Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grrwymg

Spirit of Solidarity Monument/Fountain

I think people will be disappointed with the work, because of the other character bronze sculptures around. With anticipation most people were probably expecting a typical Vandenburg type sculpture.

The folks in the previous pictures look disappointed and not engaged with the artwork. That might just be a picture in time and not representative of the overall mood.

The scripture on the wall speaks with that last picture.

Oh man! This is horrible. I was hoping for something nice but dreading that it would come out looking stiff and lifeless. They definitely delivered. It looks like three mannequins. What a mess!

465191759_e357addd4e.jpg

umm.... I kinda like step action of the fountain part...

I love how in the orginal model there was no "on strike" sign... Almost like some people said, "I don't get it" so the artist goes back to the drawing board and says, "I KNOW, I'll add a sign that says ON STRIKE!"

Brilliant...

It makes you long for the days when sculptors could accurately represent the human form in three dimensions.

This looks really bad.

They should have had one of the strikers being beaten by a billy-club brandishing police officer. That would have really captured the furniture strike.

I don't know about any of you, but I'm just waiting for this sculpture to be profiled on WoodTV because of vandalism... some folks really dislike organized comradery that the old union represents.

Wow such negative reactions! I too have some reservations on the statues as I know the artist can do far better than this. However there could have been tension between him and those who commissioned him. As an artist myself, I know first hand that dealing with difficult clients can easily suck the creative juices bone dry resulting in lack luster work. To me these statues scream this scenario.

I just hope the reactions from the charity heads and the general public are more positive than here on UP. The artist is very warm kind hearted individual. I'd hate to see his career hampered or ended because of theses three statues.

I looked at the artists website and it is obvious he does fantastic work in stone. I don't know what happened here but it looks like it lacks detail, just like the model. I figured that the model lacked detail due to size, but it looks pretty much the same.

I don't know exactly what happened but I was really hoping for something better.

Joe

Wow such negative reactions! I too have some reservations on the statues as I know the artist can do far better than this. However there could have been tension between him and those who commissioned him. As an artist myself, I know first hand that dealing with difficult clients can easily suck the creative juices bone dry resulting in lack luster work. To me these statues scream this scenario.

I just hope the reactions from the charity heads and the general public are more positive than here on UP. The artist is very warm kind hearted individual. I'd hate to see his career hampered or ended because of theses three statues.