Baton Rouge Events

byrde

• 1 month later...

Little late on this twice a year event; going on right now. My Mom is a professional artist and has art-work at this. I am really not the artsy type; but think it's cool to see Mid-city re-emergence as BR's Art & Design District; a term refered to usually in larger cities.

White Light Night

Last year

Edited by richyb83

Little late on this twice a year event; going on right now. My Mom is a professional artist and has art-work at this. I am really not the artsy type; but think it's cool to see Mid-city re-emergence as BR's Art & Design District; a term refered to usually in larger cities.

White Light Night

Last year

Seems like this gets nicer every year!

2008 Downtown Festival of Lights

Friday, December 5th

River Center Plaza

Join us under downtown's historic oaks to commemorate Baton Rouge's oldest holiday tradition. Transforming the winter sky into a wonderland, the Mayor will light North Boulevard with halt a miilion sparkling white lights. Experience the magic beneath the official City's 35-foot Christmas Tree where Third Street meets North Boulevard. Ice skate, visit the Santa's Gift Shoppe, or listen to holiday music during an evening of performance, visual, and culinary arts. Look below for a list of events and celebrate the season during an evening fi!led with the Christmas spirit! Free parking in the River Center garages for this special evening!!!

phtfestoflightsee1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Figured this was worth a mention...I'm not an artsy dude, my mom is a part of all of this...they do close a portion of the street for this big event

Laurel Street Lollapalooza

The Laurel Street Lollapalooza is the best street party in town that celebrates the arts in Baton Rouge with lively bands and entertainment, a first-class silent auction....

http://www.artsbr.org/

Thanks for the head's up nquint1 :thumbsup: I'll be at work; don't know if I'll be able to listen/call or not? It sure should be interesting to hear what he says about RiverPlace! And about the smaller project near the Capitol in Spanish Town.

If you, or anybody else here gets the chance to listen to the show; please give us an update!

Edited by richyb83

• 3 months later...

^What kind of volunteering do they need??

I have been slacking on ths thread....so much has been going on I can't remember everything! Along with Fest For All, there was Blue's Fest; Earth Day(south's largest); Red Stick Animation Festival; LiveAfter Five on Friday's(Spring Series)...anymore I'm missing?? + all the surrounding area festivals!

^What kind of volunteering do they need??

I'm not sure exactly sure what the volunteers do. I'll be working in the children's village, and I've been told not to expect any help because they're so short-staffed. I can tell you the volunteers would've watched the tent while I went to the bathroom. Now I guess I have to wear Depends :dunno:

• 2 weeks later...

North Boulevard Town Square:

Public Open House

When: Thursday, May 28, 2009

Where: Old State Capitol

Time: 5:30 - 7:30 p.m.

Design Team: BROWN + DANOS landdesign / Joseph Furr Design Studio Joint Venture

The design team will present a PowerPoint presentation then transition into an open house forum; where the team will be available to address individual feedback.

I'll definitely be there to see what the design looks like.

• 2 months later...

The annual Pennington-Louisiana State Hot Air Balloon Championship will kick off at 6:30 a.m. Friday on the field behind the Pennington Biomedical Research Center on Kenilworth Parkway. Three days of high-flying fun will ensue, with daily balloon races, refreshments and live music. Come early to get the best view of the balloons in flight, or Friday and Saturday evening to watch both balloons and fireworks light up the night sky. Performances by bands like the Solar Heat and parachute demonstrations by the U.S. Army will make for a thrilling family weekend. The event is free to the public.

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/

ballonchampion801.gif

• 1 year later...

BIG GAME TODAY! #10th ranked LSU vs #6 Alabama at 2:30! Just wondering how sucessful the shuttle service is from downtown to Tiger Stadium?? Are a lot of people using this??

Touchdown Express

The Capital Area Transit System (CATS) will continue its Touchdown Express Shuttle service from Downtown to LSU Home Football Games on Saturday, November 6. The shuttle will provide continuous service, beginning four hours prior to game kickoff, and ending one hour after the game ends. Pick-up is at Galvez Plaza (on the corner of Third Street and North Boulevard.) Kick-off for this week's game against Alabama is 2:30PM. The shuttle service is only $1.75 each way ($3.50 round trip) and can be purchased at the Hilton Capitol Center, Belle of Baton Rouge Hotel, and Galvez Plaza starting at the first pick-up time.

lsushuttle.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

:D

A few things seemed incomplete, not sure where the 6 tons of snow was, but it wasn't a free for all like I pictured, very controlled & tiny area, maybe a few thousand lbs., but no tons; my son refused to join. The tree lighting was ok, although the crowed was sardine packed, not much excitement there. The fireworks were the highlight for me, my son was highly embarrassed, by my unnecessary yells, but that's how I get. I mean the fireworks were perfect, bright and low enough to enjoy. After that the kidos were ready to go ice skating, I checked in with the snow ice cream stand, there was none to be found.

The ice skating rink was a total nightmare, it wasn't real ice, and it was the size way too small. I think it was plastic and water. After this I was done for the night, all I wanted was food and a bathroom. We ventured over to the OSC, I've never seen that place so full of energy and life, kids were everywhere, and parents who seemed uninterested, over all, and it provided a bathroom.

I could not find any beer vendors, had to go to Lucy's who almost refused me a to go cup, we had to find a place to dump our cup of water that was given to us free along with our beers. I enjoyed the whole night out, so did the kids, over all this is getting bigger every year, but we still have some work to do.

Edited by hagetaka

• 7 months later...