New Orleanians unite....Let's cut the grass!

alon504

This is a combination announcement to New Orleanians and likely, an interesting tidbit to those that don't really have a grasp on life down here. As many know, the City of New Orleans has been devastated by Katrina and so has the city's budget. Businesses have been down for some time and quite a few in the city proper have not reopened, property taxes (well, need I say more), tourism was non-existent until January and it's just starting to get back to respectable levels, and the city has spent almost all of it's money on everything imaginable in repairing our broken city and is still awaiting reimbursment from FEMA. Hence, we have a landscaping and grass cutting issue approaching. We need more volunteers to cut the medians in the city and we are looking for individuals to volunteer to cut grass in their respective blocks. You'll need permission to plant trees and shrubbery, but, basic landscaping and grass-cutting is acceptable. Presently we have over 18,000 individuals in the city that are working in their respective blocks with cutting grass and picking up trash. The schedule of grass cutting by our city has been reduced to once every 6 to 8 weeks, which is an outrage, but, we really have no control over this matter, so we are going to have to take matters into our own hands and take care of our city this Summer. In the city's defense, a majority of the landscaping equipment was ruined in the flood, and the city's greenhouse has been devastated. We still need many more individuals to volunteer to cut grass on their neutral grounds, sidewalks, and neighborhood parks and remove litter and leftover debris from Katrina. Before you grab a lawnmower and just cut the grass, contact this organization and they will pair you with a good time to participate, as many of your neighbors are involved in keeping our city as beautiful as possible during this difficult time... http://www.parkwaypartners.com/

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for posting this, Sean!

I'm really glad to see so many people getting involved in volunteer work around the city. I've been part of 3 different volunteer cleanup crews, and I'm definately going to look to help this volunteer project as well! :thumbsup:

we are looking for individuals to volunteer to cut grass in their respective blocks.http://www.parkwaypartners.com/

I have a question. I live in Algiers... a house with my own front and back yard. But, I'd like to cut a neutral ground or two. Does it have to be in your block or neighborhood? I'd like to sign up and cut grass wherever. Any details?

Archived