Chenal Parkway / Highway 10

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wonder about not building any condos for the first decade plus of Chenal's existance and now overloading the market all at once.

The developer of the Chenal Valley Drive project did say that he might build apartments, instead of condos. I recently read (in Arkansas Business, I believe) that the Little Rock apartment market is strong, and that new projects will need to be constructed in the next couple of years to keep up with demand. Still, it sounds like the developer is leaning strongly towards condos.

Anyone know why the Target on Chenal has a sign on the building that says something to the effect of:

"This is is under considerationf for a planned zoning development"

It lists the zone type as well, but I can't remeber what it says

This is from the July 5th Planning Commission agenda about Target. The item ultimately passed.

The applicant is proposing a remodel/expansion of the existing Target store

located at 12700 Chenal Parkway. The proposed expansion area will provide an

additional 18,339 square feet to the existing building bringing the gross floor area

up to approximately 141,314 square feet. The expansion area will be

concentrated to the front and right hand (east) side of the store allowing office,

stock and sales floor area to better serve Target guests. In addition to the

expansion, Target is proposing several upgrades to the exterior fa

After visting the target in Conway, I believe the LR Target is in need of many upgrades.

Compared to many of the ones in Dallas I think that the LR store is about as old-school a Target as you'll find left. I'm glad to hear they are revamping it and I've kind of expected this to happen for some time but I wish they intended to make it a Super Target. I think the fact the ones in Conway and Bryant weren't Super Targets means they won't be entering the grocery market in Central Ark, which is a shame considering how much I like the grocery offerings the ones in Dallas had.

Compared to many of the ones in Dallas I think that the LR store is about as old-school a Target as you'll find left. I'm glad to hear they are revamping it and I've kind of expected this to happen for some time but I wish they intended to make it a Super Target. I think the fact the ones in Conway and Bryant weren't Super Targets means they won't be entering the grocery market in Central Ark, which is a shame considering how much I like the grocery offerings the ones in Dallas had.

Yes the WLR store is due for a revamp, it's not bad, but compared to the recent stores added (Conway, Alcoa Rd)it's needed. Hopefully this means the WLR store will carry some more of the items these newer stores do (the full Archer Foods line would be nice).

Is the Alcoa Rd one Benton or Bryant? I allways get mixed up and don't want to offend by saying the wrong B-town :dunno:

Yes the WLR store is due for a revamp, it's not bad, but compared to the recent stores added (Conway, Alcoa Rd)it's needed. Hopefully this means the WLR store will carry some more of the items these newer stores do (the full Archer Foods line would be nice).

Is the Alcoa Rd one Benton or Bryant? I allways get mixed up and don't want to offend by saying the wrong B-town :dunno:

I think it's technically in Bryant but it's on the border. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I think the West LR store is a bit of a priority for Target. It's packed. As a matter of fact it's the busy Target I've ever visited and I've probably been in 25 of them. There were a couple giant Super Targets in Dallas that didn't do as much business.

I was hoping for the Super Target to get more Archer Foods products. I really like their offerings and in Dallas we used to shop there a good bit.

I still think a Midtown Target would do extremely well and I hope this whole University Mall debacle will get resolved soon. I think that store would be incredibly popular, there's no box store like that between Chenal and NLR. Midtown and downtown residents have to drive too far.

Good to hear about plans to update the existing Target in Little Rock, though I also wish it was to expand into a Super Target. Unfortunately, I don't think they would have had quite enough room to do that on the site they have. However, if Target does indeed land on the current University Mall site, could it be that the midtown store might be a Super Target? I know the format is more typically used in suburban, outlying markets (Cordova, TN, near Memphis; Fishers, IN, near Indianapolis), but it could work since there won't be a Wild Oats up at Midtowne, and it's some distance to other grocery options (Kroger, Hestand's and Terry's Finer Foods in the Heights; Harvest Foods in Tanglewood; Save-A-Lot at Asher & University).

Good to hear about plans to update the existing Target in Little Rock, though I also wish it was to expand into a Super Target. Unfortunately, I don't think they would have had quite enough room to do that on the site they have. However, if Target does indeed land on the current University Mall site, could it be that the midtown store might be a Super Target? I know the format is more typically used in suburban, outlying markets (Cordova, TN, near Memphis; Fishers, IN, near Indianapolis), but it could work since there won't be a Wild Oats up at Midtowne, and it's some distance to other grocery options (Kroger, Hestand's and Terry's Finer Foods in the Heights; Harvest Foods in Tanglewood; Save-A-Lot at Asher & University).

At least in Dallas all of the core city Targets were Super Targets and a couple were smaller stores that were expanded and remodeled to add groceries.

I would suppose if groceries are going to be added that it would be a regional decision - stores in LR, NLR, Conway, Bryant and Hot Springs would all be converted to Super Targets to offer groceries. The fact that recent stores weren't opened as Super Targets makes me think we won't see the full grocery offerings anytime soon. I think that's a shame because there's definitely room for competition in the LR grocery market.

I think it's technically in Bryant but it's on the border. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I think the West LR store is a bit of a priority for Target. It's packed. As a matter of fact it's the busy Target I've ever visited and I've probably been in 25 of them. There were a couple giant Super Targets in Dallas that didn't do as much business.

I was hoping for the Super Target to get more Archer Foods products. I really like their offerings and in Dallas we used to shop there a good bit.

I still think a Midtown Target would do extremely well and I hope this whole University Mall debacle will get resolved soon. I think that store would be incredibly popular, there's no box store like that between Chenal and NLR. Midtown and downtown residents have to drive too far.

The Target, Old Navy, and several other stores are in Bryant. However, The Chili's, Starbucks, and everything on that end closest to Alcoa is in Benton. I don't know why...but it bothers me that the shopping center is in two cities. There is another large shopping center proposed directly across I-30 from this that will lie entirely in Benton. It will be behind the Pilot and McDonald's.

Does anyone know what is going in at Chenal and Kanis just west of the Kroger store on that large tract of cleared land? There's a lot of work going on and I haven't heard anything about it.

I imagine what you are seeing is work being handled by Whisenhunt development that straddles Chenal, which includes new roads, office tracts, etc. This development also includes Fellowship Bible's new facility on the north side of Chenal.

Arkansas Business is reporting that a new office building, 28,000 sq ft, and an upscale restaurant will be coming to Hwy 10 near the Walgreens. No word on what the restaurant will be. Anybody have any ideas?

Ark Business also confirmed that Hank's will be moving to that land near Sam's on Bowman. The store will be double the size of its current location on Markham.

Arkansas Business is reporting that a new office building, 28,000 sq ft, and an upscale restaurant will be coming to Hwy 10 near the Walgreens. No word on what the restaurant will be. Anybody have any ideas?

Ark Business also confirmed that Hank's will be moving to that land near Sam's on Bowman. The store will be double the size of its current location on Markham.

They pumped it up as being "upscale". Hard to imagine what that could be. I'm guessing Ruth's Chris.

Archived