Crime

Because of all the illegal activity occurring along the sandbars and in the trees behind Hamel Memorial Park, the city is thinning out some of the trees and getting rid of the underbrush.

This is being done in response to the illegal activities occurring, but in my opinion it will also make for excellent views of the river. I wish the city of Shreveport would do this all the way down the riverbank. Leave most of the trees, but thin out the overgrowth and some of the trees.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...EWS01/608120393

On a similar subject, there is a spot along the Clyde Fant Parkway, north of downtown, where the road curves and there are trees blocking the view. If those trees were thinned out, that spot would be the #1 best spot from which to view and photograph the city's skyline. I wonder if that property is privately owned or city-owned. I'd like to petition someone to thin that spot out just for the excellent benefit of having an amazing skyline view.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is honestly one of Shreveport's biggest problems. This is just the very beginning... this will go on all throughout the Spring and Summer months. Last year, a taxi driver was beaten severely in this area after a bunch of congregating thugs decided it'd be funny to jump all over his taxi. He called them on it, so they dragged him from his taxi and beat him nearly to death.

The city has tried their best to prevent happenings like this by creating more things for the youth in that neighborhood to do. For a while they had an event called Super Safe Sunday where they would have a different major rap or R&B artist in Independence Stadium each Sunday, along with other activities. This was quickly cancelled, though, after Super Safe Sunday became Super Violent Sunday and these thugs began shooting and stabbing one another AT the stadium.

I swear Shreveport is not a lawless city, but this Sunday cruising/congregating thing has got to be nipped in the bud. I don't care if the National Guard has to become involved, although then it will become an even bigger racial hotbutton than it already is. Still, something must be done. I know all cities have their problems, especially in areas like Shreveport's Fair Park/Queensborough area, but it should never get to this point.

So Nate, if anything ever did put you in Shreveport-Bossier to live... by all means, work and play in Shreveport-Bossier proper, but reside in the burbs with the rest of us sane folks. :)

Now Shreveport is getting to be a f****d up place to live. It's even worse when you have an event catered to young folk and stupid thugs get to shooting.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

According to the FBI, only one hate crime was committed in all of Shreveport-Bossier last year. And to be honest it sounds more like that one instance was nothing more than just a cruel prank anyway. Supposedly last year's one instance occurred when a black woman said a man called her on the phone claiming to be a member of the KKK.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...NGNEWS/61018012

Former Shreveporter-turned-serial killer, Danny Rolling, is to be put to death by lethal injection, tonight, in Florida.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...EWS01/610250324

Rolling has for years been a prime suspect in the 1989 murders of a family in Shreveport's Southern Hills neighborhood. Before leaving Shreveport for Florida, Rolling worked as a dish washer at Pancho's Mexican Buffet on Mansfield Road, where it's said that he began stalking 24-year-old Julie Grissom after seeing her through the restaurant's drive-thru window. It's then thought that Rolling followed Grissom to her family's home where he raped and killed her, and then killed the remainder of her family once they arrived to discover him in the home.

It's about time this animal is put down, and tonight should finally be the night.

An interesting twist in the Danny Rolling execution. Apparently before his execution, Rolling passed a note to the minister regarding the Shreveport murders of the Grissom family. A press conference will be held at 10:00 am tomorrow, at which time the Shreveport Police Department will hold a press conference about the note.

I suppose "crime" would be the most fitting topic for this story...

My wife and I were down at the Boardwalk this afternoon when we decided to go to Regal and see the movie The Prestige (great movie, by the way!!) The movie started at 4:10 pm so we went on in around 3:45 when we bought the tickets. Apparently while we were inside watching the movie, a man was jumping off the Texas Street Bridge, which as you probably know, runs right next to the theater. We had no idea about this, but when we left the Boardwalk we were wondering why there were so many Bossier police cars around that area. The body has yet to be recovered. :(

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...NGNEWS/61028004

• 4 weeks later...

And the Shreveport Police Department Armed Robbery Task Force nabs one. :) I love it when the good guys get their man.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...NGNEWS/61121005

Obviously armed robberies are WAY up right now, the typical holiday season trend throughout Shreveport and Bossier. Bossier rarely has robberies, and I'd venture to guess that 90% of what they do have occurs during this time of year. But like Shreveport, Bossier City has an Armed Robbery Task Force who hides out in convenience stores throughout the city. And with Bossier City being much smaller than Shreveport, and having more police officers than Shreveport for their population, it increases a robber's odds of being caught in the act.

I love it! :D

• 1 year later...

So I've read in The Times where yet another of my friends from my high school days has been gunned down like a dog. I didn't expect it to bother me, but I actually lost it for a while after I read the story. It finally hit me that I'm losing my old friends left and right to prison and the cemetary. I am literally one of only a handful of my friends I grew up with in Swan Lake who has not gone this direction. In almost every single case it's because the families of these people had moved from Swan Lake to Cedar Grove for work or whatever reason. Swan Lake wasn't the easiest neighborhood to grow up in, but it's not Cedar Grove. That place (and the streets of Shreveport in general) really has a way of bringing out the worst in people. And then they bring it back across the river to Bossier when they get homesick and feel the need to move back.

Antwone Hall and his brother, Anthony, were really good kids (a little wild, but good nonetheless.) And their mother tried so hard... but she lost the economic battle and had to move to an even lower income area of Shreveport to survive.

And now Antwone Hall is yet another statistic... and another of my old friends lost forever.

I'm sorry to use this thread to vent, guys, but it's been bothering me ever since I discovered who it was that was killed. It DOES hit home when it's someone you know. Though I haven't seen him in a few years and I've seen him in the paper lately in a lot of trouble, he will always be remembered as a good guy to me.

So I've read in The Times where yet another of my friends from my high school days has been gunned down like a dog. I didn't expect it to bother me, but I actually lost it for a while after I read the story. It finally hit me that I'm losing my old friends left and right to prison and the cemetary. I am literally one of only a handful of my friends I grew up with in Swan Lake who has not gone this direction. In almost every single case it's because the families of these people had moved from Swan Lake to Cedar Grove for work or whatever reason. Swan Lake wasn't the easiest neighborhood to grow up in, but it's not Cedar Grove. That place (and the streets of Shreveport in general) really has a way of bringing out the worst in people. And then they bring it back across the river to Bossier when they get homesick and feel the need to move back.

Antwone Hall and his brother, Anthony, were really good kids (a little wild, but good nonetheless.) And their mother tried so hard... but she lost the economic battle and had to move to an even lower income area of Shreveport to survive.

And now Antwone Hall is yet another statistic... and another of my old friends lost forever.

I'm sorry to use this thread to vent, guys, but it's been bothering me ever since I discovered who it was that was killed. It DOES hit home when it's someone you know. Though I haven't seen him in a few years and I've seen him in the paper lately in a lot of trouble, he will always be remembered as a good guy to me.

• 7 months later...

Archived