Mt Pleasant Is now South Carolina's 5th largest city

monsoon

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok guys....I have not really been too Greenville since I was a kid...I went to today to help my uncle with his Allstate business, he lives in Spartanburg, and we spent alot of time driving around Greenville...I did not know that Greenville is that big...Not the downtown but just the area as a whole...It felt like I was in Columbia alot of times...I can not believe that Rock Hill is actually bigger than Greenville in population because it doesn't even compare...I mean, I did not know Greenville was that big...I liked the median on the interstate with the bushes and trees...It's a very nice city. Hopefully I'll get to go downtown one day!

Ok guys....I have not really been too Greenville since I was a kid...I went to today to help my uncle with his Allstate business, he lives in Spartanburg, and we spent alot of time driving around Greenville...I did not know that Greenville is that big...Not the downtown but just the area as a whole...It felt like I was in Columbia alot of times...I can not believe that Rock Hill is actually bigger than Greenville in population because it doesn't even compare...I mean, I did not know Greenville was that big...I liked the median on the interstate with the bushes and trees...It's a very nice city. Hopefully I'll get to go downtown one day!

I'm glad you got to visit. Yea, you're telling me that RH doesn't compare, haha, it's crazy! :rofl: The median is nice, as long as they keep replanting the dying trees, haha. Hopefully you'll manage a downtown visit next time :thumbsup:

I know Rock Hill doesn't compare with Greenville, but y'all gonna stop beatin' up on Rock Hill. :D

I think Rock Hill is a nice city and I like its proximity to Charlotte, but I am glad that someone here has come to Greenville and seen that those numbers(city pop.) are a complete joke here! Greenville is a lot bigger than that pawltry city population. Oh, and downtown was packed tonight! Traffic was awful.

Yeah, I was like wow, I can't believe this is a city of 56k...I've seen it with my own eyes lol

Thats what most say when they come here. I appreciate you being positive about what you saw here. I love your city too I just had more going on in Greenville and it was closer to where I was originally from. What areas did you visit while you were here?

Ummm....Pleasantburg Drive I think it was called. I also remember the Laurens Rd. area. Blooms, we dont' have one in Columbia, that was a different grocery store lol....I remember White Horse Rd.

Thank you for posting your re-impression of Greenville, sonofaque86. It really helps to actually see places in person when making a case for or against levels of growth. I think it would greatly benefit this forum if everyone would visit each of SC's major cities more. :thumbsup:

Did you check out Woodruff Road? That is one incredibly busy place, with tons of cool shopping options.

I think it would greatly benefit this forum if everyone would visit each of SC's major cities more.

Indeed.

Yeah I remember Woodruff Rd. too! Was there like two malls on that road. I know they were close together but one of the malls were big...I need to visit other major SC cities alot more often...It really helps to see in person.

Not two malls.... There's the old Greenville Mall that is in the process of being converted to some other use, which is unclear (to me) at this point. And then there is Greenridge, which is a pseudo-mall situation, similar to the Village at Sandhill in Columbia. Still... there is a lot hoppening on Woodfruff Rd. I recently went down there forthe first time in about 6 months (I avoid that area like the plague) and it looked totally different. There were about a half dozen new buildings, a hotel, more stores in Greenridge, etc. that had popped up. I had seen the hotel from the interstate, but the rest was new to me. That area is really exploding with growth.

Indeed.

Not two malls.... There's the old Greenville Mall that is in the process of being converted to some other use, which is unclear (to me) at this point. And then there is Greenridge, which is a pseudo-mall situation, similar to the Village at Sandhill in Columbia. Still... there is a lot hoppening on Woodfruff Rd. I recently went down there forthe first time in about 6 months (I avoid that area like the plague) and it looked totally different. There were about a half dozen new buildings, a hotel, more stores in Greenridge, etc. that had popped up. I had seen the hotel from the interstate, but the rest was new to me. That area is really exploding with growth.

Actually, we have plenty of real information about the Greenville Mall site makeover. The new mixed-use development called, 'Magnolia Park Town Center,' will be an upscale lifestyle center with retail, entertainment, residential, plus potentially office (a single major corporation) and hotel space. There is a nice conceptual drawing somewhere online and it even appeared nicer than Greenridge. The project is being developed by Miami-based Gulfside Development Co. and Los Angeles-based Canyon Capital Realty Advisors, and will cost $100-million. Also on Woodruff Road, across from Greenridge is The Point, a large mixed-use development with plenty of shopping,dining, hotels, and offices. That Drury Inn and Suites you saw will soon have three neighboring hotels. Very closeby is the massive Verdae Development and the future site of The South Financial Group headquarters. :shades:

The two malls he may have seen were Greenville Mall and Haywood Mall, since it is a very short drive from one to the other on either Woodruff or I-385. If anyone hasn't been inside Haywood Mall very recently, I suggest a visit. I just went over there this week and was blown away with the total change that has taken place in such a short time. Very, VERY nice! :shok: Now if something would be done to the drab brown brick exterior...

Just got info recently that Greenville County is now at 407,383! Wow!

I'm still trying to figure out where we keep putting all these people... :dontknow:

I hope that Acadia will be a catalyst for growth in southern Greenville county. The land out this way I would think is more open and if you can snake the city limits out past those opposed to annexation, then you could get ahead of the game and annex large tracts of land. Out Augusta Rd past 85 would be easy to snatch up I'd think.

Nonetheless it would be good to get growth away from the Eastside. I really don't know how many more people can call that area home! Not to mention that it would be a huge help to the schools down there. Southside and Woodmont could use the suburbanites to help bring up the income level and level out the race ratios...

Anyone have predictions for 2010???

It's my guess the census is severely underestimating the number of people in Horry county. I just got back from there and was mind boggled by the construction. There is simply a huge amount of residential construction there not related tourism. Hwy 17, and the Intercoastal waterway are being lined by hundreds of developments representing thousands of houses. There is at least one development that will have 8000 homes. The same holds true for Georgetown county.

It's my guess that in the 2010 census, Horry will be tied with Charleston for #3.

Take into consideration that their 2005 projections fell short of the US Census 2005 estimates for all those counties as well.

Personally, I think using data since 2000 (or even 1990) is more realistic, since growth has accelerated throughout the state's major urban areas since then.

Yeah, cause I know Richland County for the 2005 census is estimated at 340,000

I would generally take the SC ORS numbers over the census. Its impossible to precesely predict what the population will be. The reason you don't just go back to 2000 is because there IS accelerated growth. You can't assume that the boom will continue. With the exception of Las Vegas, growth rates tend to lower as cities get larger. 1990 could be ok if you had figures for the years inbetween, and did the proper calculations.

Archived