Mt Pleasant Is now South Carolina's 5th largest city

monsoon

4 people were charged just this weekend for murdering a former aid to Va governer Mark Warner right in Georgetown. Washington is a marvelous city, but it does have a serious problem with its public schools and crime. As a result, amazingly, its population continues to fall.

Trust me, that is an isolated incident that is a rare occurrence for that side of town. The biggest reason for the population decrease is increasing property values. Unfortunately, with improvements being made and developers investing in the city like crazy, many people are being priced out of the District. As a result, amazingly, the DC metro population is growing like crazy (suburban Virginia and Maryland). Make no mistake, it is a very healthy region.

Now, to get us back on topic, I wonder if Mount Pleasant's growth rate will continue through the 2010 census? Since the city of Greenville is so small in land area, it seems unlikely that it will catch Mount Pleasant and its sprawl-oriented growth. The only way for Greenville to increase its numbers substantially is to annex land, and it seems that Greenville is selective about which land it annexes (i.e., it isn't just doing it to raise population counts, but rather doing so based on what will add to the quality of life in the city). As we have discussed, that has its pros and cons.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

exurb {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}?eks?rb{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} noun; a district outside a city, esp. a prosperous area beyond the suburbs.

By this definition then,Sptbg is not an exurb. I don't know what the correst term would be, but I still believe it is is closely linked to Gville as is it's recent growth. BTW, I went to Sptbg this weekend. I must say that it has a nicer DT than I had anticipated. It has a LOT of potential! It just seemed like it ws missing some excitement, big draws, and well; people. The square was very classy however, again,lots of potential in Sptbg.

With Gville annexing along I85 for the new parks, Verdae, and the other small additions, is it still at only 26 sq miles? Unfortunately, only the Verdae annex will provide any significant pop boost, and that not for another 15 or 20 years. :(

Too bad we can't annex Berea, Taylors, Powdersville; and all the way up to Paris Mtn, and all the way down to I-185. :lol:

By this definition then,Sptbg is not an exurb. I don't know what the correst term would be, but I still believe it is is closely linked to Gville as is it's recent growth. BTW, I went to Sptbg this weekend. I must say that it has a nicer DT than I had anticipated. It has a LOT of potential! It just seemed like it ws missing some excitement, big draws, and well; people. The square was very classy however, again,lots of potential in Sptbg.

I am glad that you enjoyed yourself. You are right though. Spartanburg does lack that 'energy' but I think it is slowly building. There are lots of small things going on downtown that will help move things along. Among my personal favorite is a new mexican restaurant on Main St :) You should stop by the Spartanburg forum and share your thoughts.

The Southern Connector is not in Greenville's city limits. Some of it is probably in Mauldin's though.

It's basically a best suburbs list (except for the Top Ten Big Cities part).

Well, not necessarily. The #1 best city, Fort Collins, is not a suburb at all. The city is the county seat and is the hub of what is known as Northern Colorado. Some people commute to Denver from there, but that is an hour drive. Most people live and work in the city. It is a beautiful place, BTW. Every street is lit and almost the entirety of the city's utilities are buried.

I think that with Mt. P on this list, additional evidence is provided which shows how quality of life is so important for people who live in the Chas area.

Well, not necessarily. The #1 best city, Fort Collins, is not a suburb at all. The city is the county seat and is the hub of what is known as Northern Colorado. Some people commute to Denver from there, but that is an hour drive. Most people live and work in the city. It is a beautiful place, BTW. Every street is lit and almost the entirety of the city's utilities are buried.

I think that with Mt. P on this list, additional evidence is provided which shows how quality of life is so important for people who live in the Chas area.

I agree - though I don't always agree with the rankings for the numerous different best city lists I would say there is certainly some stock to Mt Pleasant being a good place to live in. But again - not everyone is going to agree with the methodology, obviously the rankings are geared towards families.

Personally, I would prefer to live in historic Charleston, but considering the housing costs it might not be too bad of a decision to live in Mt Pleasant.

• 2 weeks later...

The Saluda River rapids are classified as class III. When water is released from the dam, they can get up to class V.

Columbia and Richmond are the only cities with these kinds of rapids running right through the center of town; a by-product of the fall line. There's a string of fall line cities - Baltimore, DC, Richmond, Raleigh. Columbia, with some interesting and cool geography in each...

• 2 weeks later...

The town i live in is called piedmont near powdersville and the saluda river seperates it in half. I live in the anderson county side, but greenville county is on the other side. Kind of funny i think that i live so close to greenville county like that. This is the same saluda river that comes down through columbia, and yes it is very big up here also.

The town i live in is called piedmont near powdersville and the saluda river seperates it in half. I live in the anderson county side, but greenville county is on the other side. Kind of funny i think that i live so close to greenville county like that. This is the same saluda river that comes down through columbia, and yes it is very big up here also.

If by "big" you mean wide, it's quite small here here compared to the Congaree and like a stream compared to the Broad. But even if it were the only river we had here, lots of places would love to have a river its size.

Id probably say its half the size of the broad as ive seen the congaree and the broad. All rivers have there narrow points and wide points. Here in piedmont it is wider because the dam backs it up more. Up around powdersville its probably only 50 feet wide because nothing is blocking the flow. The saluda up around here is not considered a good river to play in as many under tows have caught people and drowned them. That is a scarey thing to think about isnt it?

Archived