Mooresville Getting a Best Buy

DigitalSky

Well, Mooresville has SuperTarget, Wal-Mart Supercenter and almost every other retail store imaginable now...

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/14269896.htm

This store would apparently come to Morrison Plantation.

Best Buy would fill a void for Lake Norman residents, who currently have to drive to University City for their nearest big box electronics store.
It's funny they don't mention Northcrest's possiblity of getting an electronics store though, however...

Circuit City said it had no current plans to open a store in the Lake Norman area.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Mooresville has SuperTarget, Wal-Mart Supercenter and almost every other retail store imaginable now...

It's funny they don't mention Northcrest's possiblity of getting an electronics store though, however...

Fort Mill has a Best Buy as well. It's about 5 minutes (3 miles) over the border down near Steele Creek. There is also a Super Target opening. The one in Gastonia closed if I am not mistaken. It's funny where they pop up and where they close. Charlotte is becoming way too centralized.

Fort Mill has a Best Buy as well. It's about 5 minutes (3 miles) over the border down near Steele Creek. There is also a Super Target opening. The one in Gastonia closed if I am not mistaken. It's funny where they pop up and where they close. Charlotte is becoming way too centralized.

That's technically Charlotte though. Fort Mill's city limits don't cross the state line.

Gastonia's store is still open according to the Best Buy site.

It's important to note how aggressive Best Buy's expansion is though

With the new store recently opening in Monroe, and a store planned for Midtown, a store under construction in Steele Creek, possible expansions to the Concord Mills area, Lawyers Road and Northcrest, and now a store officially coming to Mooresville. The real question is: where will Best Buy build next?

That's technically Charlotte though. Fort Mill's city limits don't cross the state line.

With the new store recently opening in Monroe, and a store planned for Midtown, a store under construction in Steele Creek, possible expansions to the Concord Mills area, Lawyers Road and Northcrest, and now a store officially coming to Mooresville. The real question is: where will Best Buy build next?

Its like Best Buy is dating Wal-Mart now... :rofl: On a serious note I wonder if they'll leave the Shoppes at University Place for a new location in UC.

There's one going in at the Afton Ridge shopping center in Kannapolis, off of George W. Liles Parkway/Kannapolis Parkway. The shopping center is going to be right next to the 85 South entrance ramp, and will have a SuperTarget and Best Buy. The developer is apparently in talks with three other anchors, all of whom would be Cabarrus County firsts, though no names are given. SuperTarget is slated to open in October, and Best Buy is hoping to open by November.

It'll be interesting to see the effect that this, as well as the potential Mooresville store, has on the University City location. For many shoppers from Cabarrus and Iredell counties, that was their closest Best Buy (though Cabarrus County shoppers have Circuit City at Concord Mills). That could be quite a few customers gone. I know that a lot of the business at the UC store comes from students and nearby residents, but a lot of nearby residents (such as me) hate going there and having to deal with that shopping center. I honestly believe that they should build one somewhere else in University City, though I'm sure that they wouldn't make road improvements that could truly handle it. In all likelihood, if a store opens up at Northcrest, I could see the University Best Buy disappearing.

There's one going in at the Afton Ridge shopping center in Kannapolis, off of George W. Liles Parkway/Kannapolis Parkway. The shopping center is going to be right next to the 85 South entrance ramp, and will have a SuperTarget and Best Buy. The developer is apparently in talks with three other anchors, all of whom would be Cabarrus County firsts, though no names are given. SuperTarget is slated to open in October, and Best Buy is hoping to open by November.

It'll be interesting to see the effect that this, as well as the potential Mooresville store, has on the University City location. For many shoppers from Cabarrus and Iredell counties, that was their closest Best Buy (though Cabarrus County shoppers have Circuit City at Concord Mills). That could be quite a few customers gone. I know that a lot of the business at the UC store comes from students and nearby residents, but a lot of nearby residents (such as me) hate going there and having to deal with that shopping center. I honestly believe that they should build one somewhere else in University City, though I'm sure that they wouldn't make road improvements that could truly handle it. In all likelihood, if a store opens up at Northcrest, I could see the University Best Buy disappearing.

It being right next to the crappiest Wal-Mart in Charlotte doesn't help much either.

It being right next to the crappiest Wal-Mart in Charlotte doesn't help much either.

I just wish they would make that wal-mart into a supercenter already. That wal-mart needs to be updated and is way too busy not to be a supercenter, but then again, what wal-mart is not busy?

Well this is more crappy reporting from the Observer. They say "Best Buy would fill a void for Lake Norman residents who currently have to drive to University City for their nearest big-box electronics store".

They seem to have completely forgotten there is a HHGregg just down the road at NorthLake. If that isn't a big box electronics store, then I don't know what is. They have almost exactly the same merchandise as Best Buy. And if that isn't enough there is also a HHGregg Fine Lines store attached to it. The only one in Charlotte. Maybe Gillian May-Lian Wee, who wrote the story, doesn't realize there is a mall up here now.

I guess that I expect too much from what once was called Journalism. But then again, this is the Observer we are talking about, i.e. they report the facts to fit their story. :sick:

Well this is more crappy reporting from the Observer. They say "Best Buy would fill a void for Lake Norman residents who currently have to drive to University City for their nearest big-box electronics store".

They seem to have completely forgotten there is a HHGregg just down the road at NorthLake. If that isn't a big box electronics store, then I don't know what is. They have almost exactly the same merchandise as Best Buy. And if that isn't enough there is also a HHGregg Fine Lines store attached to it. The only one in Charlotte. Maybe Gillian May-Lian Wee, who wrote the story, doesn't realize there is a mall up here now.

I guess that I expect too much from what once was called Journalism. But then again, this is the Observer we are talking about, i.e. they report the facts to fit their story. :sick:

HHGregg doesn't sell computers, CDs, DVDs, video games, etc. Yes, they sell TVs and stereos, which are electronics, but I would consider them mostly an appliance store.

I'm surprised there isn't a Best Buy in Huntersville and I'm surprised it's taken this long to get one in Mooresville.

HHGregg doesn't sell computers, CDs, DVDs, video games, etc. Yes, they sell TVs and stereos, which are electronics, but I would consider them mostly an appliance store.

I'm surprised there isn't a Best Buy in Huntersville and I'm surprised it's taken this long to get one in Mooresville.

Hmm there is a Staples next door ot HHGregg that does sells all that junk, but I guess that doesn't matter since one would have to walk about 50 steps to go from HHGregg to Staples.

As I mentioned earlier, Huntersville zoning no longer allows big box development as it is undesirable. There won't be any Best Buy's, Super Targets, Walmarts, etc in Huntersville. We do have however have a Sharper Image and other higher end stores that you won't find elsewhere in the area.

Yeah right now, there is enough growth and demand so that big boxes in mooresville will switch over quickly. What I am afriad of is the day when Mooresville is no longer the place to move to or shop and the big boxes will stay vacant. So far Mooresville has placed basically all commericial operations at Exit 36 so hopefully if that stays the case, the area will always be in demand.

Part of what you have to keep in mind is that the lake will always be there. The lake area is affluent. Take a look at Myers Park and SouthPark in Charlotte... this area hasn't experienced what Independence and South Boulevard have in terms of retail leaving and moving down because this area is affluent and primairly residential, not a thoroughfare corridor like 521 and 74. So I think with that at least the west side of I-77 should be ok in Mooresville.

Archived