Downtown Grocery Store

lstmk

I know this has been brought up in the past but I began to think more about this when thinking of the number of condos going up either downtown, or in the immediate vicinity (Icon, Union Square).

What are the current grocery shopping options for people living in this area? I know there is a traditional full grocery store at Michigan and Fuller, and also on Leonard near Alpine.

Is there anything closer to downtown than these? I must admit I don't know the west side well so there may be something tucked away there I haven't seen. How about in the heartside area?

I think the ideal location downtown would be at the SW corner of Fulton/Market. This would be sure to get heavy traffic from GVSU and Bridgewater, plus any new development down the waterfront.

Please share your thoughts about what an ideal loaction would be.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The plans for River House also include a "convenience store" in the lobby or club level (?) :whistling:

What would really be ideal is an Urban Meijer or Urban Super Target near downtown. I think something like that would also fuel growth as well if done correctly (ie vertical, hidden parking, 0 setbacks). :thumbsup: I know we've talked about that before, but can't reiterate enough, IMO.

The plans for River House also include a "convenience store" in the lobby or club level (?) :whistling:

What would really be ideal is an Urban Meijer or Urban Super Target near downtown. I think something like that would also fuel growth as well if done correctly (ie vertical, hidden parking, 0 setbacks). :thumbsup: I know we've talked about that before, but can't reiterate enough, IMO.

I just wrote a note in response to the Chelsea market under Founders Brewery. I really would hate to see another big box store. Personally I do not want to do my grocery shopping at Target or Meijers. I would prefer an option like a Chelsea market where I can go to the independent butcher, seafood purveyor, bakery, spice shop, etc all under one roof. I would shop there, tourist would visit and restaurants would buy too. IMO

Forgive my ingnorance, but what would the difference be between an Urban Meijer as opposed to a traditional one?

I think the idea would be minimal set back and not having the huge parking lot of your typical meijer. A meijer that would fit in on Division downtown or soemthing like that.

Target is on an aggressive plan to implement urban Target stores around the country:

http://www.newurbannews.com/TargetInsideOct05.html

As the article states, they can get the same square footage as a regular store, on a much smaller lot (2 - 3 acres vs. 10 - 12 acres)

TargetInsideOct05.jpg

I just wrote a note in response to the Chelsea market under Founders Brewery. I really would hate to see another big box store. Personally I do not want to do my grocery shopping at Target or Meijers. I would prefer an option like a Chelsea market where I can go to the independent butcher, seafood purveyor, bakery, spice shop, etc all under one roof. I would shop there, tourist would visit and restaurants would buy too. IMO

I can understand that for some people, but many of the residents within the city probably can't afford Chelsea Market for weekly groceries. Especially college students and those at the lower end of the financial spectrum. I think there's room for both options.

Economically, I can see an urban Meijer or Target before a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, IMO.

Target is on an aggressive plan to implement urban Target stores around the country:

As the article states, they can get the same square footage as a regular store, on a much smaller lot (2 - 3 acres vs. 10 - 12 acres)

TargetInsideOct05.jpg

I can understand that for some people, but many of the residents within the city probably can't afford Chelsea Market for weekly groceries. Especially college students and those at the lower end of the financial spectrum. I think there's room for both options.

Economically, I can see an urban Meijer or Target before a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, IMO.

I cant see meijer creating an urban format anytime soon, but I would not be surprised to see an urban Target on the west side, near the college campus.

edit: maybe even that decrepid "cell phone building" thats along 131 would be a good spot to put it too.

I second that motion! An authentic "market" would be awesome. I lived in Toronto for a couple years when I was young and would always go to St. Lawrence Market with my family. It's amazing what kinds of foods you can find in a city as diverse as TO. I also lived in DC for a while last year, and one of my favorite spots was Eastern Market.

Unfortunately, GR isn't ready to sustain that type of market, as awesome as it would be. That being said, we've got a gem of a farmer's market!! Only a couple more weeks til they open.

Although, I think an urban Meijer store could be awesome, and would really be a progressive move on their part to maintain their history of a commitment to West Michigan. Do I see that happening? Of course not.

I cant see meijer creating an urban format anytime soon, but I would not be surprised to see an urban Target on the west side, near the college campus.

I think its all a matter of cost. Right now I these companies can still buy big chunks of land in the 'burbs to build their monster stores. Once we can get a large mass of people living downtown, we might see a scaled-down urban Meijer or Target or whatever.

There is also the Duthler grocery store on Bridge near Stocking.

TargetInsideOct05.jpg

Do the urban Targets have a full complement of groceries? My understanding only the Super Targets, there is one in Indiana I think are like Meijers. I understand the cost issue however the produce was less expensive at Chelsea Market then what I pay in Metro Detroit. I think the fact that they buy in such huge quanities and also cater to the restaurants they can keep cost down. It would have to be a colaborative effort and include local farmers etc.

Do the urban Targets have a full complement of groceries? My understanding only the Super Targets, there is one in Indiana I think are like Meijers. I understand the cost issue however the produce was less expensive at Chelsea Market then what I pay in Metro Detroit. I think the fact that they buy in such huge quanities and also cater to the restaurants they can keep cost down. It would have to be a colaborative effort and include local farmers etc.

Yes, just the Super Targets have full grocery sections. It would be interesting to have both offerings, that's for sure.

It also looks like Walmart is also beginning to delve into the urban market.

Walmart to Enter Urban Markets

Wallstreet is forcing Big Box to look for more growth and people are moving back to the core, so it is a natural evolution for them to follow. Here a couple photos of big box in urban markets.

Thanks for the links bzorch. I just read that article yesterday too. Unfortunately you won't find a lot of fans of WalMart in these parts. :sick:

Archived