Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cloudship

Mass Health Care REquirements

1 post in this topic

It looks like Mass is passing a law that requires everyone to have health insurance. Note that this is not a case of everyone getting health insurance, rather that it REQUIRES everyone to have it.

So what is you opinion if this - is it a good thing, a bad thing, what?

I for one am terribly distraught over it. If you make less than the poverty level (it amounts to about $10,000 for a single person) you can get the state plan for free. It then gets prorated up to about $30,000, at which point there is no more assistance. The figures they are expecting are about $350 a month. So if you make $20,000 a year, you will probably be looking at $150 or so a month. Having gone through more than once of being semi-jobless, this scares me to death. There is no way I could ever have afforded that when I was making that kind of money. That is a HUGE chunk of change - even making that 300% mark, my take home every two weeks is less than three times the monthly rate. And out of that comes rent, car, insurance, food, all the other bills, and gas.

I just can't fathom how the house and senate even approved this, let alone woted so overwhelmingly for it. It reeks of a scam of big insurance companies trying to force people to buy into their plans. It hurts people - especially those who make little money, and it makes it even harder for people to live in this state.