Southend & Mud Island

Bears

A couple of articles on these neighborhoods downtown.

http://www.memphisdailynews.com/Editorial/...d.aspx?id=92305

Foriegners moving downtown is a good sign. It gives the city somewhat of a cosmopolitan feel and good word of mouth publicity. I actually saw an ad covering a mini-cab in London with the Memphis CVB logo on it.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/local/...4599292,00.html

Now that Mud Island is done, will this mean we'll start seeing more skyscrapers develop downtown? We have 3 towers planned at once now plus a buncha 3-10 story midrises. Once Greyhound is gone, it might house the citys new tallest (if not somewhere in East Memphis).

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of articles on these neighborhoods downtown.

http://www.memphisdailynews.com/Editorial/...d.aspx?id=92305

Foriegners moving downtown is a good sign. It gives the city somewhat of a cosmopolitan feel and good word of mouth publicity. I actually saw an ad covering a mini-cab in London with the Memphis CVB logo on it.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/local/...4599292,00.html

Now that Mud Island is done, will this mean we'll start seeing more skyscrapers develop downtown? We have 3 towers planned at once now plus a buncha 3-10 story midrises. Once Greyhound is gone, it might house the citys new tallest (if not somewhere in East Memphis).

The CA article says there are already 1000 homes on Mud Island. I didn't realize there were that many, and Beazer is doing 175 more condo units on the island, and Turley is doing 45 condos with sale prices of $500,000. Wow!

Last I read, there were 3,080 condo units in conversion, proposed, or u/c. I guess this ups it to 3,300.

Will probably hit 4,000 by the end of the year.

I think before Memphis sees another residential highrise, the 3 proposed will have to get off the ground a bit more. I know the Horizon is preselling, and I guess One Beale is as well. Don't have a clue what the Vue is doing.

At the other end of downtown---

I like this quote from the Daily News: "So much is happening in South Main that trying to keep track of all the new business openings, the condo announcements and the stream of new residents almost is an exercise in futility."

Once Greyhound is gone, it might house the citys new tallest (if not somewhere in East Memphis).

I read an article a while back about Richard Clark? whose grandfather built Clark Tower and he has plans to build a 63 story office tower somewhere in Arlington or Collierville (I think?). I don't know exactly where it was, but it wasn't downtown or east memphis :blink: When I come across that CA article, I'll post it.

I read an article a while back about Richard Clark? whose grandfather built Clark Tower and he has plans to build a 63 story office tower somewhere in Arlington or Collierville (I think?). I don't know exactly where it was, but it wasn't downtown or east memphis :blink: When I come across that CA article, I'll post it.

I think its 63 buildings but keep hope alive :thumbsup: The Germantown thread is talking about how they want to expand their tax base so maybe at the old Walmart or where K-Mart and Best Buy use to be on Riverdale and Winchester.

I found it. I think it deserves a separate thread.

Archived