Baton Rouge Events

byrde

• 2 weeks later...

Good news in 225 magazine's January edition.

An all day Blues Festival is returning to Blues Week this year. Also, a rock-n-roll festival being organized for this coming year.

Quotes from the article.

What's the idea behind a rock 'n' roll festival?

Again, there has been some significant rock 'n' roll legends coming out of this town, and still are, but unfortunately a lot of them move away. There's always talk about Baton Rouge being one of the great cities in America, and I've always thought it was one of those great cities, and I hope we progress accordingly, get rid of the blue laws so we can attract more conventions. Our venues are developing, and we are seeing more artists routed through here, but I know a lot of great bands in town that do not have a showcase for their work. I think a rock 'n' roll festival will fill that gap.

For a while, the blues scene seemed to coast for a while but just in the past year, the interest in the blues seems to be growing, with Blues Week growing in scale, and more artists coming through town.

Baton Rouge Blues Week is entering its 13th year, and this is going to be the year we'll mark the return of the Baton Rouge Blues Festival. There will be an actual, all-day outdoor festival, Saturday, April 26, in the park between the River Center and the Old State Capitol-thanks to Mayor Kip Holden, who has been a great supporter, ally and fan of music, especially the blues, and the city which is joining up with the Blues Foundation and the Blues Society to produce the event. It's going to be all Louisiana blues artists, predominantly Baton Rouge blues artists, and we are using the catchphrase "In the middle of the most musical 125 miles on earth." We have JazzFest in New Orleans that weekend, Festival International in Lafayette, and now the blues in Baton Rouge. No place on earth will have that much world-renown indigenous music going on.

We've booked Phil Guy, Luther Kent, Tab Benoit, Larry Garner, Chris Thomas King; we're working on the Neals. We are hoping to get Queen Ida. She was the first zydeco artist 25 years ago to win a Grammy and now this year is the first where there is a Grammy category. I'm really looking forward to getting the Blues Festival back. When it started back in 1980 and ran until 1994, it was one of the oldest blues festivals in the country, and some of our predecessors were very short-sighted in letting that slip off our agenda. Since that time, there are 180 blues festivals that have cropped up, and you see that Des Moines, Iowa, and Syracuse, N.Y. having blues festivals.

http://www.225batonrouge.com/news/2007/dec...to-state-blues/

Lots of people downtown today taking advantage of "Free First Sunday." The Louisiana state museum and the LASM both have free admission for the first Sunday of the month starting today. It was good to see all the people downtown. Parking in front of both the state museum and the LASM was hard to find. People like free, lol.

Hopefully free admission will be made full time. Jay Dardenne did it with the museums under his control, unfortunately these two are not. I believe these are under the Dept of Tourism which is under Mitch Landrieu.

I really think it would be good for the downtown businesses and hopefully something can be worked out.

A lot of people were taking pictures downtown today. Any of you UP'ers on 3rd St. taking a picture of the Coca-Cola sign?

National Championship Celebration Set for Jan. 19 at 2:30 p.m.

(01/15/2008) BY www.LSUsports.net

BATON ROUGE -- The LSU football team will participate in a celebration of its 2007 college football national championship on Saturday, January 19, in Tiger Stadium beginning at 2:30 p.m. Admission is free and gates will open at 1 p.m.

The National Championship Celebration at Tiger Stadium will include the presentation of championship and individual trophies to the LSU football team, video highlights of the football season, performances by the Tiger Marching Band and comments from University officials, head coach Les Miles and Tiger players.

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?...;DB_OEM_ID=5200

The last time LSU (and Southern) won the BCS NC, the City threw a nice Parade in their honor. there was a nice turnout and festivities in fron tof the Capitol. Has anyone heard if there is one planned this year, or is this the only one?

i wish we can do both...the event in the stadium i will attend....but of i had to choose 1 or the other...id rather the parade downtown....LSU's campus gets enough attention reguardless ...so it wouldn't hurt them....Downtown needs events and Entertainment to Jump that area of the city off...and a parade would be 1 step closer...alot of people don't even know the new pizza plaze on 3rd st. and florida st's open yet.....the more events in a area...the more it grows

Don't know if I'll make it to the LSU Celebration. I thought it would have been cool if they were to have a parade like they did after the last title. A celebration this year downtown at 4:00 and then move right into the Krewe of Jupiter Parade at 6:00pm would have been nice.

This link has all of the BR Parades listed and times.

2008 Mardi Gras Mambo

• 1 month later...

Seems to me that having a concert would totally tear-up the football field??

lol, they dont care, they will just resod it like the do the Parade Grounds after a huge event. Thats why we pay tuition. Also, did you read in the advocate that the new modest landscapeing infront of the old law building cost $500,000............

They resod most of Tiger stadium almost every season. When something is on national TV that much, they have to keep it looking nice.

If the weather is nice, there won't be any damage anyways...even if it is, they designed it to be turtle back style drainage, so nothing to worry about.

Edited by cajun

• 3 weeks later...

April is shaping up to bring quite a few people to Downtown BR.

Live after five actually starts today.

http://liveafterfiveonline.com/main/

The AKA's are having a regional conference in BR April 10-13.

http://www.aka-southcentralregion.com/regconf2008.html

Earth Day April 20

http://earthdaybr.org/

The Blues Fest is coming back to town on April 26

http://www.batonrougebluesfestival.org

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...