Providence Sports

jencoleslaw

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We just came back from the Paw Sox home opener! Tons of fun. Despite the cold weather, it was a packed house at McCoy Field (which means about 10,500). The Paw Sox won the tied game in a thrilling bottom of the 9th, sending the crowd out on a high.

For baseball fans, tomorrow's game might be worth going to. Starting for the Paw Sox will be David Wells (!!), tuning up before he starts at Fenway in about a week.

- Garris

How bout a donut eating contest? I can personally down a dozen krispy kremes in one sitting.

i knew i couldn't be the only one... although i've only done 7... but that wasn't because i couldn't do the other 5... it was more the disgusted looks i was getting. :P

i'm all for a UP kickball team... as long as there's beer afterwards. :alc:

actually speaking of eating... spikes does hot dog eating contests every now and then... and they are wimpy hot dogs like nathan's... anyone can eat 50 nathan's hot dogs... but spikes? hmmm...

Start a donut thread and make Recchia moderator.

Wow, that sounded like a great night at McCoy! I've been to a few openers and there were 2-3,000 people there because its basically still winter in RI when baseball season kicks off. I've never been to a game that sold out since the big renovation.

How many people made the last meeting? I've been to a few kick-ass PawSox barbeques over the years, and this forum is definitely growing.

We just came back from the Paw Sox home opener! Tons of fun. Despite the cold weather, it was a packed house at McCoy Field (which means about 10,500). The Paw Sox won the tied game in a thrilling bottom of the 9th, sending the crowd out on a high.

For baseball fans, tomorrow's game might be worth going to. Starting for the Paw Sox will be David Wells (!!), tuning up before he starts at Fenway in about a week.

I'm hoping to be at Sunday's game which has Jon Lester slated to start. He is pretty much the Sox best prospect.

I just got a new digi and will try to remember it and snap pics.

Anyone know any indoor or outdoor basketball courts that have good pick-up or league games for adults?

On a related note, how bizarre is it that none of the Y's in the city have a basketball court?

i think the rec centers do. I'm pretty sure that the one on Federal Hill has some sort of league, although maybe its wiffleball.

Anyone know any indoor or outdoor basketball courts that have good pick-up or league games for adults?

On a related note, how bizarre is it that none of the Y's in the city have a basketball court?

there's an outdoor court just off smith st in elmhurst. it's on april ct, the next street up from river ave. when it's warmer, there's always people playing there... i imagine you could join in. there's also an outdoor court farther up smith in north providence sort of near fruit hill ave.

Come to think of it, the whole Providence metro is kinda lacking in basketball courts. I know the ones in Auburn in Cranston are always packed, but other than, I've never really seen many.

Anybody know of any in Pawtucket?

Come to think of it, the whole Providence metro is kinda lacking in basketball courts. I know the ones in Auburn in Cranston are always packed, but other than, I've never really seen many.

Anybody know of any in Pawtucket?

there is one down the street from my house next to the Oak Hill Tennis Courts.

Look at it here:

Live local

There is one in Slater Park.

not sure where else.

The Celtic's probably wouldn't like that. :D

I'm figuring it's probably a D-league team if anything at all. Providence is currently renovating the dunkin donuts center. When it's re-done it will still not be up to the level that an NBA team would require. The metro is a still of medium size and has a huge cultural connection with Boston. I would not be surprised if they go ahead and name their D-league team the Providence Celtics to complete the Providence as Boston's minor league city trifecta, though I think that each D-League team is affiliated with 2 NBA teams.

I'm figuring it's probably a D-league team if anything at all. Providence is currently renovating the dunkin donuts center. When it's re-done it will still not be up to the level that an NBA team would require. The metro is a still of medium size and has a huge cultural connection with Boston. I would not be surprised if they go ahead and name their D-league team the Providence Celtics to complete the Providence as Boston's minor league city trifecta, though I think that each D-League team is affiliated with 2 NBA teams.

I never even heard of the D league? What other cities are in the league?

Archived