Baton Rouge Events

byrde

Per the Advocate:

Hot air balloon festival moving from Pennington fields. They are looking at possibly moving it to Lamar Dixon in Gonzales. That sucks. Used to be a good family event. I don't see many BR people traveling to Gonzales for it though.

That really sucks. I don't see many attending it in Gonzales.

Parking aside, Pennington was a great location for it.

Wow I don't remember this, but at least those buildings looked like they had some height on them compared to the smaller ones now. I would have kept those just because they were taller :dontknow:

Street level they are much more impressive. I don't think you could see them anyway, maybe coming down I-110 you could.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Per the Advocate:

Hot air balloon festival moving from Pennington fields. They are looking at possibly moving it to Lamar Dixon in Gonzales. That sucks. Used to be a good family event. I don't see many BR people traveling to Gonzales for it though.

Anyone heard any updates on where the ballon festival will be this year?

• 2 weeks later...

What a mess.

Your think BREC would grab some of the land south of LSU along river road and create some type of festival ground. Wishful thinking though.

I have been wishing for that for years. Seems like a natural for the area where they are dismantling the sewer plant on River Road or somewhere on the Port Allen levee side....with a floating stage.

Why not at the fairgrounds?

1) The rear of the fairgrounds has a body of water so it cant host very big events. Which is why the balloon festival didn't even consider it.

2) A developer has been trying to acquire that piece of land. I don't expect it to be under BREC's control in the future, but BREC/Parish won't give it up until they can replace it with another (funding reasons).

Edited by itsjustme2

1) The rear of the fairgrounds has a body of water so it cant host very big events. Which is why the balloon festival didn't even consider it.

2) A developer has been trying to acquire that piece of land. I don't expect it to be under BREC's control in the future, but BREC/Parish won't give it up until they can replace it with another (funding reasons).

Bayou Manchac is hardly a problem. It backs up to Santa Maria however. The fairgrounds are larger than Perkins Rd park from Google maps, also Olympia stadium, the skatepark, and the velodrome its much bigger.

Maybe they want to solidify a permanet home for it again, and if developers are looking at buying up the land they don't want to host it there. If people would drive to southern EBR, why not northern Ascension, I guess.

Lamar Dixon should have been at the area you suggested in the first place.

I guess Independnce Park is too congested.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

redstick_iaf.jpg imgPolaRt.gifimgPolaFtr.gifimgSpacer.gif

Red Stick International Animation Festival

The Red Stick International Animation Festival, now in its 7th year, is an exciting community event that converges the worlds of technology, art, entertainment and exploration. The movement toward convergence highlights the new set of technical skills that artists employ, and the artistic vision that scientists are embracing. The worlds of the artist and scientist are folding in on one another, and Baton Rouge is at a unique moment in time to embrace this sea of change, further it, and make it our own. Click below to register.

info_green.jpg

100 Lafayette Street

Friday, June 8 - Sunday, June 10

• 2 weeks later...

redstick_iaf.jpg imgPolaRt.gifimgPolaFtr.gifimgSpacer.gif

Red Stick International Animation Festival

The Red Stick International Animation Festival, now in its 7th year, is an exciting community event that converges the worlds of technology, art, entertainment and exploration. The movement toward convergence highlights the new set of technical skills that artists employ, and the artistic vision that scientists are embracing. The worlds of the artist and scientist are folding in on one another, and Baton Rouge is at a unique moment in time to embrace this sea of change, further it, and make it our own. Click below to register.

info_green.jpg

100 Lafayette Street

Friday, June 8 - Sunday, June 10

A friend of mine who is big into film (works at Celtic) attends this every year.

I was told that Over the Hedge showed there before it went to the theaters.

It's worth checking out if you can get into the showings. Did anyone go this year?

Edited by cajun

• 3 months later...

^I went to go see Brave, it was pretty entertaining but I thought some parts where a little inappropriate for a family movie.

I don't really understand why they would be doing promotional shooting here, but I hope they have an audition here some day, I really want to meet Mariah Carey. :D

News alert: 'American Idol' filming downtown

Lafayette and Convention Streets downtown are reopened this evening, after being closed temporarily this afternoon for the shooting of an American Idol promotional video. Officials at the Hotel Indigo, where the filming was based, confirm crews from the popular primetime talent competition are in Baton Rouge and shooting promotional video, though not auditions. Spotted at the hotel during the filming this afternoon were Idol host Ryan Seacrest and new judge, Keith Urban. No word on when the filming will wrap up or what other locations may be involved.

Edited by dan326

Idol in Baton Rouge.....wow. I guess we can see locals making fools of themselves too!

For some reason when I see Ryan Seacrest on TV, I just have the urge to punch him in the face.

No idea why. Does that happen to anyone else?

Edited by cajun
  • Like 2

They had a casting call for extras on WAFB Thursday/Friday, if I had known about it I would have applied! :( Oh well, I guess it wasn't meant to be...

'Idol' arrives in Baton Rouge

After multiple celebrity sightings Thursday and Kevin Kimball of TJ Ribs posting to Facebook that his restaurant made a late-night delivery to Mariah Carey—the pop star ordered fried green tomatoes, red beans and baby back ribs—225 confirms that American Idol is in Baton Rouge shooting promotional videos with Three (One) O, a production company, as well as conducting official auditions that could end up airing as part of Season 12 of the hit Fox series. Carey has been seen in downtown Baton Rouge, as have new judges Nicki Minaj and Keith Urban. Longtime judge Randy Jackson, a Baton Rouge native, is also here, as well as host Ryan Seacrest, who was spotted filming a promo Thursday near Hotel Indigo. "They just had a big to-go order that they picked up today too," Kimball says of the crew. "They hit my chicken wings pretty hard." Security is tight, says 225's source, who is close to the shoot but requested anonymity. The schedule is in flux, and the show's arrival has been described as a "last-minute" decision, but Idol is expected to wrap its Baton Rouge shooting this evening or, at the latest, Saturday. "They couldn't say enough about how well they were treated in Baton Rouge," Kimball says of Carey and her entourage.

• 4 weeks later...

F12CollegeGameday.jpg

Copyright 2012, Louisiana State University. The team names, logos and uniform designs are registered trademarks of the teams indicated.No logos, photographs or graphics on this site may be reproduced without written permission. All rights reserved.

LSU Athletic Ticket Office, Athletic Administration Building, Baton Rouge, LA 70803