Providence Sports

jencoleslaw

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would not be surprised if they go ahead and name their D-league team the Providence Celtics to complete the Providence as Boston's minor league city trifecta, though I think that each D-League team is affiliated with 2 NBA teams.

Anybody else think our hockey team should be called the R.I. Reds? There was so much history with that old team and the R.I. Auditorium. My grandfather used to tell me stories of going to games on North Main St. Everyone smoked - a huge cloud lingered over the rink all night, and the only thing in between the fans and the teams was some chicken wire. If you sat in the 1st row, you really were in the game - pucks flying at you and all. It was real old time hockey.

I think they should change the name back when they open the new renovated arena. Anybody else with me?

Go Reds Go!

Anybody else think our hockey team should be called the R.I. Reds? There was so much history with that old team and the R.I. Auditorium. My grandfather used to tell me stories of going to games on North Main St. Everyone smoked - a huge cloud lingered over the rink all night, and the only thing in between the fans and the teams was some chicken wire. If you sat in the 1st row, you really were in the game - pucks flying at you and all. It was real old time hockey.

I think they should change the name back when they open the new renovated arena. Anybody else with me?

Go Reds Go!

agreed... there's a lot of history for a lot of smaller cities and their hockey teams. new haven had several hockey teams. started out with the blades, then the nighthawks, then the senators, then the beast. why couldn't they stick with the same name? i think the blades stopped playing and then a new team came in as the nighthawks. they were bought out by the ottowa senators and forced the name change. they left new haven. a new team came in as the beast. i was really pissed when the nighthawks became the senators. that was just dumb.

but yes, they should change the name of the bruins to the reds. i think we need our own identity independent of boston. they should change the name of the pawtucket red sox too... i think it'd be funny to do a play on family guy and name them the pawtucket patriots, but people would think they're a football team.

I'm figuring it's probably a D-league team if anything at all. Providence is currently renovating the dunkin donuts center. When it's re-done it will still not be up to the level that an NBA team would require. The metro is a still of medium size and has a huge cultural connection with Boston. I would not be surprised if they go ahead and name their D-league team the Providence Celtics to complete the Providence as Boston's minor league city trifecta, though I think that each D-League team is affiliated with 2 NBA teams.

Yeah, it's definitely going to be a minor-league-type team. I'd love to see it happen.

The closest D-league teams to here are in the south, places like Roanoke & Fayetteville. If it is the D-league, I wonder if more teams are planned in this area.

agreed... there's a lot of history for a lot of smaller cities and their hockey teams. new haven had several hockey teams. started out with the blades, then the nighthawks, then the senators, then the beast. why couldn't they stick with the same name?

They do it to sell more team apparel. Same reason teams (esp. NFL) change their uniform design every couple years. New Haven Blades just sounds cool. They should've kept it, but now there's no AHL team in town at all.

I'm not ready to change PawSox though. What should the team be renamed?

They do it to sell more team apparel. Same reason teams (esp. NFL) change their uniform design every couple years. New Haven Blades just sounds cool. They should've kept it, but now there's no AHL team in town at all.

I'm not ready to change PawSox though. What should the team be renamed?

the movie slapshot was indirectly about the new haven blades. but alas, no arena in new haven anymore. :cry:

don't know what the pawsox should become... if it actually was pawsox, that'd be fine, but it's really the pawtucket red sox.

the movie slapshot was indirectly about the new haven blades. but alas, no arena in new haven anymore. :cry:

don't know what the pawsox should become... if it actually was pawsox, that'd be fine, but it's really the pawtucket red sox.

the pawsox should change if we no longer have any polar bears. Just like the zoo logo features the polar bear, if we killed off or relocated all our bears, why are they the defacto symbol of both these entities? I find it a little insensitive, actually.

the pawsox should change if we no longer have any polar bears. Just like the zoo logo features the polar bear, if we killed off or relocated all our bears, why are they the defacto symbol of both these entities? I find it a little insensitive, actually.

we have polar bears living in RI? who knew?

we have polar bears living in RI? who knew?

does your mother know you're online during the school day?

:lol: kidding.

we did have polar bears at the zoo. they were the showpiece of the zoo. Trixie, Norton and their cubs. Norton got traded, the cubs sent away and trixie was killed last summer in some freak relocation accident. Now, we got bupkis for polar bears.

does your mother know you're online during the school day?

:lol: kidding.

we did have polar bears at the zoo. they were the showpiece of the zoo. Trixie, Norton and their cubs. Norton got traded, the cubs sent away and trixie was killed last summer in some freak relocation accident. Now, we got bupkis for polar bears.

i was in the zoo not all that long ago. might've been last month. they were renovating the polar bear exhibit and i think bringing it back.

i was in the zoo not all that long ago. might've been last month. they were renovating the polar bear exhibit and i think bringing it back.

i don't know where they're getting the polar bears from...it isn't like you can just put out a pick-in-ick basket and catch them in Johnston or something.

i don't know where they're getting the polar bears from...it isn't like you can just put out a pick-in-ick basket and catch them in Johnston or something.

I would imagine another zoo, although we will likely have global warming induced polar bear refugees before too long.

maybe they will just bleach some other bears.

the deal with polar bears is that the only ones available are babies from breeding couples and we had one of the more succesful breeding couples...maybe Norton has a new wife and they've been successful, but polar bears are hard to get, even from other zoos.

I went to the Zoo on New Years Day and remember reading the placard they had outside the Polar Bear exhibit about how they had temporarily relocated the polar bears during renovation of the exhibit.

The Zoo's polar bear page does not give much detail, anyone else remember reading this? Not sure where they went.

http://www.rogerwilliamsparkzoo.org/what_t...a_polarbear.cfm

Found another article about it, mainly about Trixie. She was to be transferred to Indianapolis Zoo until '07. They mentioned Norton too, but dont say where. Love the attention to detail in projo articles, but I guess it was really about Trixie.

http://www.projo.com/news/content/projo_20...02.228319b.html

i freely admit to being a crazy cat lady and animal sentimentalist, but continue to remain horrified at the lack of response from the city on Trixie's death. There should have been a wake of sorts, some sort of public funeral for the beloved bear, a pledge to get another polar bear ASAP--anything! instead, there's that pathetic "apology for our construction" note on the website with mention of the bears in their present tense--not even updated! and still polarbear logos all over the place. I don't know why it bothers me so much but it does, damnit. It just seems that while it was an unfortunate accident that she died, that it was "no biggie." I'm sure the zoo people were really upset, but it sure didn't/doesn't translate and it doesn't allow for any public closure on it.

btw, Norton is in Detroit.

http://www.detroitzoo.org/Attractions/ARL/Norton/

:shok: What happened to the coliseum? I went to a party there in July '01, never knew they tore it down. Are they building a new arena?

:shok: What happened to the coliseum? I went to a party there in July '01, never knew they tore it down. Are they building a new arena?

it's still "there" technically speaking, or at least the garage is there. you can see some of the seats when you drive by it on the rt 34 extension. it's basically hollowed out. last i knew, they were planning on putting in office/residential space there. new haven will no longer have an arena. it's the biggest mistake the city is making. they decided they couldn't compete with the modern arenas like bridgeport and hartford (yet they still got lots of concerts there, and new haven was a big hockey town, at least before they turned into the senators). had they modernized the place and fixed up the neighborhood (and dealt with the lack of parking nearby), it could've been great and i think it could've competed quite well with bridgeport and hartford (probably pulling in more tahn bridgeport does).

it's still "there" technically speaking, or at least the garage is there. you can see some of the seats when you drive by it on the rt 34 extension. it's basically hollowed out. last i knew, they were planning on putting in office/residential space there. new haven will no longer have an arena. it's the biggest mistake the city is making. they decided they couldn't compete with the modern arenas like bridgeport and hartford (yet they still got lots of concerts there, and new haven was a big hockey town, at least before they turned into the senators). had they modernized the place and fixed up the neighborhood (and dealt with the lack of parking nearby), it could've been great and i think it could've competed quite well with bridgeport and hartford (probably pulling in more tahn bridgeport does).

Speaking of Bridgeport and Hartford, P-bruins playoff sunday + tuesday...

I think Mohegan Sun Arena really cut into its business as well ... at least that's what the local paper said...

• 3 months later...

Archived