Downtown Plans move ahead

UrbaniDesDev

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Downtown frenzy begins

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06104/682180-53.stm

There are many of the small business that are present in the area are not a good match with the type of development that is being proposed there. Low-end jewelry stores, specializing in "stupid gold", baggy pant sports gear stores, cheap wig stores and discount dollar stores will probably be replaced with more high end type retailers.

The corner of Liberty and Market Streets I understood as being a part of the PNC development. I had hoped, due to its limting size, would become a parklet, perhaps with an info kiosk situated on it.

20051221_WAP_PNCplazasite_230.jpg

He doesn't want mass demolition, though there may be some, possibly including the G.C. Murphy's building.

I hoped the GC Murphy building will be preserved. I also understood that the group from DC, Madison Marquette, planned to use it in it's development and not have it removed. It gives a good referance to the pedestrian scale that should be further developed and reviewed.

MarketSquareForbes.jpg

ForbesAboveMarket.jpg

Now with the intense interest in downtown it will be even more important to acknowledge the importance the areas existing building. Its the existing buildings that will give the downtown it's real urban flavor and with the popularity and success of downtown will now be under attack and we will be told they are not needed or wanted as a part of downtown's future.

CitySpires.jpg

MarketSquare.jpg

These 4 historic buildings on Fourth Avenue, I always felt, would be great for developing a mass concentration of residential reuse and would have a great impact on the Market Square area. They are, in my opinion, a great group. a great opportunity to develope Park Avenue type residences in Pittsburgh.

FourthAvenue2.jpg

FourthAvenue.jpg

There presance from Market Square is a key to redevelopment.

FourthFifthAvenues.jpg

I question the use of Don Carter and UDA as consultants. They have tended toward very suburban style solutions.

Downtown penthouse prices reach $1.8 million and rising. The Demand has been phenomenal

New penthouses in the Golden Triangle are fetching prices upward of a million bucks and they're being snapped up faster than even the most optimistic developer could've dreamed. Condos in the new 151 FirstSide building, for instance, are going for between $1.5 million and $1.8 million. And those in The Carlyle start at $1.2 million.

http://proudpittsburgh.com/blog/2006/04/do...-1-million.html

http://pittsburgh.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...editorial2.html

:yahoo:

I don't see UDA and Don Carter as suburban at all. They are a nationaly famous lanscape architecture firm. Don is a great guy also, very involved with the Urban Land Institute. They have lots of experiance working in downtown and urban projects (ie crawford square which is basicaly the text book for mixed income housing now as well as a masterplan in beachview). Check out some of their project...

UDA Projects

I don't see UDA and Don Carter as suburban at all. They are a nationaly famous lanscape architecture firm. Don is a great guy also, very involved with the Urban Land Institute. They have lots of experiance working in downtown and urban projects (ie crawford square which is basicaly the text book for mixed income housing now as well as a masterplan in beachview). Check out some of their project...

UDA Projects

Nice link, I was unaware of their extensive portfolio. Looks like they can really improve downtown for the better!

also, I think everyone would like to see the Buhl building (blue and white tile mentioned above) go residential. The Downtown Living Initative even included it in their "vacant upper floors study" (available online pghliving.com)...BUT the problem is the building is owned by 10+ family members so it is nearly impossible to either sell the building to a developer, or agree on plans to develop the building internaly.

How many different firms and groups have studied downtown? I hope we are done with all this studying soon and get to developing! (I am talking mostly about the major 5th/Forbes development here).

And why can't the mayor put some kind of survey online for citizens to fill out? Something that asks what WE want to see done, and how we want it done.

Sorry, I am getting kind of impatient. Every time it looks like the major work is about to start, someone says "Hey, let's study this some more." I'm all for doing things right rather than fast, but I bet they have all the info they need if they look at all of the studies and proposals that they have so far, including independant stuff like the Downtown Living Initiative.

Update: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06109/683171-53.stm

Millcraft has come forward with a plan for reusing the GC Murphy building and adding condos near Market Square. It sounds good and they are not asking for any gov't subsidy or tax abatement. :)

The article also hints that Madison Marquette has been quiet for a while. This does not surprise me. But fortunately we have other developers showing interest and presenting plans, much faster than I expected. After so many years of struggling, suddenly everybody wants a piece of downtown. I hope they settle on a plan soon and get started. This is exciting stuff.

Just some interesting tidbits I found

But you may not hear much excitement from those who already call Downtown home. The area's lack of a grocery store, in fact, is not that big of a deal, at least according to our very nonscientific question-and-answer session (see page 13) with a handful of Downtown dwellers. All of them say the biggest misunderstanding about living in the corridor is that the area needs a grocery store when there are several within a five-minute drive.

And demand for condos at the new 151 FirstSide building is so great that prices have been raised five times in the year that Coldwell Banker Pittsburgh's sales office has been open

Other surprises about city life found inside this supplement include the fact that South Side houses are proving to be hot properties in terms of resale values

Developers, after much resistance from residents, are finally about to break ground on three luxury condominium projects on Mount Washington

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/stor...t177&hbx=e_vert

Here's a little piece from the Business Times that articulates my own complaint about O'Connors continued "studying" of Downtown. http://pittsburgh.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...editorial3.html

(Just the first section - the rest seems to be about another topic).

A quote:

...at the eleventh hour O'Connor has brought in Urban Design Associates to help formulate his vision for Downtown's Fifth and Forbes corridor. The only problem is, a handful of developers already had been talking about their plans for the depressed retail district for months and are eager to get things rolling

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

There was a blurb in the PG's Business section (you know that 2 page compilation of business briefs and associated press feeds) about Point Park acquiring the stock exchange building (on 4th????) I wonder what they have in store for it. It is a very cool building, and I think we have discussed it on here before.

I think part of the music problem is Clear Channel. They decided to lump Pittsburgh and Cleveland in the same market, and guess where the guy in charge lives? I think we talked about this before, when it was first announced. Now that it's been a while I can say that I do think I have noticed a lot more country concerts in town and a lot less rock concerts. I hope it's only my imagination.

I hope you're not suggesting that Clevelanders love country music! We don't. There is a country music radio station here, and that's about it (so I guess there are some country listeners). More country music stations are in Akron and points south. Clevelanders, like Pittsburghers, like their rock music, as well as R&B, classical, jazz and modern.

Sorry to take this thread off course, but I wanted to correct any misconceptions.

• 4 weeks later...

I think that the focus should be whether or not there is a market for x number of condos and apartments rather than the $ demographic. Reality dictates that rent or cost can't and won't be cheap.

Downtowns are generally expensive places to live. Land is expensive in downtowns for obvious reasons. It's no different in the compact Triangle. However it's a bargain to someone who lives in Manhattan, Center City, or DC.

Archived