Chenal Parkway / Highway 10

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In today's Ark Times they mentioned that Haynie Co is planning on building a full-service Mexico Chiquito restaurant out on Hwy 10 (Cantrell) near the Kroger.

I used to love that place as a kid and all that's left in LR is takeout, there's a full-service in NLR and Jacksonville.

Awesome.

In today's Ark Times they mentioned that Haynie Co is planning on building a full-service Mexico Chiquito restaurant out on Hwy 10 (Cantrell) near the Kroger.

I used to love that place as a kid and all that's left in LR is takeout, there's a full-service in NLR and Jacksonville.

Awesome.

The Mexico Chiquito in Lakewood Village was closed a year or so ago after numerous health code violations were found. In fact I believe the building was torn down.

For those who remember the original Mexico Chiquito in Prothro Junction the Haynie fast food version is just a pale copy. The Latin American history classes at LRCHS used to have an end of year dinner at the old Mexico Chiquito. I remember going there with the class which was my first time to eat Tex-Mex food. I've loved it ever since.

The Mexico Chiquito in Lakewood Village was closed a year or so ago after numerous health code violations were found. In fact I believe the building was torn down.

For those who remember the original Mexico Chiquito in Prothro Junction the Haynie fast food version is just a pale copy. The Latin American history classes at LRCHS used to have an end of year dinner at the old Mexico Chiquito. I remember going there with the class which was my first time to eat Tex-Mex food. I've loved it ever since.

I remember the old location at Prothro well, it was the only one when I was little though I remember eating at the one at Rodney Parham and Markham when it was new, which must have been 20 years ago. That building never found a real purpose after that.

I still enjoy it and it's still about as good as any Tex-Mex down here in Big D. That said, anyone really from any part of Latin America would think it was more American than Hispanic. All chili and yellow cheese.

does anybody know what the plans are for the land surrounding the Kroger on Chenal Parkway? It seems like that would be a great spot for development and all the land is already cleared. That area is a good draw due to that Kroger which always seems to be busy.

When it was built I had always heard there were plans to develop it into a shopping center with a few surrounding tenants similar to what the Kroger shopping center on Hwy 10 developed. That was supposed to happen years ago, though.

I drove out Cantrell looking for Vanness, which is actually off Rodney Parham. I drive this way maybe 3-4 times in a year. I noticed all the new restaurants. But, this stretch has turned into a tragedy. My head hurt trying to look at everything. There is no continuity. It looks like stripmalls have been vomited everywhere. sad.

I drove out Cantrell looking for Vanness, which is actually off Rodney Parham. I drive this way maybe 3-4 times in a year. I noticed all the new restaurants. But, this stretch has turned into a tragedy. My head hurt trying to look at everything. There is no continuity. It looks like stripmalls have been vomited everywhere. sad.

No kidding. Welcome to "urban planning" as it were (and ironically, there is nothing "urban" about sprawl)....this from a "scenic corridor" overlay district. Not only is the planning and use incongruent, but the architecture (a questionable application of this term at best) is atrocious.

When it was built I had always heard there were plans to develop it into a shopping center with a few surrounding tenants similar to what the Kroger shopping center on Hwy 10 developed. That was supposed to happen years ago, though.

What's the scoop on the Hwy. 10 Kroger location? Certainly the cooridor is a popular place for strip malls, but the Kroger center itself was still half developed last time I was out that way. The land was cleared east of the building (behind Sonic) -- complete with parking lot lights and some curbing but without any other development.

I agree. There's a stretch through Pankey that's just awful. Most of those strip centers were just cheaply-built. It looks a lot like parts of Bentonville, things were just thrown up too fast. That Bella Rosa

I'm hoping some freestanding restaurants and other buildings can go in and break the monotony some.

The "scenic corridor" didn't pan out the way we thought it would, but I sure am glad they didn't allow billboards. There are still some nice views of Walton Mountain, Shinall Mtn, and Pinnacle and the satellite peaks around it that are visible that cheap billboards would've destroyed.

Throwing this in, what is going on with the Josephine Pankey Education Center?

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like Bank of the Ozarks is building a new four story 20 million dollar HQ at the corner of Chenal and Rahling: http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article.as...08.41045.109351

That whole area bounded by Chenal Valley as a loop, Chenal to the South and Rahling to the East is going to be called "Chenal Corporate Center" and presumably this is to be the first piece of that.

The current Bank of the Ozarks office will continue to be used as the space is badly needed, it's just too small to function as HQs.

B of O is growing rather rapidly and actually is entering the DFW market in several locations.

That whole area bounded by Chenal Valley as a loop, Chenal to the South and Rahling to the East is going to be called "Chenal Corporate Center" and presumably this is to be the first piece of that.

The current Bank of the Ozarks office will continue to be used as the space is badly needed, it's just too small to function as HQs.

B of O is growing rather rapidly and actually is entering the DFW market in several locations.

Too bad this isn't downtown...so they're moving even FURTHER out. Why?

Too bad this isn't downtown...so they're moving even FURTHER out. Why?

I heard the CEO built some absurdly large house out in Chenal somewhere - I mean 30,000 SF crazy or some such.

That said, there are good reasons. Specifically, the price of land downtown is a hassle and employees already used to living out that way don't want to start driving downtown.

It's a shame that LR lost its old downtown banking core. Worthen and First Commercial were such huge economic engines for downtown. Now the local banks are a shadow of what they once were, the large ones all were sold off years ago.

I heard the CEO built some absurdly large house out in Chenal somewhere - I mean 30,000 SF crazy or some such.

That said, there are good reasons. Specifically, the price of land downtown is a hassle and employees already used to living out that way don't want to start driving downtown.

It's a shame that LR lost its old downtown banking core. Worthen and First Commercial were such huge economic engines for downtown. Now the local banks are a shadow of what they once were, the large ones all were sold off years ago.

It seems that every other major bank has a presence downtown. Metropolitan, Bank of America and Regions in the towers. First Security in its new building (even though it's not its HQ), Arvest has consolidated all of its downtown workers in the old Superior Federal building at Capitol and Broadway. It would be nice if they would have a major presence downtown, but it's their choice to concentrate in WLR.

It seems that every other major bank has a presence downtown. Metropolitan, Bank of America and Regions in the towers. First Security in its new building (even though it's not its HQ), Arvest has consolidated all of its downtown workers in the old Superior Federal building at Capitol and Broadway. It would be nice if they would have a major presence downtown, but it's their choice to concentrate in WLR.

I'm somewhat glad that they decided to go to Chenal. The last thing downtown needs is another major bank office, and both areas could stand to benefit from some commercial diversity.

But as much as I'd like to see a Fry's open up on Main, I'm not holding my breath. :P

• 5 weeks later...

I knew there was some discussion for this, but I did not know that it was approved. Does anyone have more info?

http://www.healthyarkansas.com/eng/planrev...PLUMB/62424.htm

I hope it is a quality school. It needed to be built two years ago.

Fulbright is getting rid of pre-K in Fall 2007 to expand kindergarten classes. Fulbright was a very popular place for Pre-K. Fair Park is 100 percent pre-K and 100 percent full, so it cannot absorb all the kids who would have attended Fulbright. Fair Park has 8-10 classes. I heard that Chicot Elementary will be converted to something like Fair Park, all/mostly pre-K. It will interesting to watch the reaction of parents who planned on sending there children to Pre-K at Fulbright, now have a choice between Chicot, Fair Park and private.

I hope it is a quality school. It needed to be built two years ago.

Fulbright is getting rid of pre-K in Fall 2007 to expand kindergarten classes. Fulbright was a very popular place for Pre-K. Fair Park is 100 percent pre-K and 100 percent full, so it cannot absorb all the kids who would have attended Fulbright. Fair Park has 8-10 classes. I heard that Chicot Elementary will be converted to something like Fair Park, all/mostly pre-K. It will interesting to watch the reaction of parents who planned on sending there children to Pre-K at Fulbright, now have a choice between Chicot, Fair Park and private.

You guys might be confused - this is the Pulaski County Special School District site, which was always going on Denny Road near the PA Sports Complex and Wildwood Park for the Performing Arts. This school will feed into Pulaski Robinson.

The LRSD is looking at a site off of Rahling Road but the steep hillside will make building it costly so they are currently weighing options. The site is technically in the PCSSD, not the LRSD, but pupils will be from within the LRSD boundaries.

Construction is beginning on some condominiums NE of Chenal Parkway off of Chenal Valley as it loops between Rahling and Chenal Parkway. I saw the signs up this weekend, sitework has been going on for weeks.

This is near the assisted living/nursing care facility underway and very near where the new Bank of the Ozarks HQs will be.

Vallon Circle Condos

• 2 weeks later...

Look for an official announcement soon regarding yet another new restaurant on Highway 10 in west Little Rock.

This 3,500-SF eatery will be a name new to the Little Rock market.

It represents the first of several restaurants expected to set up shop on an eight-acre site just west of Taylor Loop Road.

Anybody know what this (these) are going to be?

Look for an official announcement soon regarding yet another new restaurant on Highway 10 in west Little Rock.

This 3,500-SF eatery will be a name new to the Little Rock market.

It represents the first of several restaurants expected to set up shop on an eight-acre site just west of Taylor Loop Road.

Anybody know what this (these) are going to be?

Where did you hear this?

Archived