Chenal Parkway / Highway 10

Since Five Guys server only burgers/fries/drinks and doesn't have any ice cream at all, it's a smart move on B-R's part. Of course, it's only a few steps from Cold Stone. With Cold Stone, Maggie Moo's, another B-R, Shake's, Haagan Daz and the new natural yogurt places, is it too many for the market?

That seems to be a trend that has also happened in NWA. There seems to be a lot of ice cream or frozen yogurt/custard places already. And they just seem to keep coming. Now we are even getting a TCBY. Are there any of those still left down in central Arkansas?

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That seems to be a trend that has also happened in NWA. There seems to be a lot of ice cream or frozen yogurt/custard places already. And they just seem to keep coming. Now we are even getting a TCBY. Are there any of those still left down in central Arkansas?

Just one that I know of. It's on Markham in West Little Rock. I had no idea they were still adding those anywhere.

The new Kroger Marketplace on Chenal is scheduled to open August 25th. A woman who works down the hall from me also works part-time at the Chenal Kroger. Last week, she was given a tour of the new space and joked that she needed a map, because the place is so big - unlike any Kroger she has ever seen.

Also, there is construction going on at the old Sharper Image. No signs up yet, so not sure what it's going to be.

The old Sharper Image has been split in two. One-half is becoming a Radio Shack (moving from their Bowman Rd. location). Don't think any construction is happening in the other half yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I know there is a Fresh Market on Hwy 10 and a converted Whole Foods on Rodney Parham, but I think an upscale grocery store will do well on Chenal Pkwy. Maybe Whole Foods will consider opening a larger store here, or better yet, maybe a Trader Joe's.

Does Little Rock have any Aldi's? They own Trader Joe's and there is never usually a Trader Joe's in a market with no Aldi's. Plus, Trader Joe's isn't really upscale its more of a niche grocery store (funny how things I considered upscale when I lived in Little Rock are not considered such now that I am in Charlotte). I think it would do well on Chenal if it were to ever come to Little Rock.

• 3 weeks later...

Does Little Rock have any Aldi's? They own Trader Joe's and there is never usually a Trader Joe's in a market with no Aldi's. Plus, Trader Joe's isn't really upscale its more of a niche grocery store (funny how things I considered upscale when I lived in Little Rock are not considered such now that I am in Charlotte). I think it would do well on Chenal if it were to ever come to Little Rock.

No Aldi's in Little Rock. The nearest one is in Fort Smith to the west, Memphis to the east.

I didn't know they owned Trader Joe's. Wish we had one of those!

Weird, guess I thought Aldi's had moved into more of the state. But having an Aldi's doesn't mean getting a Trader Joe's though. Fayetteville has had an Aldi's well over a decade (probably closer to two decades now) and there's still no sign of a Trader Joe's. I don't know the grocery market in Little Rock that well, but I'd think both could do okay there.

• 3 weeks later...

If the zoning variance is approved, and it most likely will be, then a new Chick Fil-A will be coming to W. Markham in the Home Depot parking lot. There's definitely room for it there, I've never seen the HD parking lot completely full.

Seems like a strange location, but people tend to seek out Chick-Fil-A.

Interesting piece on Kroger Marketplace. I heard a radio ad today for the soon-to-be-open Kroger Marketplace on Chenal.

http://www.bnet.com/blog/retail-business/in-images-kroger-marketplace-stakes-claim-in-texas/3241

I didn't know they sold furniture and jewelry.

That explains a lot actually. The one they built (and I assume are finishing out the interior on now) on Chenal is massive, and I couldn't imagine what they needed all that space for. Does anyone know what they're doing with the old store that adjoins it? or are they just going to connect them inside since they're part of the same overall structure outside?

That explains a lot actually. The one they built (and I assume are finishing out the interior on now) on Chenal is massive, and I couldn't imagine what they needed all that space for. Does anyone know what they're doing with the old store that adjoins it? or are they just going to connect them inside since they're part of the same overall structure outside?

From what I've heard from employees there, the old one will close at 6 p.m. Friday and the new one will open at the same time. It'll be stocked with all-new merchandise and what is left at the old one will be sent to other stores. There's a for lease sign at the street for the old space. Not exactly sure what will want that large of a space right there, but if/when the economy improves that could change.

From what I've heard from employees there, the old one will close at 6 p.m. Friday and the new one will open at the same time. It'll be stocked with all-new merchandise and what is left at the old one will be sent to other stores. There's a for lease sign at the street for the old space. Not exactly sure what will want that large of a space right there, but if/when the economy improves that could change.

Well, I can only guess which Kroger where that "old" merchandise will be going. At least my old, never-remodeled Kroger will be getting some "new" merchandise soon.

Well, I can only guess which Kroger where that "old" merchandise will be going. At least my old, never-remodeled Kroger will be getting some "new" merchandise soon.

It can't be as old as what Harvest Foods used to carry.

Oh, and on a separate note: for anyone who is having trouble finding frozen yogurt or ice cream in Little Rock (cause we all know there aren't enough places out there to get it) something called Yogurt Mountain will be going into the old Alltel space in front of Bed Bath & Beyond. Based on their website, it looks to be a direct copy of Orange Leaf, including the self-serve aspect.

Went to the Kroger Marketplace this weekend and was pretty impressed. When you enter, it looks like an enlarged version of Fresh Market. Lots of organic produce and some fruits and veggies no one's every heard of. The prepared food/deli/sushi/gourmet cheese area is very high-end. Great presentation and variety. There's also a sizable natural food section that I think will do very well. The furniture/towels and jewelry are all located on the opposite end and easy to lop off of your trip (I still find it a bit odd, more than anything.

What I may have been most impressed with was the self-check. If you're checking a large number of items, you now scan it, place it on a conveyor belt where it weighs it and then scoots it to another conveyer belt. At that point, there's no scale checking your merchandise so you don't end up with all of those "Please place items back in the scanning area" messages. Also, you can scan one item after another, so it goes faster.

Overall, it's a nice looking store. I think it will do well, although I can't see the LR market supporting too many of them. Possibly one in NLR, maybe, or even Conway. That would probably be about it for central Arkansas. It's definitely a flagship. But the jewelry and furniture - still don't get it.

• 1 month later...

A plumbing permit has been applied for a Bruster's/Nathan's outlet on Highway 10. It is a combination ice cream and hot dog place with 30 locations in the region. Arkansas' only location is in Jonesboro. Whew. I wondered where I'd ever be able to find ice cream in this city. It appears to be in the shopping center that contains Thirst 'n' Howl's and Pizza Hut.

http://www.brusters.com/index.asp

A plumbing permit has been applied for a Bruster's/Nathan's outlet on Highway 10. It is a combination ice cream and hot dog place with 30 locations in the region. Arkansas' only location is in Jonesboro. Whew. I wondered where I'd ever be able to find ice cream in this city. It appears to be in the shopping center that contains Thirst 'n' Howl's and Pizza Hut.

• 1 month later...

There are two items on this week’s Planning Commission agenda that affect the area around the Cantrell and Rodney Parham intersection. Verizon has planned a 21,000 square foot single-story building for a central switching office and warehouse at Anderson Drive. Currently, this is the open field east of the Cantrell/Rodney Parham intersection and just west of the two 2-story office buildings, where you sometimes see people flying kites. Only the eastern half of this field would be developed.

The other development involves the overgrown lot with an old house that lies on the south side of Rodney Parham, between Woodland Heights Road and the three-story office building on the SW corner of Rodney Parham and Cantrell. Developers plan for a 15,000 square foot, two-story office and retail building. The first floor could also potentially house a restaurant.

There are two items on this week’s Planning Commission agenda that affect the area around the Cantrell and Rodney Parham intersection. Verizon has planned a 21,000 square foot single-story building for a central switching office and warehouse at Anderson Drive. Currently, this is the open field east of the Cantrell/Rodney Parham intersection and just west of the two 2-story office buildings, where you sometimes see people flying kites. Only the eastern half of this field would be developed.

The other development involves the overgrown lot with an old house that lies on the south side of Rodney Parham, between Woodland Heights Road and the three-story office building on the SW corner of Rodney Parham and Cantrell. Developers plan for a 15,000 square foot, two-story office and retail building. The first floor could also potentially house a restaurant.

The switching office sounds less than thrilling, but that second project sounds like a pretty good use for that site.

Archived