Trader Joe's

bdp

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to Figs once and thought it was terrible.

I walked through one time and thought, "I'll have to come back and try this sometime."

When I walked through Eatzi's, I thought,"I'll have that and that and that and that." Big difference.

I hope that the demise of Figs isn't sending any negative messages to Eatzi's, Dean & DeLuca, Southern Market, and the other prepared food outlets out there wanting to expand.

Figs just did a lot of things wrong, mostly smell. I don't know if it was the building or what, but it just put me off the first time I walked in, and never returned. There also was the feeling of having to get to the left edge of the store or the back wall to get anything quickly, passing through a lot of things I had no interest in. There has been an "available" sign on the Figs space for a few weeks, but I can never bring myself to call to see what a space like that goes for.

Bath and Body works next door also closed around the same time, which I thought was too coincidental. That space would put them right across the street from Fresh Market, and the article says Fresh Market thinks Trader Joes is a complimentary store, since FM concentrates in produce, meats, seafood, etc.

The Cary location could be good, down the road from the other Fresh Market, not too far from neighborhoods, but in a space with a lot of parking. The next nearest supermarket is in Waverly Place/Cresent Commons.

• 2 months later...

It sounds like a little more competition for Fresh Market and Whole Foods than it does for HT.

These stores seem to have a great variety utilizing about 1/3 the space of a regular chain food store. I would frequent Trader Joe's when I lived in Modesto California for all of the hard to find items that a normal store would not have. Anyone familiar with a Tom Leonard's store will know what to expect since they are about the same.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I went to today and it was...fine. I haven't sampled anything they sell other than some bad tomato soup they were sampling, but my first impression is; eh? At this point I just don't get all of the hype. I felt this way in Costco the two times I've been. Don't get me wrong, they are both nice, but I honestly don't understand why people drive more than 15 minutes to get to either of these places. I wrote in Raleighing that both lack the "wow" factor I saw in the original Dean & Deluca, Eatzi's, and IKEA. I hope both places make it, but I just don't get why we've been flooded with "leads" that Trader Joe's is coming; like it's was to turn the market upside down or something. I may eat these words one day. :whistling:

I went to today and it was...fine. I haven't sampled anything they sell other than some bad tomato soup they were sampling, but my first impression is; eh? At this point I just don't get all of the hype. I felt this way in Costco the two times I've been. Don't get me wrong, they are both nice, but I honestly don't understand why people drive more than 15 minutes to get to either of these places. I wrote in Raleighing that both lack the "wow" factor I saw in the original Dean & Deluca, Eatzi's, and IKEA. I hope both places make it, but I just don't get why we've been flooded with "leads" that Trader Joe's is coming; like it's was to turn the market upside down or something. I may eat these words one day. :whistling:

• 1 month later...

It looks as if Chapel Hill will be getting the next Trader Joe's in the area. Earth Fare in Eastgate (former Southern Season) is closing up shop and selling to TJ's. I can say I was thoroughly unimpressed with Earth Fare and am surprised they didn't fold earlier. The Raleigh store will absorb the former employees from Chapel Hill.

It looks as if Chapel Hill will be getting the next Trader Joe's in the area. Earth Fare in Eastgate (former Southern Season) is closing up shop and selling to TJ's. I can say I was thoroughly unimpressed with Earth Fare and am surprised they didn't fold earlier. The Raleigh store will absorb the former employees from Chapel Hill.

I think TJ's will do very well in Eastgate. The store's strengths are its nut packages and its convenience foods. With so many people in Chapel Hill who don't really cook and so many people who have nothing better to do than stand in the check-out line for over 20 minutes, there will be no shortage of customers.

Earth Fare was a good store, but it didn't do anything that the excellent and already established Wellspring already does.

Awesome, awesome, awesome news. I just found out about the TJs in Cary a month or so ago, and Eastgate is much closer to my house. My wife and I should be there often enough to keep them in business.

So glad they've discovered opportunity in the Triangle market.

Are you listening, IKEA???

Archived