Chenal Parkway / Highway 10

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure which thread to use...

Has anyone noticed the work on the old Circuit City building on Markham and Bowman? What is going in here?

Goodwill has taken it over. Not sure of an opening date, though. Or how Outback feels about the new neighbor.

Also, San Francisco Bread (at Bowman and Markham) appears to have closed. No great loss. The one time I ate there, I was underwhelmed. I would think it would be a good location for a new occupant.

Goodwill has taken it over. Not sure of an opening date, though. Or how Outback feels about the new neighbor.

That's funny, Goodwill was going to do the same thing up here in Fayetteville. But a number of retail stores in that area complained so they went elsewhere.

According to the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, UAMS plans a sizable development on approximately eleven acres at the southeast corner of Rodney Parham and Cantrell, where the kite-fliers roam. More than likely, it will be a multi-specialty clinic and be constructed within the next 2 to 5 years, although details are not yet known. This will be immediately to the west of the planned Verizon facility.

According to the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, UAMS plans a sizable development on approximately eleven acres at the southeast corner of Rodney Parham and Cantrell, where the kite-fliers roam. More than likely, it will be a multi-specialty clinic and be constructed within the next 2 to 5 years, although details are not yet known. This will be immediately to the west of the planned Verizon facility.

What planned Verizon facility?

What planned Verizon facility?

The switching center or whatever they called it. From LIT uPP's previous post:

Verizon has planned a 21,000 square foot single-story building for a central switching office and warehouse at Anderson Drive. Currently, this is the open field east of the Cantrell/Rodney Parham intersection and just west of the two 2-story office buildings, where you sometimes see people flying kites. Only the eastern half of this field would be developed.

• 2 months later...

The business section of today’s Arkansas Democrat-Gazette states that Windstream will construct a 10,000-16,000 square foot data center at the site of the old National Home Center on Chenal and will hire 15 to 25 employees to staff the facility. A second data center is also planned at the site, but construction of that facility will depend on client demand. This property is east of the new Kroger Marketplace and northeast of the new Southwest Power Pool corporate headquarters campus.

I’m amazed at all the planned and current projects along the Chenal corridor. In addition to all the commercial projects we learn about in the media, I have seen several planned subdivisions/neighborhoods on the planning commission agendas, over the last four months. The future of far west Little Rock looks very bright, indeed.

• 1 month later...

Is Walmart about to remodel the chenal store? There is a permit filed on the ADH website. I would assume this is just new signage, etc.

That store does need the new signage, but otherwise seems quite nice. I don't know why they'd want to do a full remodel on it yet.

Yes, of course. I don't know why I read it that way, but I thought we were talking about the Cantrell Walmart for some reason. My mistake!

What's going on with the old Walmart store on Bowen? I saw a lot of trucks marked "Emergency Team Response" or something like that when I stopped by Sam's this weekend. I now can't remember the name of the company. They were setting up a big tent in the parking lot. Didn't look like they were using the building for anything.

• 1 month later...

There are two items on this week’s Planning Commission agenda that affect the area around the Cantrell and Rodney Parham intersection. Verizon has planned a 21,000 square foot single-story building for a central switching office and warehouse at Anderson Drive. Currently, this is the open field east of the Cantrell/Rodney Parham intersection and just west of the two 2-story office buildings, where you sometimes see people flying kites. Only the eastern half of this field would be developed.

The other development involves the overgrown lot with an old house that lies on the south side of Rodney Parham, between Woodland Heights Road and the three-story office building on the SW corner of Rodney Parham and Cantrell. Developers plan for a 15,000 square foot, two-story office and retail building. The first floor could also potentially house a restaurant.

Sign up on Cantrell in the "overgrown lot with an old house" property I think you are describing. The property is on the south side of Highway 10 between Metropolitan National Bank at Rodney Parham and Highway 10 and Woodland Heights Road. The sign says "Sushi Cafe Coming Soon." Guess we now know what the "potential" restaurant will be.

Sign up on Cantrell in the "overgrown lot with an old house" property I think you are describing. The property is on the south side of Highway 10 between Metropolitan National Bank at Rodney Parham and Highway 10 and Woodland Heights Road. The sign says "Sushi Cafe Coming Soon." Guess we now know what the "potential" restaurant will be.

Yes. That is the one. The sign has been up for about two weeks. I believe members of the Chi family (of Chi's Chinese Restaurant fame) are developing this property.

A capsule in this week’s Arkansas Business mentions that Baptist Health is close to purchasing the large undeveloped lot on the southwest corner of Chenal and Highway 10 for a future satellite campus that will ultimately compete with the western facilities being planned/developed by St. Vincent and UAMS. Several years ago, this property was mentioned as the potential site of a retail development soon after Walmart announced their plans for the land across Chenal. It may still be zoned for commercial purposes.

Additional confirmation from the DemGaz today: http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2011/jun/22/baptist-health-build-new-site-20110622/?email-morning

LITTLE ROCK — Baptist Health says it plans to provide clinical services on 22 acres that it’s buying in west Little Rock, making it the third major health-care system in the past 18 months to announce expansion plans in that part of town. The new site is at the southwest corner of Arkansas 10 and Chenal Parkway, near a Wal-Mart store. An offer for the land has been accepted, and system officials expect to close on the land June 30, Baptist spokesman Mark Lowman said.

• 1 month later...

Went out walking on Saturday — in nearly unbearable heat, at one point — and saw work underway carving up the old Chenal Kroger into a strip center, with four or five segments. No names were attached, except for Kroger's name on the remodeling permit. The portion including the old entrance is still large in its own right.

Went out walking on Saturday — in nearly unbearable heat, at one point — and saw work underway carving up the old Chenal Kroger into a strip center, with four or five segments. No names were attached, except for Kroger's name on the remodeling permit. The portion including the old entrance is still large in its own right.

I think they're doing it to make it more palatable to potential tenants. As far as I know there are none signed.

• 3 weeks later...

I was out at Chenal last night and noticed there is a relatively good sized steel structure for a building  going up on the hillside over the trees behind Kroger. I couldn't remember anyone on here mentioning a new structure of any size on that portion of Chenal (I also noticed there's a new office building it appears being built directly across from the Promenade). Any information on either of those projects?

The one behind Kroger or the one by the Promenade? Either way, thanks! I have a friend that works for their offices and I remembered him saying they were building a new HQ to consolidate their office locations into a single building, but I didn't remember it was that far out.

Archived