Chenal Parkway / Highway 10

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

They're opening everywhere...Malvern & Arkadelphia even have Walgreens now. I find it interesting though that Walgreens is yet another example of a national chain expanding, even in small towns, but not in Pine Bluff. USA Drug has locations in Pine Bluff, and I think is even headquartered there. But, I doubt that is the reason Walgreens has avoided building there. In Hot Springs, Walgreens built a location directly across the street from a USA Drug. Maybe I'm wrong...but I don't think there's a need for a Walgreens on every street.

They're opening everywhere...Malvern & Arkadelphia even have Walgreens now. I find it interesting though that Walgreens is yet another example of a national chain expanding, even in small towns, but not in Pine Bluff. USA Drug has locations in Pine Bluff, and I think is even headquartered there. But, I doubt that is the reason Walgreens has avoided building there. In Hot Springs, Walgreens built a location directly across the street from a USA Drug. Maybe I'm wrong...but I don't think there's a need for a Walgreens on every street.

Walgreens has a pretty shrewd site selection process. They placed stores in LR at 12th and Fair Park and at Asher and University, I doubt they'd overlook Pine Bluff for demographic reasons. And kudos to them for not overlooking those areas. The placement of their stores in those two specific locations has fostered other redevelopment.

I think the Lafrance presence in PB has more to do with it than anything else.

i doubt the presense of another chain, that only has 2 locations in a city, would keep a major chain from expanding into that city.

According to the USA Drug website, they have 4 locations in PB. Given that they only show 6 in LR, that's pretty good coverage for a small town.

I think they still have a warehouse facility there too.

Still shouldn't scare off Walgreens though. They are the 800 lb gorilla when it comes to filling prescriptions nationally.

I've tried Walgreens. Don't particularly like them. I'll take an independent pharmacy anyday. But well operated Mom and Pops are getting harder to find. Many are selling out to chains like USA Drug.

Pros - Nice stores, good hours and nationwide access to your prescription.

Cons - Slow, indifferent service. Long lines.

They're opening everywhere...Malvern & Arkadelphia even have Walgreens now. I find it interesting though that Walgreens is yet another example of a national chain expanding, even in small towns, but not in Pine Bluff. USA Drug has locations in Pine Bluff, and I think is even headquartered there. But, I doubt that is the reason Walgreens has avoided building there.

Add Monticello (pop. 9,146) to the list of small towns that now have a Walgreens. Of course, two local pharmacies have closed as a result... but Walgreen's is only responsible for nailing the coffin shut. I think the likes of Wal-Mart and Fred's were the ones that doomed the locals in the first place.

As for Pine Bluff, USA Drug *is* headquartered there. Who knows why Walgreens puts their locations where they do, but I'm guessing they aren't skipping Pine Bluff on account of demographics. They have a store in Greenville, Mississippi, which -- to me -- seems like a slightly smaller version of Pine Bluff. Certainly, they have some strategy... Otherwise there wouldn't be a Walgreens at McCain & JFK and another just a dozen or so blocks down the street at McCain & North Hills.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I imagine that might put a bit of a crunch on the holiday shoppers this season, but it really will be good for the long run. As long as it is as well-outfitted as the Conway and Bryant stores (especially in groceries), I'll be happy. Not as happy as a SuperTarget would make me, but one can't have everything, I suppose.

Any word on how long the overall expansion/renovation will take to complete?

• 2 months later...

I was in Target last week and an employee mentioned that the company plans to add a pharmacy, a Starbucks, and a mini-Pizza Hut. He said it would be sort of like a Super Target. I'm not sure what 'sort of' like a Super Target means, but the update is needed.

I asked someone who works at Arvest Bank on Chenal what was going to be built on the land next to the Kroger and Arvest, and she told me that Kroger is planning on building a larger store, even bigger than the one planned for Maumelle making it one of the biggest stores in the chain. She said Kroger owns the open land but does not own the land where the current store is making the move more to their benefit. She was told that it will open about a year after the Maumelle store opens.

• 3 weeks later...

Other than Hanks, has anybody heard what might be going in on the corner of Bowman and Kanis? They have cleared out and leveled that large piece of land.

Also, any word on what might replace the CompUSA store?

I am dissapointed about CompUSA's demise especially since LR isn't large enough to support a real brick and mortar computer store like Fry's or MicroCenter. Newegg is fine but sometimes I want something here and now and don't want to wait a week for something to be shipped out. CompUSA was good for that because they sold tons of stuff you wont find in Best Buy or Circuit City.

Speaking of Circuit City, I heard rumors that they might be moving into the CompUSA spot. I think its a great location.

I am dissapointed about CompUSA's demise especially since LR isn't large enough to support a real brick and mortar computer store like Fry's or MicroCenter. Newegg is fine but sometimes I want something here and now and don't want to wait a week for something to be shipped out. CompUSA was good for that because they sold tons of stuff you wont find in Best Buy or Circuit City.

Speaking of Circuit City, I heard rumors that they might be moving into the CompUSA spot. I think its a great location.

Cool idea/rumor about Circuit City moving to the CompUSA spot! Much more visibility and just across the intersection from their main competitor Best Buy.

I'm an Apple guy, so my main concern was the loss of a primary Apple retailer. Fortunately, an Apple Store is soon to open! :thumbsup: Additionally, Best Buy now promotes and sells Apple in the "store-within-a-store" concept, but its not as extensive as CompUSA.

Cool idea/rumor about Circuit City moving to the CompUSA spot! Much more visibility and just across the intersection from their main competitor Best Buy.

I'm an Apple guy, so my main concern was the loss of a primary Apple retailer. Fortunately, an Apple Store is soon to open! :thumbsup: Additionally, Best Buy now promotes and sells Apple in the "store-within-a-store" concept, but its not as extensive as CompUSA.

I just bought a Mac as well.

Best Buy apparently hired the Mac guy away from Comp USA.

About a year ago when I lived in Dallas they closed the DFW stores. Since the company is based there, I took that as a very bad sign.

I always hated Fry's. Too gimmicky and too much sales pressure.

Archived