Chenal Parkway / Highway 10

Bank of the Ozarks is relocating their headquarters out there to the intersection of Rahling and Chenal, right next to the Promenade at Chenal site. This really baffles me...why are they moving just a few miles down the road? They have a huge building with underground parking garage...I just don't see why they feel the need to move such a short distance away, for no apparent reason.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just don't see why they feel the need to move such a short distance away, for no apparent reason.

I read that they have outgrown the space in their current headquarters and need a new building. While their HQ will move, I understand that they plan to utilize the current building, as well.

Back around 2001-2002, Bank of the Ozarks purchased the half block in downtown that is bordered by 3rd and 4th streets on the north and south, and by Broadway on the west

I read that they have outgrown the space in their current headquarters and need a new building. While their HQ will move, I understand that they plan to utilize the current building, as well.

Back around 2001-2002, Bank of the Ozarks purchased the half block in downtown that is bordered by 3rd and 4th streets on the north and south, and by Broadway on the west

I may be a geek for even thinking about things like this, but...

I never understood why the Bank of the Ozarks is headquartered in Little Rock, until someone expalined that it was once in Mulberry, but moved to Little Rock. I think it's weird that the headquarters for the Bank of the Ozarks is in the eastern edge of the Ouachitas, nowhere near the Ozarks.

I may be a geek for even thinking about things like this, but...

I never understood why the Bank of the Ozarks is headquartered in Little Rock, until someone expalined that it was once in Mulberry, but moved to Little Rock. I think it's weird that the headquarters for the Bank of the Ozarks is in the eastern edge of the Ouachitas, nowhere near the Ozarks.

You know what's weirder? Ozarka water is far and away Texas' most popular bottled water yet it's entirely producted in Texas springs, most of them down around San Antonio.

Regions Bank really just covers one region.

LOL yeah, I remember wondering about the ozarka water thing a while back.

Another thing that bothers me is...

Mount Magazine is in the Ouachita Mountains. However, it is located in the Ozark National Forest.

Looking at a map, you notice that it's right near the Ouachita National Forest, in the Ouachita Mountains.

The Ozark National Forest and the Ozark Mountains are quite far from there. Why in the world is a Ouachita Mountain in the Ozark National Forest???

LOL yeah, I remember wondering about the ozarka water thing a while back.

Another thing that bothers me is...

Mount Magazine is in the Ouachita Mountains. However, it is located in the Ozark National Forest.

Looking at a map, you notice that it's right near the Ouachita National Forest, in the Ouachita Mountains.

The Ozark National Forest and the Ozark Mountains are quite far from there. Why in the world is a Ouachita Mountain in the Ozark National Forest???

I never have been able to keep the whole Quachita/Ozark thing straight. I wish it was as simple as whether you're North or South of the River but I'm told you can still be in the Ozarks south of the River.

Actually, the Ozarks never go south of the river. However, the Ouachitas do go north of the river. While the dept. of tourism has a region classified as the river valley, in reality, there is no physiographic river valley region in Arkansas. The entire region that the dept. of tourism calls the river valley, is actually all in the Ouachita Mountains. The easiest way to differentiate is...The Ouachita Mountains go east to west, the Ozarks go north to south. You will notice that all of the mountains in the "river valley" go east to west. I've included a map that shows the physiographic regions.

post-7516-1159930480_thumb.jpg

Actually, the Ozarks never go south of the river. However, the Ouachitas do go north of the river. While the dept. of tourism has a region classified as the river valley, in reality, there is no physiographic river valley region in Arkansas. The entire region that the dept. of tourism calls the river valley, is actually all in the Ouachita Mountains. The easiest way to differentiate is...The Ouachita Mountains go east to west, the Ozarks go north to south. You will notice that all of the mountains in the "river valley" go east to west. I've included a map that shows the physiographic regions.

I've always thought it was interesting that Little Rock is situated more or less at the exact intersection of the ouachita mountain, delta, and west gulf costal plain regions.

I've always thought it was interesting that Little Rock is situated more or less at the exact intersection of the ouachita mountain, delta, and west gulf costal plain regions.

That's one of the things I like best about Arkansas. If you drive over to Scott and eat at Cotham's, fish on an oxbow lake and visit one of the plantations you would think you were deep in the Delta yet you're only 10 min East of downtown LR. 10 min West of downtown LR in west LR you have hills and mountains as impressive as most of what you'll find in the heart of the Ozarks. The topography really is unique.

• 3 weeks later...

So, do you feel confident that this project is going to happen now? At least more confident than in the past.

I'm not a developer but they're clearly ramping up the PR campaign to build it, they've revised their plans and it sounds like they have a number of tenants lined up. The roadwork on Rahling should be completed prior to their opening, which I guess has been a big part of the hold up. I guess there's still a chance it won't be but it looks very good right now.

I'm not sure what kind of tenants it will have. It probably will get some really nice restaurants but as far as the "boutique" slant, I'm not sure. I have a feeling it will be a lot of smaller women's clothing retailers and relatively few national retailers but RED has some connections.

Maybe this is where Macy's may locate. Since Dillard's is no longer involved and if they want to make a big splash with the Promenade get Macy's

Dillard's seems awful proficient about stifling other dept stores entry into the market, though Saks Parisian has managed to pull it off. The fact that RED is developing Gateway Towne Center (including a Dillard's) as well makes me wonder if bringing in a Macy's or something to Promenade at Chenal would nix their deal to develop Gateway, maybe that was a carrot Dillard's could dangle to make RED play it their way.

Maybe not. In any case the square footage was supposed to be 348,000 and that dropped to 306,000 or so after it was redesigned after Dillard's pulled out. The last press release had it back up to 338,000 so maybe another major tenant signed on.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

AR Bus. reports that the land was purchased for the Promenade at Chenal. The 37.8 acres was purchased for $10.25 million

And literally just like that, there are no trees left. They cleared that land in no time at all. That Spring 2008 timetable which seemed dubious to me now seems completely reasonable.

Homes are really going up all over Chenal and in nearby neighborhoods like Villages of Wellington.

Does anyone know what the multilevel steel structure on the hill behind the Riverside Acura and Subaru dealerships across from the Chenal Kroger is? Is it some sort of office building?

And literally just like that, there are no trees left. They cleared that land in no time at all. That Spring 2008 timetable which seemed dubious to me now seems completely reasonable.

Homes are really going up all over Chenal and in nearby neighborhoods like Villages of Wellington.

Does anyone know what the multilevel steel structure on the hill behind the Riverside Acura and Subaru dealerships across from the Chenal Kroger is? Is it some sort of office building?

That would be Fellowship Bible's new campus. They sold their existing campus to Pulaski Academy and will move out when this new structure is complete.

That would be Fellowship Bible's new campus. They sold their existing campus to Pulaski Academy and will move out when this new structure is complete.

Thanks.

Wow, they started that quickly? It doesn't seem that long ago it was announced. It will be pretty visible up there on that hilltop.

Thanks.

Wow, they started that quickly? It doesn't seem that long ago it was announced. It will be pretty visible up there on that hilltop.

They had (have) about 24 months from the kick-off and beginning of design unitl move-in, which is a very agressive schedule. This schedule was required by P.A. who needed their existing property in a timely matter and that overlaid their academic schedule/school year. A project of this scope would normally (or ideally) take 36 months.

They had (have) about 24 months from the kick-off and beginning of design unitl move-in, which is a very agressive schedule. This schedule was required by P.A. who needed their existing property in a timely matter and that overlaid their academic schedule/school year. A project of this scope would normally (or ideally) take 36 months.

Wow, that is rather ambitious. PA is planning on moving the elementary into a couple of the Fellowship educational buildings and tearing down the old elementary, which is the cheaply-made eyesore facing Hinson.

I was confused about the location, I didn't quite understand where Kirk Road was located and didn't realize it was close to Chenal. Chenal, get ready for traffic headaches aplenty. Hinson and Napa Valley sure could be hell on Sunday mornings.

Archived