Raleigh-Charlotte expressway considered for Chatham County

CapeFearRiver10

I like that quote too.

Charlotte is not an urban city. It's just a conglomeration of skyscrapers surrounded by parking lots, sprawl, empty space, sprawl, and some more sprawl. I think it's rather depressing.

I'm all for an impressive skyline, but street-level atmosphere is what's important.

Dare I respond? Yeah, I think I will.

Charlotte is changing daily, becoming more urban. Surface lots are disappearing at a hefty rate (land is too valuable). And I fail to figure out where the "empty space" between sprawl and more sprawl actually is. If anything, I see too little empty space for my taste in this town. More parks would be a welcome addition.

As for a Raleigh to Charlotte freeway, I think its kind of silly. We have 85/40 already. US-74 should be upgraded to freeway status before NC-49.

Whether or not peak oil and its consequences comes to pass is a mute point, we will still need roadways. Right or wrong, Americans view driving a car as a God-given right. That car currently runs on fossil fuels, but will one day soon be forced to find alternative sources of energy. Of course, as I type this a Google item just popped up in the news window. Oil has surged to $71.35 per barrel. Anybody for a train ride?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The article is talking about the full distance from Cary to Charlotte. They have been doing a special study to improve the whole corridor. It is intended to be redundant, corridor to 40 and 85. I have often taken 49 and 64 between Charlotte and Raleigh. Some improvements will help alleviate the 40 and 85 corridors, which are at high risk of congestion.

• 1 month later...

Recently, a lot of accidents have been occuring along I-40/85 in Alamance County. Despite having the truck restriction and a lot of law enforcement keeping an eye on motorists, there is no way capacity can be increased anymore through eastern Guilford/Alamance/western Durham counties.

Beautiful countryside out that way, especially when you get near the Uwharrie Mtns (hills) on NC 49. I hope a widening/expansion doesn't ruin the feel of the area.

SW Randolph County is indeed beautiful. It pulled a VDOT in terms of engineering the highway by having the roadway traverse through its natural setting rather than the typical NCDOT policy of leveling out the roadway.

Old NC 49 through the Farmer community is also very nice. That area is locally known as the Jacksons Creek area.

• 1 month later...

This road looks like it will run about 10 miles north of us US 64 along the alamance/chatham co. line. From what I hear, (grew up there)residents in that area have talked people surveying a new road. Why would we need a new road in that area? Why not just use the current US 64? Maybe this is to cross 421 closer to greensboro?

Archived