Chenal Parkway / Highway 10

Thanks for the link. I hadn't realized the St. Vincent project would have a building quite that large starting out, so that's why I didn't initially think it was the St. Vincent project (although I did remember it was being built somewhere in that area). Quite a lot of activity going on out there right now.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Sports Authority on Chenal Parkway has a new sign at the street. It now says "Sports Authority Outlet". I didn't see a change in the signs on the building.

I've always been amazed that it has remained in business. There's never anyone there compared to Academy.

• 2 weeks later...

The Sports Authority on Chenal Parkway has a new sign at the street. It now says "Sports Authority Outlet". I didn't see a change in the signs on the building.

I've always been amazed that it has remained in business. There's never anyone there compared to Academy.

The reason why it became an "outlet" location was because the Nike Outlet store opening up in the Promenade initially went to Rees Development to locate their store next to Best Buy. The Sports Authority folks fought it tooth and nail because they knew it was a threat and consequently decided to go with the "outlet" title. I'm right there with you. Academy beats their tail and I wish they'd put something better in that space.

Interesting find in the plumbing permits. Marshall's is locating in part of the former Kroger on Chenal. Last time I was by there, it had been divided into 3 separate pieces, each with its own entrance. Don't know if the other two are leased as well or if they are just for future prospects.

Interesting find in the plumbing permits. Marshall's is locating in part of the former Kroger on Chenal. Last time I was by there, it had been divided into 3 separate pieces, each with its own entrance. Don't know if the other two are leased as well or if they are just for future prospects.

I can see that being a decent spot for them I guess. Close enough to the Promenade but probably a little cheaper overhead than some of those centers next to it. I had heard a gym was going into one of the spots in the old store but I don't know how accurate that is.

It's Marshall's/TJMaxx, A gym (was supposed to be Gold's Gym), and the 3rd spot hasn't been occupied yet.

• 1 month later...

I found an interesting item on the Little Rock planning commission agenda, dated October 6th, that appears to bode well economically for the city in the future. Item 4 states that the management of Fidelity Information Services (FIS) has decided to expand its Little Rock campus in the future. In order to accommodate this growth, it is requesting approval for an expanded power plant now, and a central power plant building when conditions warrant. Most interestingly, FIS wishes to retain the site plan from 1992, which depicts planned construction of a very large parking deck on the southeast end of the campus and three more office buildings to the north of the deck. The deck would ultimately service all six current and future office buildings. Of course, this is a long-range plan, but the fact that FIS is preparing for future expansion bodes well for Little Rock.

On a somewhat related matter, just to the north of the FIS campus, construction has begun on the Verizon central switching office building.

Further west on Highway 10, Easter Seals is hoping to purchase and renovate the old grocery store building at the southwest corner of Highway 10 and Taylor Loop East (just west of Bank of the Ozarks) for an adult training and wellness center. That building has been vacant for a long time, and it would be nice to see something positive happen to it.

It's Marshall's/TJMaxx, A gym (was supposed to be Gold's Gym), and the 3rd spot hasn't been occupied yet.

On this note, dirt and steel work is being done in the lot next to the former Kroger space, it looked to me last night like they were planning on expanding that (now) strip of suites. I don't know if demand is higher than expected so they're expanding or if another tenant wanted to be located there but needed a larger space than was available or what the deal is, but there was definitely some construction going on there as of yesterday.

• 2 months later...

The Kroger store on Highway 10 has begun demolition of the adjoining strip mall for expansion and rebranding into a Kroger Marketplace... will be the 3rd in the state.

The article in Arkansas Business a few weeks ago stated that the Kroger Company is in the process of purchasing the land to the east of the existing Kroger, along with the existing store and adjoining 10,000 square foot retail space. They plan to build a 113,000 square foot store to replace the current 51,300 square foot grocery. Kroger plans to open the new store by Christmas, after which it will tear down the old store for additional parking. The article did not mention demolition of the adjoining retail space.

• 1 month later...

Work appears to have started on the extension of Wellington Hills Road south across Chenal Parkway so that it meets up with Kanis. I know this is part of the city's master plan, but I think the original intent was to let that be how westbound traffic on Kanis would connect to Chenal Parkway and keeping the easternmost Kanis/Chenal intersection a minor one. A few years ago a light was put in there and now there are two lights just yards apart. It seems redundant and this new extension doesn't seem worth it. Anyone know any more?

• 3 weeks later...

Work has begun on the Walmart Supercenter on Chenal Parkway@Bowman. Right now I just see a chain link fence and some trailers. Not sure if they'll tear the existing building down and start fresh or just redo what's there. I would imagine they would want an opening by Thanksgiving, if that's possible.

• 3 months later...

Whole Foods may be close to announcing another West Little Rock location. The agenda for the August 2nd Planning Commission meeting includes an item for Whole Foods at the Northeast corner of Chenal and Bowman. That would be the location of Best Buy and the former Linens ‘N Things – now the Faithspring Church (I believe is the name). Unless the church plans to abandon its current location, I can’t imagine any other location where Whole Foods might locate on that NE corner. When the full agenda is released before the meeting, we’ll know more. Another item on the agenda requests a median break on Chenal between Autumn and Bowman to serve the Best Buy shopping center.

On an unrelated note, there are several items regarding planned commercial developments along Highway 10. A new round of activity may soon begin along that corridor. Currently, two “upscale” apartment complexes are in various stages of construction between Chenonceau and Chenal.

Work appears to have started on the extension of Wellington Hills Road south across Chenal Parkway so that it meets up with Kanis. I know this is part of the city's master plan, but I think the original intent was to let that be how westbound traffic on Kanis would connect to Chenal Parkway and keeping the easternmost Kanis/Chenal intersection a minor one. A few years ago a light was put in there and now there are two lights just yards apart. It seems redundant and this new extension doesn't seem worth it. Anyone know any more?

That extension is now complete.

When the full agenda is released before the meeting, we’ll know more. Another item on the agenda requests a median break on Chenal between Autumn and Bowman to serve the Best Buy shopping center.

A median break there is a very bad idea. I hope that the commission knows enough not to approve that. There is way too much traffic and it's too close to the intersection.

I do think Whole Foods moving there is a good idea, though. The Rodney Parham location doesn't have the visibility it needs. Not sure what its replacement will be, though.

• 3 weeks later...

I do think Whole Foods moving there is a good idea, though. The Rodney Parham location doesn't have the visibility it needs. Not sure what its replacement will be, though.

I like the sound of it, too, even though the current location is awfully convenient to me. More space would be a boon to the business, and expansion just isn't possible where it is. Should be interesting with the possibility of Whole Foods almost a stone's throw away from the revived Walmart.

• 2 weeks later...

Sports Authority is going out of business. The sign on the door says their last day will be in late October. I have to say that this is not a surprise.

The place was a complete dump after they converted to an "outlet" store. Just piles of product on folding tables. Really? They were doomed from the start in that odd location.

The place was a complete dump after they converted to an "outlet" store. Just piles of product on folding tables. Really? They were doomed from the start in that odd location.

Not sure what will replace it. Whatever does should consider either tearing down the building or doing something else to make it face Chenal Parkway better.

Also, there is no For Lease sign on the building. It may just be too soon or it could be that they've already got a replacement lined up. Dick's Sporting Goods?

Also, there is no For Lease sign on the building. It may just be too soon or it could be that they've already got a replacement lined up.

The Halloween Superstore? Hey, it needs a place!

Agreed. I liked Sports Authority when it was a "real" store. Hated it after they switched to an outlet store. I still don't like Sports Academy. It's the KMart of sporting good stores. Ugh.

Dick's Sporting Goods?

If only! Dick's Sporting Goods is way better than Sports Academy.

The Halloween Superstore? Hey, it needs a place!

Agreed. I liked Sports Authority when it was a "real" store. Hated it after they switched to an outlet store. I still don't like Sports Academy. It's the KMart of sporting good stores. Ugh.

If only! Dick's Sporting Goods is way better than Sports Academy.

There's a Dick's in Conway and one was originally associated with the Chenal Promenade.

Archived