Heart of the Triad

Hotlanta

Out of curiosity - Has anything happened with this plan in the last 1-2 years?

I ask as I really do believe this is the Triad's jewel.  The triangle is going to be dominated by Raleigh and the research park, Charlotte, is always going to be Charlotte, but the whole idea of a section of convergence between WS and GSO has intrigued me as a third selling point for the state. 

I also think it would be a prime area for MLS if NC ever got it.

I think its a good idea city leaders are taking some time on this. This last thing we want is for them to rush this project and end up with a suburban office park. city leaders need to think outside of the box and try not to duplicate what other regions have done. What ever they do, I'd like this to be an "urban" pedestrian oriented project. Maybe take the idea of Greensboro's downtown Greenway. A pedestrian/biking Greenway connecting downtown Greensboro with downtown Winston-Salem. The greenway could run through the heart of the Triad with landmark monuments, public spaces, recreation areas and art all along the greenway. I would like the heart of the Triad look like an urban city, not a research park or an industrial/office park. However this "urban city" should have its own niche and not compete with downtown Greensboro and downtown Winston-Salem.

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 1

• 5 years later...
14 hours ago, KJHburg said:

@jtmonk   what do you know about these warehouse and factories being transformed in downtown Lexington?  

There's a lot of different projects proposed in the area.  Right now we're working with a developer on a 3 story apartment building in the area, the new brewery should start pulling their permits any day now, plus a possible partnership with NC State University to develop the old Lexington Home Brands showroom into a agriculture innovation center for research and production of plant based oils, etc.  We also continue to work with the state of other agencies on getting the train station up and running which is pretty much shovel ready.  The plan is to build the platform first along with a temporary station.  The main station will come later as it is pretty grand in scale and funding is limited, I actually have a hard time seeing the main station come to fruition as planned but can definitely see a scaled down version being built.  There's also a lot of other great things going on around the city, a number of buildings downtown are being renovated into office and retail space with apartments on the top level plus your typical chain establishments coming to the city. 

• Like 4

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...