Mt Pleasant Is now South Carolina's 5th largest city

monsoon

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would generally take the SC ORS numbers over the census. Its impossible to precesely predict what the population will be. The reason you don't just go back to 2000 is because there IS accelerated growth. You can't assume that the boom will continue. With the exception of Las Vegas, growth rates tend to lower as cities get larger. 1990 could be ok if you had figures for the years inbetween, and did the proper calculations.

I think the current trends would be useful in projecting populations short term (~5 years or so), but not if we were projecting populations for 2020 or 2030. Also, as far as the state source vs. the US Census, I'm more inclined to rely on the current Census estimates than a projection made in the past by the SC ORS. If both sets of numbers were estimates, I would definitely go with the state source though.

3,000 in Charleston County over five years? are you kidding?

EXACTLY.

Wow, good to see SC get some shine in a major national newspaper like the LA Times. But, um, where in the world did they get that prediction from? Columbia is growing and all, but ~240K by 2025? I really don't think so, unless the annexation laws get loosened so NE Richland can get reined in or Ft. Jackson closes and a really dense residential development is built on the land or some other really extreme unforeseen event occurs.

Over 100k in 10 years? Yeah right. I mean, I know that SC is growing fast, but I think that the LA times is wrong here.

Excuse me, but 2025 is 19 years from now. That's right next to 20. I don't see why Columbia won't double by then. Have y'all missed my posts talking about how the annexation issue has moved front and center at city council meetings with Daniel Rickenmann and Kirkman Finlay leading the way? They are both businessmen and see the money in it. Annexation + infill + adaptive reuse + two decades worth of new people moving here = 116,278 X 2.

I'm still trying to figure out where we keep putting all these people... :dontknow:

I hope that Acadia will be a catalyst for growth in southern Greenville county. The land out this way I would think is more open and if you can snake the city limits out past those opposed to annexation, then you could get ahead of the game and annex large tracts of land. Out Augusta Rd past 85 would be easy to snatch up I'd think.

Nonetheless it would be good to get growth away from the Eastside. I really don't know how many more people can call that area home! Not to mention that it would be a huge help to the schools down there. Southside and Woodmont could use the suburbanites to help bring up the income level and level out the race ratios...

Anyone have predictions for 2010???

It would have been nice if the city could have annexed everything down to I 185, that would really have added some land and could be filled in with some really dense infill in the future.

I Greenville has been prone to undercounts in the census in the past, and the huge influx of hispanics will make it hard to get a close count next time since they often don't respond. I would guess b/w 435k and 445k

Excuse me, but 2025 is 19 years from now. That's right next to 20. I don't see why Columbia won't double by then. Have y'all missed my posts talking about how the annexation issue has moved front and center at city council meetings with Daniel Rickenmann and Kirkman Finlay leading the way? They are both businessmen and see the money in it. Annexation + infill + adaptive reuse + two decades worth of new people moving here = 116,278 X 2.

Agree...Alot can change in 2 decades and the city has been doing all 4 things u stated. It's only 2006.

Indeed. It seems I am a bit off today. But I still think that number is a stretch. I will gladly accept being wrong on this one.

Feel free to pull this thread up in 20 years and rub it in my face.;)

Indeed. It seems I am a bit off today. But I still think that number is a stretch. I will gladly accept being wrong on this one.

Feel free to pull this thread up in 20 years and rub it in my face.;)

Well if I can rub 800,000 Greenville County residents in everyone's face, then I guess it will be alright to be wrong on this one. --- Just kidding! :lol:

I think it is definately plausable for Columbia to have a city population of 200K within the next 20 years. You have to look at the big picture people have just begun to move to the south. There are still a great deal of people who have yet to hear of the second and third teir southern cities. I've said it time and time again, this is only the beginnig of a great migration of people to a region that has been long neglected it is likely to continue throughout our lifetime. All the right ingrediants are in the south right now. High QOL, cheap land/ housing, etc... the south is the new California. I can't see the trend slowing down or halting anytime soon. It's just so much to be gained. We are at a point and time that will be significant in american history only we cant see it because we are living in it but there will be much talk about the "great southern migration" in text books years from now I'd put money on it!

Besides it's the census stating that Columbia will double its size by 2025 not the "LA Times". Is that really that hard to believe? Columbia already has one of the nations largest cities (land area) in the nation. Remember Columbia is following the same model of growth Austin, TX is and considering cost of living it is very realistic to see that kind of growth there. Sure its easy to say now that the city wont get that big but if you think about it the UA is already twice that size and only 100K less than Raleigh. South Carolinians really need to give themselves more credit. There are alot of quality things going on in SC right now that will be recieved on a national level which is evident by the LA Times article. Always keep I know this seems like an eternitiy for us because we live here but this is truly only the beginning of huge things to come all you have to do is follow the patterns of the past.

Surpised to see something about Columbia in the L.A. Times :shades: . I hope we caught some big investors attention. Just dying to invest his money somewhere he can save more and make more..

Most Californians want to be homeowners and a majority is simply priced out of the market with the average house in San Francisco selling for $700K...so, SC's markets like Columbia, here we come...

Perhaps, but I hope the city of Greenville will be very dense by that time, with plenty of people packed into towers downtown and along the interstates.

Indeed, city of Greenville looks far more bigger than Concord, CA, which has over 130,000 & is the county seat and largest city in Contra Costa County in the East Bay region of SF Bay Area. There is absolutely nothing in Concord! not even a downtown...Concord is about 40 minutes via BART from downtown San Francisco. Indeed, Greenville looks like a big city compared to Concord...

Most Californians want to be homeowners and a majority is simply priced out of the market with the average house in San Francisco selling for $700K...so, SC's markets like Columbia, here we come...

Come on over. The upcountry-coastal plain hybrid capital city will be happy to welcome you.

Indeed, city of Greenville looks far more bigger than Concord, CA, which has over 130,000 & is the county seat and largest city in Contra Costa County in the East Bay region of SF Bay Area. There is absolutely nothing in Concord! not even a downtown...Concord is about 40 minutes via BART from downtown San Francisco. Indeed, Greenville looks like a big city compared to Concord...

That's one of the nicest qualities about Greenville. Greenville is the commercial / business hub for a million plus region, which until a few years ago was classed as one metro. Therefore Greenville has attractions, quality retail, upper end hotels, great restaurants, etc that many larger cities do not have. The feel of the Greenville area is that of much larger city than it's small municipal boundaries indicate. Next time you are back East, check it out! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Come on over. The upcountry-coastal plain hybrid capital city will be happy to welcome you.

No offense, but Columbia can't lay claim to real Upcountry terrain. That part belongs to the Upstate region alone in this state. If you like mountains and nice rolling foothills with steep slopes, there is no comparison between the Upstate and Midlands terrain. It is actually one of the most attractive qualities of this region, since many people move here to be so near the beautiful Blue Ridge mountains in northern Greenville, Oconee, Pickens, and Spartanburg counties. That is also a major reason Greenville is home to the US Pro Cycling Championship. :shades:

Archived