I wonder....what do you think Memphis will be like 100 years from now in 2106? (not 3006)

soverbey

What do you think Memphis will be like 100 years from now in 3006?

Population?

Density?

How far do you think the Metro will have spread?

How will Jackson, TN; Tupelo; Jonesboro; Dyersburg factor into the equation?

And what do you think our light rail transit system will be like?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well we do know that Mud Island will be WAY downstream as the earthquake we keep expecting should have happened. I foresee a lot of older buildings in downtown going away too. Unfortunately no one will be able to save the Sterrick Bldg because of politics and the Peabody may have crumbled some in the quake too.

On the flipside of what we do not have is what we will have by then:

Light Rail throughout the entire city

New towers in East Memphis, Downtown and Germantown that are as architectually pleasing as the old ones we lost.

and a reversal of the sprawl we are currently in. Wolfchase will be a long gone mistake as will Hickry Ridge.

Oak Court will have been imploded and rebuilt complete with a new Goldsmith's - not a Macy's because Federated will be out of business and people/consumers will understand that having your own unique places is MUCH better than having some national chain. We will still have wal-mart but it will be a much smaller version - mostly a delivery service by that time.

Just some stuff I thought of - lol

Well we do know that Mud Island will be WAY downstream as the earthquake we keep expecting should have happened. I foresee a lot of older buildings in downtown going away too. Unfortunately no one will be able to save the Sterrick Bldg because of politics and the Peabody may have crumbled some in the quake too.

On the flipside of what we do not have is what we will have by then:

Light Rail throughout the entire city

New towers in East Memphis, Downtown and Germantown that are as architectually pleasing as the old ones we lost.

and a reversal of the sprawl we are currently in. Wolfchase will be a long gone mistake as will Hickry Ridge.

Oak Court will have been imploded and rebuilt complete with a new Goldsmith's - not a Macy's because Federated will be out of business and people/consumers will understand that having your own unique places is MUCH better than having some national chain. We will still have wal-mart but it will be a much smaller version - mostly a delivery service by that time.

Just some stuff I thought of - lol

1000 years holy cow... If the United States remains stable in the next 1000 years. which no governmant has ever remained that stable I assume Memphis will be the equivalent of mid size city of that time. guessing around 10-15 million people.

you'll see lots of the old buildings(tall buildgins) gone. however new Material engineering and Civil engineering would make the buildings of that era more resistant to earthqaukes.

I dont hink we can see any of the same businuess's in a thousand years, and Memphis might even have a different name by then. 1000 years is a long time(duh). and if we were capable of transporting through time it would be doubtful if we could see any similarties between the two cities aside from the pyramid will still be there as an ancient monument, and Mr Herington XVI will have been mayor for a long time ;)

I'm not sure if you meant 1000 years or 100.

100 years: I think we might have that earthquake :( We are overdue. But the city will rebuild because theres too much infastructure for it not too. Tunica will be tourist destinations like Orlando or Vegas and Oxford will be in our MSA and a population of 3 million in Shelby County (4,000 people/square mile). City and County merge, monorail, light rail, and regional high speed rail to Little Rock and Jackson, TN. A subway system being studied for East Memphis and highway tunnels planned under Overton Park and other parts of town.

1000 years: If Memphis still exists....I have no idea.

1000 years holy cow... If the United States remains stable in the next 1000 years. which no governmant has ever remained that stable I assume Memphis will be the equivalent of mid size city of that time. guessing around 10-15 million people.

you'll see lots of the old buildings(tall buildgins) gone. however new Material engineering and Civil engineering would make the buildings of that era more resistant to earthqaukes.

I dont hink we can see any of the same businuess's in a thousand years, and Memphis might even have a different name by then. 1000 years is a long time(duh). and if we were capable of transporting through time it would be doubtful if we could see any similarties between the two cities aside from the pyramid will still be there as an ancient monument, and Mr Herington XVI will have been mayor for a long time ;)

YEAH SORRY MY BAD....I MEANT IN 2106.....I DOUBT THE US WILL BE HERE IN 3006!

A subway system being studied for East Memphis and highway tunnels planned under Overton Park and other parts of town.

They'll still be studying the light rail route to the airport.

In 100 years Memphis and Jackson will probably be closer together, and maybe be a shared MSA do to commuting patterns of Jackson metro residents into Memphis's outer metro area for work, or possible vise versa. I imagine the relationship by then might be comparable to that between Murfreesboro and Nashville today.There will still be alot of land in between the two though.

Dyersburg, well it will still be outside of the Memphis metro, but hey in 100 years it might be its own metro, it would only have to gain roughly 34K, an attainable goal in 100 years for a small city like Dyersburg.

Wow. 100 years is a long time out. Consider that in 1906, you could have never predicted FedEx because the airplane was only 3 years old. It would have been almost impossible to predict what impact the automobile would have on the city's design and growth patterns. And could anyone have foreseen the city's eventual demographic makeup?

With that in mind, I will give it a stab. Hope you enjoy!

*There will have been a major earthquake that required the city to be substantially rebuilt. Most of downtown was destroyed, except for a few larger buildings that were preserved for historical purposes. The "Marked Tree Earthquake of 20??" will be considered a major, and positive, turning point in the city's history...much like the Chicago Fire of 1871 or the San Francisco Earthquake of 1906.

*Memphis and Shelby County governments will have effectively merged because everything in Shelby County will be urbanized and incorporated. All of DeSoto, Tate, and Tipton Counties will be urbanized.

*More than 50% of Fayette, Crittenden, Panola and Marshall Counties will be developed. Northern Tunica County will be a densely-developed entertainment and resort area, and eastern Crittenden County will be heavily industrialized. However, large segments of Tunica and Crittenden Counties will be set aside as agricultural areas by law, to prevent development from completely consuming some of the world's most fertile soils. Significant suburban development will have reached southern Mississippi County, AR and Haywood County, TN.

*The old interstate highway corridors (40, 55, 69, 22, 240, 269) still exist, but as arteries for automated electric-powered travel pods of varying sizes and purposes (individual travel, group travel, lower-priority frieght).

*The Memphis Airport is mostly closed and redeveloped for various industrial purposes. One runway was kept in service, mainly for recreational or military use. Commercial aviation effectively ceased to exist as all inter-city and international passenger travel transitioned to high-speed travel pods on express pathways. High-priority parcel and freight shipments are now satisfied through digital replication...a process pioneered by FedEx.

*Major "historic" landmarks still standing in 2016 will include: AutoZone Park, Peabody Hotel, DeSoto Bridge, Clark Tower, Commerce Square Tower, Brooks Museum of Art, Pink Palace and one of the city's most cherished historical treasures, the Cordova Wal-Mart.

*Demographically, the metro area is about 40% African-American, 30% Hispanic, 25% White and 5% other. While integration is common, the "old city" areas (Shelby County) are more heavily white, the Tennessee and Mississippi suburbs more heavily black, and the Arkansas communities more Hispanic. Black communities vote heavily Republican (a trend that originates in 2012 with the election of the first African-American President), Hispanic areas go Democrat, and the white vote is usually split 50/50, with socially conservative voters going Republican and libertarians going Democrat.

Very interesting. Are these high speed electric pods something you've come up with, or are they a vision from someone else that you've read about?

Well, I basically made it up, although I imagine somebody else has thought of the same thing someplace. For one thing, I don't think we'll be using petroleum-powered transportation anymore in 100 years. Regardless of supply, environmental and national-security concerns, it's hard to imagine we won't find far more efficient energy sources. The automated pod concept would basically replace all current modes of transportation...car, bus, train, plane, truck. You would, essentially, select the spot on the globe where you want to go and the guidance system would plot the fastest route. They would still use "highways" and "streets", but these would be some kind of electro-magnetic pathways. The guidance system combined with a network of traffic-control computers would "pace and space" the pods appropriately to avoid congestion and, of course, collisions.

Large pods would carry the freight now transported by trains and trucks. Since the routes are pre-programmed anyway, no drivers would be required. Long distance travel would employ the same pods running on "express" lanes of the highway network. Pods would be able to run at airplane-type speeds or faster. To facilitate transcontinental travel, a series of tunnels would be constructed between Alaska and Russia under the 50-mile wide Bering Straits. Ferry aircraft would be used to shuttle pods across the North Atlantic as a shortcut until a network of "tubes" could be constructed from Canada to Greenland to Iceland to Scotland.

*Demographically, the metro area is about 40% African-American, 30% Hispanic, 25% White and 5% other. While integration is common, the "old city" areas (Shelby County) are more heavily white, the Tennessee and Mississippi suburbs more heavily black, and the Arkansas communities more Hispanic. Black communities vote heavily Republican (a trend that originates in 2012 with the election of the first African-American President), Hispanic areas go Democrat, and the white vote is usually split 50/50, with socially conservative voters going Republican and libertarians going Democrat.

What, Graceland will be gone, too ? :cry:

As for predicting political dynamics in 100 years, that would he hard to do. After all, 100 years ago in Memphis, what few Blacks who could vote were virtually 100% Republican and Whites there were probably 85%+ Democrat. Assuming this nation survives, it's quite possible the two parties as they stand may no longer exist. I'd predict the GOP lasts longer than the Democrats, since the latter consists of so many different specialized interest groups that they opt to go their own way. The GOP itself might likely see its more liberal RINO members forming its own party (although perhaps even taking over the regular party apparatus) and/or the Conservatives forming a "Traditionalist" Party (pro-Constitution, pro-Religion).

Predicting the racial demographics could prove even trickier. If the problem with unchecked immigration in this country persists, Memphis (and many other areas) could become profoundly Hispanic with Whites and Blacks well in the minority. In 2106, Mexico becomes a majority-White country in "retaliation" for the Aztlan invasion as American Whites move in en masse to "take over." Canada becomes a majority Black country as they move in en masse tired of being the "3rd place" race in America with Conservative Party member Harold Ford, V, becoming its first "Black" Prime Minister (even though he is as White as a sheet and has long flowing blonde hair and blue eyes). :blink:

Ah, they were allowed to vote, as long as they voted Democrat (Crump bacame Mayor in 1910). Try to vote any other way, and a noose awaited them.

Hardly. Memphis had a black republican machine as well. This wasn't Mississippi and they didn't hang people for voting.

George W. Lee ran the machine. When there was a republican president, he and Church controlled federal patronage in Shelby County.

"Known on the streets of early twentieth-century Memphis as "Lieutenant Lee," both for his army service as a lieutenant in World War I and as the lieutenant for the powerful African American capitalist and Republican Party leader Robert Church Sr."

http://tennesseeencyclopedia.net/imagegall...hp?EntryID=L020

Hardly. Memphis had a black republican machine as well. This wasn't Mississippi and they didn't hang people for voting.

I am familiar with Mr. Church and well aware that there was a Black GOP apparatus, but they were still effectively toothless. We had Black GOP members here in Nashville, but aside from getting an occasional member on the old City Council (of which the most legendary was Z. Alexander Looby), they, too, were largely rendered irrelevent to the overall political process (unless they "cooperated" with the White Democrat establishment, and then just received crumbs and not much else).

My predictions:

25 years after becoming the Memphis/Tunica metro area, the Memphis MSA now is estimated to be at 15-18 million people with urban areas focused around downtown, East Memphis, Tunica, Oxford, and Tupelo. Rail service connects most of the metro area along with service going to Nashville, Little Rock, Atlanta, Dallas, New Orleans, and Chicago. Furthermore, FedEx has completely taken over what was once Memphis International and later Willie Herenton International. The corporation has run into major issues with the highly affluent Whitehaven/Graceland community considering that it is one of the many hot tourist areas. Studies are being conducted to move the FedEx operations into a riverside airport in Millington and turning the current airport site into a massive urbanization project similar to Tokyo's Roponji Hills with numerous towers for office and residential spaces. Northwest, after moving out of Memphis in the Spring of 2007, completely folded the following winter after a substantial blizzard shut down its hubs in Detroit and Minneapolis as well as the Indianapolis focus city, thus leading to no revenue for the airline for three months (Memphis officials are still laughing about this one)...currently all commercial aviation is done at the very impressive $70 billion Cybill Shephard International (funded by Fred Smith to kick all commercial traffic out of his company's way) where Jet Blue, British Airways, and United run substantial hub operations, respectively. Earthquakes in 2013 and 2040 demonstrated the poor quality of homes built in the ever expanding Tipton County as well as causing havoc in Lakeland...most of the city was fine, but many of the older buildings in Midtown and Downtown were damaged, causing some to question how important preserving the Old South really was. Germantown still remains a butt on sign ordinances (80 foot limit) and building ordinances (70 story height restriction), yet due to the German-Bartlett War of 2020 and the German-Collier War of 2054, the city managed to gain numerous land posessions and tear down those "damned big box" stores up and down Germantown Road and Poplar. Saks, FedEx, International Paper, First Horizon, Regions, AutoZone (soon to be named PodZone), and Scherring Plough remain the cities oldest corporate presences with a HQ, but the city's corporate status is ever expanding due to the tremendous success of the medical, banking, and airline industries.

Archived