Providence Sports

jencoleslaw

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

coerce PC to fire welsh. that's their only hope.

Kind of off topic, but I thought I heard someone (was it even at a GC:PVD meeting?) talking about how PC may be bumped from the Big East if they don't whip BB into shape and raise the calibur of some of their other sports teams. Is this a possibility?

- Garris

Kind of off topic, but I thought I heard someone (was it even at a GC:PVD meeting?) talking about how PC may be bumped from the Big East if they don't whip BB into shape and raise the calibur of some of their other sports teams. Is this a possibility?

- Garris

i'm not sure on that. i do know that the problem the team has is not the players. they're capable. the coaching is awful though.

PC does have a good track program (someone from PC went to the most recent summer olympics). they used to have a great baseball team that was removed the season after they won the big east because of some title IX stuff.

they used to have a great baseball team

Yeah Lou Merloni played there!

I doubt they'd be removed from the Big East. They'd have to be terrible for a long period of time before that happened. This will be a good year to get tix to some good opponents.

- Garris

continuing with the ot discussion:

No. Providence is a charter member of the Big East. Although the men's and women's teams have struggled lately, PC is very competitive in other sports. PC's biggest success is in men's and women's cross country. Both teams are perennial powers, are ranked in the top 25 every year, and have produced world-class runners who go on to have successful olympic and professional careers. Many continue to live and train in Providence after they graduate.

Both basketball teams look to be in better shape this year as well. It's always a fun atmosphere at the Dunk.

PC played an instrumental part in the formation of the Big East. In fact, the Big East offices are located in the Jewelry District.

continuing with the ot discussion:

No. Providence is a charter member of the Big East. Although the men's and women's teams have struggled lately, PC is very competitive in other sports. PC's biggest success is in men's and women's cross country. Both teams are perennial powers, are ranked in the top 25 every year, and have produced world-class runners who go on to have successful olympic and professional careers. Many continue to live and train in Providence after they graduate.

Both basketball teams look to be in better shape this year as well. It's always a fun atmosphere at the Dunk.

PC played an instrumental part in the formation of the Big East. In fact, the Big East offices are located in the Jewelry District.

The thing with the Big East that may force Providence from it is, the Football v. Basketball school money issue. The Big East is a major player in the TV contracts of ABC and ESPN. Schools like PC, GTown, Villnova, St. Johns; and other catholic schools get money for simply being in the Big East. Schools like West Virgina, Syracuse, and Pittsburg all dont like the idea of sharing the revenue that they produce by being big palyers in the college football scene.

But if a split between the football vs. basketball-only schools happens, it will be the football schools leaving the Big East, not the other way around.

Thats not diffinitive. Nor is the split. In theroy the football schools could leave the big east and change the conferance name. I wish PC had the funds to create a football program (yeah right, cant even get baseball). What will more then likly happen is after the contracts(tv) start to come to an end, the big east will consider the split or a resolution of some sort that will push the schools like g-town that have a 1-aa football program to make the leap into big boy game of 1-a. If that were to happen the schools that dont have a football program at all, PC, St. Johns, and Notre Dame (who is an indipendent football school, meaning they dont play in a division) will more then likly be givin a fare share of the net created by the bball earnings.

The Big East Football is not even close to being the Pac 10, the Big 10, or the Big 12, but i think they do trump the SEC, ACC, and Conference USA. The Basketball on the other hand is almost a small universe in the college Basketball picture. A mid ranking school in the big east is top tier school in almost every other conference.

Thats not diffinitive. Nor is the split. In theroy the football schools could leave the big east and change the conferance name. I wish PC had the funds to create a football program (yeah right, cant even get baseball). What will more then likly happen is after the contracts(tv) start to come to an end, the big east will consider the split or a resolution of some sort that will push the schools like g-town that have a 1-aa football program to make the leap into big boy game of 1-a. If that were to happen the schools that dont have a football program at all, PC, St. Johns, and Notre Dame (who is an indipendent football school, meaning they dont play in a division) will more then likly be givin a fare share of the net created by the bball earnings.

The Big East Football is not even close to being the Pac 10, the Big 10, or the Big 12, but i think they do trump the SEC, ACC, and Conference USA. The Basketball on the other hand is almost a small universe in the college Basketball picture. A mid ranking school in the big east is top tier school in almost every other conference.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT???? How is the Big East better than the SEC in football? That's the biggest joke I've ever read on the internet. SEC year in and year out has the best programs in college football... LSU, Florida, Auburn, Alabama, Georgia. They also have a team in the National championship game almost every single year... LSU was national champions a few years back. The Big East has no schools even close to their level.

PC will never have a football team. There isnt' enough room on the campus for anything remotely stadium-like, and Title IX plays a huge role in everything. Baseball is gone because of Title IX, Men's Tennis is gone because of Title IX. Golf is gone because of Title IX. All of these sports would return wayyyy before football ever made an appearance. They were all cut while I was a student there. As an alumni, I don't even want to see a PC football team, it is a waste of time and money, it would take decades to create a decent program. Besides, nobody cares about college football up here, the southern schools will always have better teams. PC is a basketball school, let's keep it that way, and don't mess with the Big East anymore than they have already.

Title IX plays a huge role in everything. Baseball is gone because of Title IX, Men's Tennis is gone because of Title IX. Golf is gone because of Title IX.

The flip side, though, is all the women's scholarships that are out there. I used to work in a bowling house in Arizona, and whenever parents came in who had girls who liked bowling, I'd tell them to ncourage them to get into leagues and competition. There are tons of schools that have women's bowling teams, and you don't even have to be all that great a bowler to get a scholarship. There are scholarships out there that actually go begging because the schools can't find enough bowlers to take the money!

Urb

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT???? How is the Big East better than the SEC in football? That's the biggest joke I've ever read on the internet. SEC year in and year out has the best programs in college football... LSU, Florida, Auburn, Alabama, Georgia. They also have a team in the National championship game almost every single year... LSU was national champions a few years back. The Big East has no schools even close to their level.

LSU was co national champions. How ever i will concede my point. The sec was pushing it a bit. With all due respect Programs like Lousville and Rutgers that is now breaking the top 25, and West Virgina is now a powerhouse. You will see the big east rise is college football.

The thing with the Big East that may force Providence from it is, the Football v. Basketball school money issue. The Big East is a major player in the TV contracts of ABC and ESPN. Schools like PC, GTown, Villnova, St. Johns; and other catholic schools get money for simply being in the Big East. Schools like West Virgina, Syracuse, and Pittsburg all dont like the idea of sharing the revenue that they produce by being big palyers in the college football scene.

Big East and ESPN planning to really air it out

Their new TV rights deal for football and basketball will put more conference games on the tube than ever and help publicize the cable giant's newest platforms.

http://www.projo.com/college/content/projo...st.3135c0e.html

I just want to make sure that everyone knows that I was in no way knocking Title IX. It's just too bad to see some programs get the axe.

knock title IX all you want. it's in part a detriment to great successful programs, like PC's big east championship baseball team that fell victim to it.

for the record, some of you may not know this, but PC actually had a football team at one point. the guy who runs mr lemon showed me a pic of it. i think it was from the late 80's or early 90's. i was shocked.

oh yeah, and since you went to PC and know they don't have much property for a stadium... they own the valueland property on smith st. they wanted to use it for a sport fields, but it would have cost too much to clean up the toxic waste on the property.

oh yeah, and since you went to PC and know they don't have much property for a stadium... they own the valueland property on smith st. they wanted to use it for a sport fields, but it would have cost too much to clean up the toxic waste on the property.

It was also the same area that helped PC get some leverage for fixing up the "Dump" i mean "Dunk". PC did have a football team, much like URI has a hockey team. At the club level. No scolerships were ever offered only appropreations like any other organization on campus.

Now-- The best chance the state currently has for having a sucsessful 1-a program is Bryant University. JWU will never have anything over a 3-a sports program, and URI well the potential is there and kills me to see them get hit over the head by teams like Delaware. The Bryant program has made leap and bounds in their sports department that gives me hope for a 1-a situation.

Truly and honestly, I would love for PC to bring back Baseball, it's a sin that it no longer exist. I dont blame IX. Females deserve equal rights on all platforms. However, after reading that article, it makes me wonder if the wheels are already turning for the renisance of the baseball team. Given the fact that the basketball program will now bring in an extra 1.1 million with no added cost to the school, all that extra money has to go to something... any ideas?

It was also the same area that helped PC get some leverage for fixing up the "Dump" i mean "Dunk". PC did have a football team, much like URI has a hockey team. At the club level. No scolerships were ever offered only appropreations like any other organization on campus.

Now-- The best chance the state currently has for having a sucsessful 1-a program is Bryant University. JWU will never have anything over a 3-a sports program, and URI well the potential is there and kills me to see them get hit over the head by teams like Delaware. The Bryant program has made leap and bounds in their sports department that gives me hope for a 1-a situation.

Truly and honestly, I would love for PC to bring back Baseball, it's a sin that it no longer exist. I dont blame IX. Females deserve equal rights on all platforms. However, after reading that article, it makes me wonder if the wheels are already turning for the renisance of the baseball team. Given the fact that the basketball program will now bring in an extra 1.1 million with no added cost to the school, all that extra money has to go to something... any ideas?

my issue with title IX is that it forces schools to put money towards sports teams that may not have any interest or even enough interest to start up a team. what sport did they have to bring in when they got rid of baseball? while PC does have some successful women's teams (cross country, track, hockey, and i think soccer), they're all shadowed by the supposedly good basketball team (which really sucks).

is that extra 1.1 mil for PC or for the state/city? if it's for the college, i'd love to see them bring back baseball.

The ratio of men to women at PC is the reason why they had to get rid of the men's teams, funding was not available/allowed for the men's teams. When I was there, Valueland was going to be used for existing sports, freeing up space on the main campus for construction. I've always felt that PC should buy out the neighborhood down to Douglas, extend the campus behind Fennel Hall. It would complement the revitalization of lower campus, and get more students to live on-campus, allowing for working class people to rent on the side streets once again.

while PC does have some successful women's teams (cross country, track, hockey, and i think soccer), they're all shadowed by the supposedly good basketball team (which really sucks).

Thats a very poor judgement of a team that plays against the best teams in college basketball, and will contiue to play them this year. Teams like defending National Champions Flodida, Florida State, Boston College and they will do this with a very young team. This is deffinitly not the team of three years ago that basically was in the top 25 all year long... (which really sucks)

Thats a very poor judgement of a team that plays against the best teams in college basketball, and will contiue to play them this year. Teams like defending National Champions Flodida, Florida State, Boston College and they will do this with a very young team. This is deffinitly not the team of three years ago that basically was in the top 25 all year long... (which really sucks)

being at the bottom of the top 25 doesn't do much... they had an all american and couldn't even make the NCAA tourney.

i have pretty close ties to PC, while not having gone there. i want to see them win. their coach needs to be canned. period. they get a better coach, they'll have a winning team. last year they lost some pretty easy games against some teams they should have beat. the players aren't bad... the coach is.

The ratio of men to women at PC is the reason why they had to get rid of the men's teams, funding was not available/allowed for the men's teams. When I was there, Valueland was going to be used for existing sports, freeing up space on the main campus for construction. I've always felt that PC should buy out the neighborhood down to Douglas, extend the campus behind Fennel Hall. It would complement the revitalization of lower campus, and get more students to live on-campus, allowing for working class people to rent on the side streets once again.

i'm not sure more students will live on campus. there's not a serious shortage of campus housing. but i agree that PC should try to buy out all the way to douglas. this is probably better for a different thread, but PC is in the process of creating a separate school of business to get the program accredited. it might result in the creation of a school of liberal arts and sciences as well and maybe even fine arts. but they're saying that they won't become a university (which i think is a poor move) and students don't have to worry about having a degree from "PU" or "UP". i think they should move towards university status regardless of being PU or UP. the school is already one of the top ranked masters level colleges in the region... why not build upon that? i think it's narrow thinking to keep it a small liberal arts religious college. while those are great roots, they could become a university and still keep the student population pretty close to where it is. it would allow the academic administration to have better control over the faculty and what goes on... because believe me, the budgeting and everything is insane.

but building out to douglas would not only give them more room, it would prevent them from killing all the currenly available greenspace on campus (which isn't much). there's thoughts to building a new dorm in front of the quad closing it off with the new building between meagher and mcdermott. building new buildings in lower campus in that neighborhood, which is pretty run down, would allow them to tear down existing buildings for complete renovation. it would also give the college more reason to get involved in neighborhood affairs of what is already a neighborhood in need of some love (the douglas ave area between eaton and admiral).

being at the bottom of the top 25 doesn't do much... they had an all american and couldn't even make the NCAA tourney.

i have pretty close ties to PC, while not having gone there. i want to see them win. their coach needs to be canned. period. they get a better coach, they'll have a winning team. last year they lost some pretty easy games against some teams they should have beat. the players aren't bad... the coach is.

I completely disagree. With Ryan Gomes in his Jr. year the team was much better then in his Sr. year. He had zero help in terms of another stand out player in his last season. Last year was a result of a young team. Three starting freshmen does not make you a bad coach. Being ranked # 12 in the country just 3 seasons ago isnt that bad, nor is a #3 ranking in the big east tournament. I could keep piling on stats, but it is spelled the same way front and back. Providence is an elite team in the shadows.

2 Sr. 3 Jr. and all underclassmen. I cant wait till we get to see Fr. standout Ryan Hall. This kid is 6-11 and 275 lbs. Very "Shaq" like. Just simply a monster on the boards. Efejuku, McDermott, and Curry all started last year. Throw in Herbert Hill (who is red shirting) and Hanke, and you have a very young (please allow me to contradict myself) vetern team by big east standards. My prediction is that PC will be this years Villinova... Becouse of good coaching...

I completely disagree. With Ryan Gomes in his Jr. year the team was much better then in his Sr. year. He had zero help in terms of another stand out player in his last season. Last year was a result of a young team. Three starting freshmen does not make you a bad coach. Being ranked # 12 in the country just 3 seasons ago isnt that bad, nor is a #3 ranking in the big east tournament. I could keep piling on stats, but it is spelled the same way front and back. Providence is an elite team in the shadows.

2 Sr. 3 Jr. and all underclassmen. I cant wait till we get to see Fr. standout Ryan Hall. This kid is 6-11 and 275 lbs. Very "Shaq" like. Just simply a monster on the boards. Efejuku, McDermott, and Curry all started last year. Throw in Herbert Hill (who is red shirting) and Hanke, and you have a very young (please allow me to contradict myself) vetern team by big east standards. My prediction is that PC will be this years Villinova... Becouse of good coaching...

the reason gomes had no one to help back him up his senior year was because of the coach. they played "get the ball to gomes" mostly. they had donnie mcgrath who welsh loved and kept starting who couldn't make a shot to save his life. he had a couple standout moments, but in general he sucked, and always choked.

you wanna see good coaching, go next door over to CT. that's a coach. welsh, not so much. he doesn't know the value of teamwork and plays favorites.

Archived