FAME

I believe once before I briefly touched on the FAME organization and the music village they want to build in downtown Shreveport, around the site of the Municipal Auditorium. Well, I found the website for the organization, which is actually part of a local architecture firm's website. In order to see the PDF files for the project, it may ask that you provide a little information about yourself. No biggie, takes just a few seconds and then you're on your way. I believe I'm posting a link that takes you around that, but just incase, you were warned. :)

I consider this website a must-see, for one to actually get the scope of the project.

In this PDF file you can see the maps and renderings as you scroll through the pages, as well as read all about the project. I hope this project is able to get off the ground, and with supporters like Kenny Wayne Shepard and Kix Brooks (of Brooks N Dunn,) it should. It's just a matter of time.

FAME foundation website

• 1 month later...

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The owners of the old Bill Hanna Ford site, located next to the Municipal Auditorium, are fighting the mayor's decision to raze the building and construct a surface parking lot for Municipal Auditorium.

This topic is a bit of a double-edged sword to me, as I firmly believe the people should be able to wait until they have the funding to build something on the property, but at the same time the site is a real eyesore. I do not want to see a surface parking lot built on the site, but something does need to be done with the site.

I went to a fight at the Municipal last week, and just looking at that old building next door, you can see that it's obviously beyond repair. From the looks of it, it would cost way too much to renovate it. It will likely wind up needing to be razed anyway, just to build something new on the site. Anything but a parking lot, though, Mr. Mayor.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d.../605230332/1002

On a related subject, a few students of Shreveport's Southwood High School have taken it upon themselves to create a website for the nonprofit FAME, who owns the building. Check that website out here:

http://www.famefoundation.us/

Tickets to Kevin Costner's concert at Municipal Auditorium are now on sale. The concert is a "thank you" from Costner to the Shreveport-Bossier area for accomodating the two movies he's made in this area so far this year.

An excerpt:

"VIP seating includes access to a pre-concert reception, which Costner, (James) Burton and (Hal) Sutton will attend. Johnny Wessler, executive director of the Friends of the Municipal Auditorium, said potential celebrity guests for the reception include Ashton Kutcher ('The Guardian'), Demi Moore ('Mr. Brooks') and Dane Cook ('Mr. Brooks')."

The full article:

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d.../605250335/1002

Anything but a parking lot, though, Mr. Mayor.

It's too bad that FAME project never happened. It looks like the city is going to move forward with expropriation. But I definitely agree with you, anything BUT a parking lot! From a planner's point of view, it's a cardinal sin.

It's too bad that FAME project never happened. It looks like the city is going to move forward with expropriation. But I definitely agree with you, anything BUT a parking lot! From a planner's point of view, it's a cardinal sin.

It should be a cardinal sin from the city's point of view as well. It's truly a shame. :angry:

Here's the only photo I could find with this old, dilapidated building in it. It's the building on the right... sorry I don't have a better shot of it!

150018491.jpg

THanks for posting that Brian. Well, if they demolish the building and build a parking lot, they'll just be trading one eye sore for another. I guess it could be worse. Maybe it will at least be a concrete parking lot. :)

THanks for posting that Brian. Well, if they demolish the building and build a parking lot, they'll just be trading one eye sore for another. I guess it could be worse. Maybe it will at least be a concrete parking lot. :)

Oh yeah concrete... unlike that big, black slab that Hightower built with no one else's knowledge, near the Stoner Boat Launch. Lucky for him, the city finally built a "skate plaza" to go with that parking lot. Good cover! :lol:

You're right, though, they would only be trading one eyesore for another. I'd much rather see someone well-known in the area come forward and offer to help the Warwicks to see their dream come true. But I know that's not going to happen.

• 3 weeks later...

Louisiana Spirits, a statewide ghost hunting group, conducted an investigation last week of the Municipal Auditorium. Their findings are posted here for all to see:

http://www.laspirits.com/auditorium.html

FYI: on the heels of this investigation, another paranormal investigation group called ORION will be investigating the same building tonight. KTBS' Rick Rowe will stay with them and report his experiences tomorrow morning, bright and early on KTBS 3 First News.

Very interesting. Let us now what they say on KTBS News in the morning. Thanks

Was this the same place you had posted on a while back ? I can look.

I've talked about this place a few times, but this isn't the building that all those really ornate interior shots were from... that was the Scottish Rite Temple. I haven't (yet) taken any interior photos of the Municipal.

I've got tomorrow morning's newscast set to record so I'll watch it after work and report back here, hopefully tomorrow evening. :)

• 7 months later...

Archived