Heart of the Triad

Hotlanta

... The Triad will lead again....

No no NO, city, you're legitimizing his argument!!!!! :D

We could easily pick apart every place in this state, Raleigh all day long, CLT absolutely (my hometown), Greensboro and Winston, yep, but really I am pulling for all 3 of NC's major metros, smaller ones as well, and while they are all worthy of a lot of criticism it is painful to see pissing matches between them, and people with unwarranted attitudes versus the other ones. So I recommend trashing Alaska when feeling territorial, it is fun, and no one there has a PC anyway. And besides, look how many SC'ians we have lurking in our midst... ;)

Edited by nowensone

No, I have an easy time pointing out flawed and fluid arguments.

And couldn't it be argued that Raleigh is trying to be like Charlotte by luring a bank headquarters to the city? I'm not necessarily employing that argument myself, but I could see how someone might make that argument.

For the record, Raleigh did not lure RBC...RBC chose to move their headquaters to Raleigh because they wanted their executive management in a more urban environment with more convenient access to good education, great resturants, a good airport, etc. Those reasons for moving have been well publicized and it did not take much luring on Raleigh's part. There may also be other reasons why they chose to move that we may not be aware of, but typically banks are extremely strategic in there decisions for relocating their headquaters and it usually involves being closer to the most lucrative action.

Also, to insinuate that Raleigh aspires to be like Charlotte, that's ludicrous. Raleigh has no desire to join the NASCAR crowd. Yes, they have big banks, but in terms of culture, sophistication, and a national reputation as a quality city...they are lacking. That is not what Raleigh aspires to...just visit and see for yourself.

Edited by RALNATIVE

For the record, Raleigh did not lure RBC...RBC chose to move their headquaters to Raleigh because they wanted their executive management in a more urban environment with more convenient access to good education, great resturants, a good airport, etc. Those reasons for moving have been well publicized and it did not take much luring on Raleigh's part. There may also be other reasons why they chose to move that we may not be aware of, but typically banks are extremely strategic in there decisions for relocating their headquaters and it usually involves being closer to the most lucrative action.

Also, to insinuate that Raleigh aspires to be like Charlotte, that's ludicrous. Raleigh has no desire to join the NASCAR crowd. Yes, they have big banks, but in terms of culture, sophistication, and a national reputation as a quality city...they are lacking. That is not what Raleigh aspires to...just visit and see for yourself.

Understand that I'm not making this out to be a "Raleigh vs. Charlotte" discussion (there have been entirely too many of those on here and elsewhere), but I am saying that everything you've been saying thus far about the Triad cities aspiring to become one of the "big boys" can also be applied to Raleigh.

And for the record, although Charlotte isn't perfect, it most certainly has culture, sophistication, and a national reputation as a quality city (as the recent BET.com top ranking of Charlotte as America's best city for African Americans would demonstrate). But that's enough of that, since that isn't the focus of this discussion.

His "arguments" have been getting more ridiculous with the passage of time. If he keeps it up, he'll be looking at a suspension. Consider this your warning, RALNATIVE. Stop with the juvenile remarks. If you can't do that, don't post.

I will gladly leave you guys to your perceived utopia.

I think that Krazeeboi is saying that you make it seem like it's a bad thing to try and emulate success. I don't know whether you are trying to belittle the triad or not, but one could easy get that impression from your comments. I think that the situation is kind of like an arguement between a multi-sibling family. The oldest kid (in this case charlotte) has had his license for many years now. The middle kid (raleigh/durham/chapel hill) has just recently turned "sweet-16" and gotten his license. The middle kid flaunts his license to the youngest kid (the triad) because he can, and because he finally thinks that he's "arrived" with the big kids. What he soon realizes is that driving is no longer the cool thing to do for the oldest sibling. It's buying beer. Well now the middle kid wants to be old enough to buy beer. His jealousy only subsides when he too gets to buy beer. At this point the youngest has been driving for a few years and he too will eventually be able to buy beer.

The point of my analogy is that everyone has an oldest sibling (ATL is charlotte's oldest sibling). Everyone is eventually going to grow up (this is NC and even the triad has that potential). Why not realize that will happen, and that the best thing to do in the meantime is not to flaunt your success?

Weird anology i know, but take what you want from it.

I see what you are trying to say, but it is flawed.....

The Triad would be the "oldest" kid here because we were North Carolina's *FIRST* "large" economic engine. In other words, the Triad was bigger both economically and population-wise before the Triangle and Charlotte areas. Only recently (last 20 years) have the Charlotte and Triangle areas zoomed "ahead" of the Triad. In fact, the Triad had a bigger population than the Triangle until just a couple years ago.....

If anything, the Triad is the "has-been" big metro in NC.

:rofl: You crack me up, man.

No one claimed any city was a utopia. Yet another ridiculous statement when your "arguments" don't have any legs to stand on.

Now I suggest we ALL get back on track here, as we've digressed horribly. Let's discuss the merits (or lack thereof) of the Heart of the Triad proposal.

• 6 months later...

nice link that shows the Heart of the Triad boundaries.

http://www.partnc.org/images/HOT-general-PPT.pdf

The plan includes a major league soccer stadium which could be used for NCAA tournaments. according to the charrette, a special hotel tax and the help of the new "Amendment One" could fund the stadium. The stadium would anchor the the sports and entertainment complex in the Heart of the Triad and could include a PGA course so that the Wndham in Greensboro would become more of a regional event instead of belonging to one city.

As far as industry and manufacturing, the plan corresponds to the region’s industrial history but with a contemporary expression. While the Triad and HOT will see growth in warehousing and distribution facilities, this plan aims at more specialized manufacturing and industry. These endeavors support the area’s current R&D

initiatives. The industry clusters will include large-scale biotech

manufacturing, nano-manufacturing, medical diagnostic testing, customized

furniture design and manufacturing, back-office financial services, printing

and packaging, and the processing and packaging of local organic farm

products.

Edited by cityboi

This "master-plan" is nothing but poorly planned sprawl. It's a cheap attempt to replicate an RTP here in the Triad. I don't understand why they can't at least think outside the box?

I think it more like trying taking alot of things like RTP and combining them. I agree there needs to be something special and unique about this but if they arent going to do that, well at least there is a plan and road map. Id hate for this land to turn out like West Wendover in Greensboro.

I think HOT should incorporate an elaborate street grid like some of out better planned cities in the world. When was the last time an area like the Triad had a chance to create a "new city" with a CBD for the Triad. I know there currently is a plan to have HOT be gridded as far as major roads, but Id like to see as many roads as possible incorporated. I want this area done right the first time.

I think HOT should incorporate an elaborate street grid like some of out better planned cities in the world. When was the last time an area like the Triad had a chance to create a "new city" with a CBD for the Triad. I know there currently is a plan to have HOT be gridded as far as major roads, but Id like to see as many roads as possible incorporated. I want this area done right the first time.

I agree, I also think it should be done a little different from the Triad's downtown's to be careful not to compete with the success that is taking place in downtown Greensboro and downtown Winston-Salem.

I agree, this whole thing seems a cheap attempt to replicate RTP, and replication is never successful or the answer. It needs its own signature, or better and as implied, Greensboro and Winston-Salem should concentrate on the successes in their respective downtowns, and not spread (waste) precious resources too thinly.

I agree, this whole thing seems a cheap attempt to replicate RTP, and replication is never successful or the answer. It needs its own signature, or better and as implied, Greensboro and Winston-Salem should concentrate on the successes in their respective downtowns, and not spread (waste) precious resources too thinly.

The key is not duplicating RTP or downtown Greensboro or WInston-Salem. There is nothing wrong with having a research facilities in HOT but it should not be the primary focus in my opinion. I personally think the focus of HOT should be tourism and let the downtowns have the jobs. HOT could be a tourist destination project.

• 2 weeks later...

With it's overall location and the amount of activity going on in the proposed "downtown triad" area, or "Heart of the Triad" or Center of High Point, Winston-Salem, Greensboro if your not into the whole brevity thing, it makes perfect sense to add an urban feel to this area. In time this area has potential with projects like Triad Tower and the increase in job opportunities to help not only Greensboro grow but also W/S, HP, and K'ville and this area will really tie these cities together.

I'm not on board with this whole "HOT" thing. While I agree with the notion of sensible planning for future developement of the geographic center of the Triad, the urban focus should be on the downtowns of W-S, HP and GSO rather than trying to create an urban feel in an area whose employment base is and will likely continue to be focused on logistics which are inherently non-urban, low density, single-use programs - ie. shipping (FedEx), storage (warehouses) and manufacturing (Dell). And, the proposed Triad Tower, regardless of its mixed-use program, will do nothing (as it is currently designed) to promote an urban feel because at the end of the day, it will be an out-of-place tall tower in a sea of parking. To echo many other posters on here, it should be built "downtown."