Edgehill Village progress

smeagolsfree

There was a write up about the old White Way Cleaners site, Edgehill Village in the Tennessean yesterday. If you have not been over to this area, I highly recommend that you see what is being done here. This development could be the jump start this neighborhood needs. House prices are on the rise there and many renovations are going on. This is only 1 block off music row but it has so much potential.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...4/1197/COUNTY01

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had never even heard of this area, even though I live barely a mile up the street. After reading the article this morning I decided to drive by and take a look....I was honestly astounded. I had no idea this little village was developing right down the street. The buildings look great and once all the construction is finished, this could turn into an amazing hidden away shopping area. Anybody have an idea what stores are going in down there?

I had never even heard of this area, even though I live barely a mile up the street. After reading the article this morning I decided to drive by and take a look....I was honestly astounded. I had no idea this little village was developing right down the street. The buildings look great and once all the construction is finished, this could turn into an amazing hidden away shopping area. Anybody have an idea what stores are going in down there?

I had a brochure on this property and have misplaced it, but from what I remember there are going to be a number of spaces for retail and restaurants on the lower levels and a number of loft apartments upstairs. William has taken a tour of this property and can probably give a little more insight.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been to the Edgehill Village. I can't wait to see the loft apartments when they are done. The Edgehill Studios Cafe is cool. I didn't realize they had some good music stuff going on at night. I was in there on a Friday night a couple of weeks ago and there was some good music and the atmosphere reminded me of being at home with some of my friends...very intimate. I thought is was just a coffee shop, but they had beer there. (I'm trading in my Starbucks punch card!!)

This looks like a really cool development. I just wish it wasn't a block away from tons of low income housing.

True, but at least it's a huge, huge improvement to the neighborhood as a whole. It may be a while, but I bet that public housing you refer to will eventually be replaced.

True, but at least it's a huge, huge improvement to the neighborhood as a whole. It may be a while, but I bet that public housing you refer to will eventually be replaced.

Here in Chicago, the city encouraged developers to put up a brand new grocery store and shopping center in the midst of the Cabrini Green housing development, which truthfully was never more than a few blocks from the most expensive real estate in the city anyway. One bonus of this cooperation was that as the housing project is being torn down and replaced with parks and mixed-income housing (low income and market rate in the same buildings or developments), the shopping center has created jobs for some of the low-income residents and has helped some of them to get job training and out of the poverty cycle. So these situations can definitely be win-win and can ease a transition that otherwise could be compounded by a more swift change.

This looks like a really cool development. I just wish it wasn't a block away from tons of low income housing.

One of the major minuses of government owned housing is its lack of change. Edgehill Village was an industrial dry cleaner, but when it made more sense for it to be retail, the market made the change. With public housing, there is no responsiveness to what makes sense for an area. MDHA gets its money from HUD. It doesn't pay attention to the value of the land, the way a private owner would. That is why ghetto areas sometimes get better, but usually not near public housing. (Think of any city in America. The neighborhood usually gets worse as you get closer to the public housing.)

I think that there are many good people working at MDHA, and perhaps HOPE VI projects will work out better. But government run developments are almost always less responsive than private developments to what makes sense for an area. This lack of responsiveness is a huge hidden cost of government housing.

• 10 months later...

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl...1/ENTERTAINMENT

Here is an update on the development. The mexican restaurant on the corner that seems like it will be an anchor tenant has delayed their opening date, but I'm excited to have a margarita on their porch when they finally start. There are some clothing botiques and a barber shop open already, but I think they need they really need the restaurant so it looks lively in the evening. Any other thoughts on retail that would be nice to have?

Archived