Chenal Parkway / Highway 10

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

Here are just a few quick updates on Highway 10 construction projects.

The Cantrell Falls development just west of the Walgreens at Taylor Loop East is progressing nicely. The driveway into the project is complete, the Burger King is open (and well patronized), and the remaining three parcels are ready for development. Original plans called for a sit-down restaurant, a retail complex, and office space. I don

• 3 months later...

According to the Planning Commission's agenda, a USA Drug has been proposed for the SE Corner of Ranch Dr. and Hwy. 10. I don't see the zoning not being approved. This will put their location about halfway between the Walgreen's at Hwy. 10 and Taylor Loop and the new one going in at Hwy. 10 and Chenal Pkwy. Seems like a lot of drug stores for that area.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Southwest Power Pool, the Little Rock-based electricity transmission coordinator for much of Arkansas and surrounding states, is poised to build its new headquarters on Rahling Road, off Chenal. The Board of the Arkansas Teachers Retirement System, which currently owns the land, will vote tomorrow on the sale of the land to SPP. Currently, SPP occupies a large portion of the Plaza West building in midtown with its administrative offices, while its operations staff works out of a building in Maumelle. The company is squeezed for space and wants to combine all its employees on one campus. If the sale is approved and SPP constructs its new headquarters as planned, it will mean more than 450 new workers for the Chenal area.

Currently, SPP occupies a large portion of the Plaza West building in midtown with its administrative offices, while its operations staff works out of a building in Maumelle. The company is squeezed for space and wants to combine all its employees on one campus.

Is this to suggest they will close the Maumelle facility? I ask because SWPP constructed it only 2-3 years ago.

Is this to suggest they will close the Maumelle facility? I ask because SWPP constructed it only 2-3 years ago.

The article I read did mention that SPP built their facility in Maumelle, and it appears that they will move the existing employees to the new headquarters. The article did not mention what they plan to do with the existing facility.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Five Guys burgers has applied for a plumbing permit at 13000 Chenal Parkway. I believe this is in the shopping center directly west of Target (Cold Stone Creamery, Jos. A. Banks, Chico's, etc.).

It's actually a new shopping center just west of the one you're thinking of. They've just started construction on it and the lot looks so small, I'm not sure it will hold much more than just the burger place. Maybe one more store.

• 4 weeks later...

A lot happening on Chenal these days.

St Vincent West is about to get underway.

The ashes of Alltel are being resurrected in an office complex.

Now word of the Southwest Power deal for office space right off Chenal close to Promenade.

Things are looking up.

Does anyone know if there is a master plan floating around the web of what cheanl parkway might be in a couple of years?

What about renderings of what these new complexes might look like? new power HQ? St. Vincents west?

I guess its good that there is some new developement happeneing in LR, even if its in WLR. I just hope its not at the expense of exesting structures.

Hopefully this is good news for the promenade.

• 1 month later...

The April issue of Life In Chenal magazine contains an article about commercial real estate development in the area. Apparently, there is a possible new retail development focused on the Village At Rahling Road area that could contain a “much needed pizza restaurant and upscale grocer.”

NEW HEADQUARTER CAMPUS FOR SOUTHWEST POWER POOL

Most of us have already heard about Southwest Power Pool’s plan to develop a new headquarter campus just south of the new Kroger on Chenal and just north of Pride Valley. While this is a major project, I wasn’t sure how much attention it would receive going forward. So instead of starting a new thread, I think this is the most appropriate existing thread for the following news.

A couple of weeks ago, the Little Rock Planning Commission approved the site plan for Southwest Power Pool’s new campus. No surprise. The campus will consist of a four-story, 150,000 square foot main building, a one-story, 40,000 square foot operations center, and a three-story parking deck. The company will also designate land for future expansion. Area developers hope that SPP will be the initial anchor in a larger business park, along Pride Valley.

Multiple cities/states attempted to attract the project, so I am very happy to know that Little Rock will continue to be home to the company. Great news for the local economy – especially with their plans to add 200 more tech-related positions to their current 440 employee base. As a skyline buff, I wish they would have announced a new mid-to-high-rise downtown tower. We don’t have many opportunities to add to our skyline. Of course, it’s more expensive to build a downtown tower than it is to build a campus on a wooded site. Ultimately, this is great news.

I’ll upload the pdf site plan included in the planning agenda and the image of the main building that was displayed at the big announcement.

Southwest Power Pool HQ Plan 20100401.pdf

post-13041-12719901016_thumb.jpg

The April issue of Life In Chenal magazine contains an article about commercial real estate development in the area. Apparently, there is a possible new retail development focused on the Village At Rahling Road area that could contain a “much needed pizza restaurant and upscale grocer.”

I know there is a Fresh Market on Hwy 10 and a converted Whole Foods on Rodney Parham, but I think an upscale grocery store will do well on Chenal Pkwy. Maybe Whole Foods will consider opening a larger store here, or better yet, maybe a Trader Joe's.

• 3 weeks later...

I know there is a Fresh Market on Hwy 10 and a converted Whole Foods on Rodney Parham, but I think an upscale grocery store will do well on Chenal Pkwy. Maybe Whole Foods will consider opening a larger store here, or better yet, maybe a Trader Joe's.

http://www.traderjoes.com/

Any idea what is happening at the Chenal Parkway near Kroger/ New Kanis Road junction? Lot of construction, lane closing etc. Wondering if city is preparing for New Kroger, SPP Headquarters and St.Vincent Medical village

Any idea what is happening at the Chenal Parkway near Kroger/ New Kanis Road junction? Lot of construction, lane closing etc. Wondering if city is preparing for New Kroger, SPP Headquarters and St.Vincent Medical village

I think the developer is paying for those improvements since they have land that stretches from the eastern Kanis/Chenal intersection all the way to the western intersection. Kirk Rd. will now be a major intersection and I think there's an attempt to coordinate that light and intersection with the western Kanis one, which is so close. More planning in that area would have been nice. Now there will be a light (as you move east) at Wellington Hills Rd., Kanis, Kirk and then Kanis again, all in less than 1/2 mile. Would have helped if the western-most Kanis Rd. intersection could have been routed over to Kirk Rd. and eliminated that intersection completely.

• 3 weeks later...

The Old Navy on Chenal has completed its remodeling. It's also smaller now, creating a vacant space that takes up about one-fourth of the old building.

Also, there is construction going on at the old Sharper Image. No signs up yet, so not sure what it's going to be.

• 2 weeks later...

Baskin-Robbins has filed for a plumbing permit and appears to be joining Five Guys Burgers and Fries on Chenal Pkwy.

http://www.healthy.arkansas.gov/eng/planreview/PLUMB/75138.htm

Sadly, in one of the city's ugliest, most ill-conceived shopping centers. Was that abomination really necessary? Have we lost all public sensibility? Sheesh...

That being said, I love both Five Guys AND Baskin-Robbins!

Sadly, in one of the city's ugliest, most ill-conceived shopping centers. Was that abomination really necessary? Have we lost all public sensibility? Sheesh...

That being said, I love both Five Guys AND Baskin-Robbins!

Since Five Guys server only burgers/fries/drinks and doesn't have any ice cream at all, it's a smart move on B-R's part. Of course, it's only a few steps from Cold Stone. With Cold Stone, Maggie Moo's, another B-R, Shake's, Haagan Daz and the new natural yogurt places, is it too many for the market?

Archived