief - they're almost cartoony. And the poses of the figures seem somehow unnatural. I don't know if that's what the sculptor was going for, but I think it looks kinda goofy...

465301374_cd219e5502_b.jpg

The sign is kind of hard to read, but it says "on strike":

465296932_7178f30127_b.jpg

465301649_8045bae273_b.jpg

465295904_30a6efa98a_b.jpg

In other news, the first occurrence of fountain-related hijinx and tomfoolery was spotted today:

465295008_e3c22d4c6c_b.jpg

Archived